Skip to content

What are some restrictions I can have that make the game challenging for a new player

XobehXobeh Member Posts: 10
I'm fairly familiar the ruleset and have played a fair bit. I'm playing with the mod called Battle Enhancer. It only works with BG1 to my knowledge.

I've never actually completed the game but I don't want it to be "easy". In terms of "stack wands, potions, scrolls, kill things.

So far my plan is taking Imoen, Minsc and whoever else. Main character is a wild mage/cleric (edited save).
All I came up with so far is: don't save and reload during fights (I'm keeping reloading to a minimum. If five out of six die and I have to travel to resurrect them, that's fine but a party wipe means a reload). I'm going with that only arcane magic based characters can use wands. Scrolls can only be used by mages.
I'm trying to come up with a realistic limit on scrolls/potions/wands, etc. But I have never played far enough to have a basic idea on what I need.

Other than only resting at inns or where it seems safe (ie explored most of the area) and setting a limit on how much gold I can have at once and keeping it on core difficulty, I'm not sure how else I can make it more challenging.

One thing I'm curious of, how does enemy respawning work? Do enemies respawn if I leave the area and renter it? For example going from the first area with Imoen after Gorion dies, to the Inn and then travelling back to that area, will enemies respawn if I haven't rested or do I need to rest to have enemies respawn?

Oh and a note for mods: I didn't put this in the challenge section since I felt it was better here to get a better general idea of how to make the game harder without doing a specific challenge.
Post edited by Xobeh on

Comments

• ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Can you restrain yourself from recharging wands? Also: treat the game like a pen and paper RPG -- use your potions, scrolls, wands right away. Roleplay reactions.

Also: run away if someone gets killed.
  • XobehXobeh Member Posts: 10
    Wands can be recharged? I never knew that. But I agree, having them recharged is too powerful. I'll use a limit for the weaker wands I think. I do tend to play it as a roguelike where I feel using consumables is needed. For example, gibberlings, can be easily taken down but something like a bear would have my party use consumables to buff, "just in case".

Running away is an interesting idea; at the very least it would have me lose their equipment (or rather I'd ignore it if I come back by it). Can quest items be lost this way? I don't mind if it's just side quest items.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    - Some enemies respawn, some don't. The ones that respawn may do so even if you're still on the same map, as long as the respawn point is out of sight.
    - You can recharge wands and other items by selling them to a merchant and buying them back.
    - Most scrolls and stronger wands can only be used by arcane casters anyway, so that restriction won't affect the difficulty much.
    - One way to (mildly) limit consumables is to just never buy them.
    - Honestly, it's a difficult game anyway. Your first playthrough will be fun even if you use ever resource available to you.
  • XobehXobeh Member Posts: 10
    Enemies thing sounds interesting; I'll be more opening to resting in the wilderness when I need it, asin when all spells are hone, party nearly dead, etc.

Wand recharging sounds more like an unseen effect instead of a purposely designed mechanic. I really can't see any roleplay reason to use it.

I'm fine buying consumables. I just don't intend to overload on them. Only a few potions. Rare ones would be limited party wide.

I do intend on using everything. I'm just limiting it so I can try out a more realistic roleplay yet challenging attempt.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I basically agree with @joluv. For potions, maybe only buy healing and antidote potions. There are some other potions (like the various anti-magic ones) that are reasonably common in shops but very rare as loot, which also happen to be incredibly powerful.

Honestly though, I find that if you refuse to rest constantly and don't go out of your way to take advantage of AI or certain recharging exploits, the game becomes reasonably challenging on its own. Personally, I try to minimize in-game clear time, while still doing basically everything. That seems to work well enough, for the most part.