Skip to content

Graphical Issues

ikonomovikonomov Member Posts: 13
edited May 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
I have a monitor that I run at 2560x1440 resolution and I've noticed a problem when I highlight a monster or a character from the party that shows 2 lines of text (name & injury) using TAB. It seems that the two lines are not centered inside the pop-up. This does not happen at lower resolutions.

Another thing I've noticed is that at high resolutions the player's character portrait on the right panel seems to use higher resolution images, while NPCs portraits seem to be at lower resolutions scaled up.

The game's engine seems to try to scale the UI to approximate 1024x768 resolution. At this resolution the item's drawings (when right clicked inside the inventory) seem to be the original images and are not scaled. At higher resolution, however, they seem to be scaled in such a way that the quality of the drawing is much worse than the item drawings at 1024x768. Maybe this is not a big deal for the majority of the people, but there was a lot of work that went into drawing those images in the original game, and I think it adds to the charm of the game. It is a big shame to squander them so ruthlessly. If the game can't scale the images appropriately I think it would be much better to have the images at their original resolution even if that makes them much smaller.

There could be a practical solution to these issues if only the game could be run at custom resolutions. At 1366x768 resolution everything seems to be scaled correctly, yet the game does not have an option to set a specific resolution when run at full screen.

Edit: I made a mod http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58113-mod-bgee-bg2ee-high-resolution-portraits/ that updates all the game's portraits to higher resolution images. Still, I think there is no reason why the UI should use lower resolution images for the right panel and the dialogues when it scales up the images anyways.

Edit #2: The two line pop-up problem I highlighted above also happens on the map, when trying to see the travel time to an area.
Post edited by ikonomov on

Comments

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    You can disable the scaling of UI elements, including the item drawings on the description screens, by going to Options -> Graphics -> Scale user interface. Then the elements are drawn at their original resolution.
  • ikonomovikonomov Member Posts: 13
    Yes I know, but at 2560x1440 it becomes unplayable without scaling. The original BG2 game looked the best at 1024x768 and EE scales everything to around 1366x768 on my monitor that has 16:9 aspect ratio, which is the same as 1024x768 except wide. If I set my monitor resolution at 1366x768 everything looks fine, but that requires me to change resolutions every time I run the game. In addition there is no denying it that playing at native resolution and having the UI scale things down looks the best, but the two small bugs I outlined above need to be fixed.