Skip to content

Slayer form question

What is the story on the Slayer change? I have been reluctant to use it at all, but finally had no choice. (In the Mind-flayer dungeon, the door to the overbrain was locked, and we had totally run out of Ilithids to open it). There was literally no other way to get out.

I had two transformations available, and afterward I had only one, even several days later. Are these limited in availability? I understand it's supposed to be a desperation type last resort option; but I'm wondering what determines how many times it can be used. You get a use every chapter, or when certain events happen?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The story behind the Slayer is that it is one of the avatars of Bhaal. As the story progresses, the Bhaal essence within CHARNAME becomes more pronounced (for various spoilery reasons) until it is enough to cause a physical manifestation - turning him/her/mayonnaise into the Slayer.

Afaik it should be on a once-per-day use throughout, but I suppose there may be a story point somewhere that grants an extra use just for one occasion. I am uncertain. You shouldn't be getting extra uses as a rule.

As for the Mind Flayer City...

IIRC there is a room to the bottom/center right where a Mind Flayer will keep respawning regularly, so you can't actually run out of them. I do however mod the game extensively so that might just be from that.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I just finished the Mind Flayer area a couple of hours ago, and there were a few problems I had with the scenario. I guess I'll end up putting them in a spoiler mode; but there is a serious limitation on getting one of the Ilithids to open up those closed doors for you, or at least that's what happened with me.
    This is what I was getting for a while; now it's back to 1 change.image
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    i just loaded up several different saves of mine and they all had 3 uses per day of slayer
    edited May 2015
    mrb101 said:

i just loaded up several different saves of mine and they all had 3 uses per day of slayer

Hmm, I don't recall ever seeing three changes as an option. I wonder what the determining factor is. Might be the chapter, or party reputation, or even game difficulty level. I was at average reputation (12) in chapter 5, on core difficulty level when that screen shot was taken, just before hitting the Mind Flayer area. In Mind Flayers I went back to 1 per day after using a change ... which dropped reputation to 10.
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
    all my saves had high rep (18+) and where in chapter 5 or 6 and on nightmare mode.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    It may be a harmless bug. You only get one slayer changer per day.

Slayer change is a last resort indeed. Not that useful to your pc, but my wild mage pc sure made use of it when all of his party was ambushed and killed by mindflayers using smart tactics thanks to scs mod. I had no real spells left, and spells are useless against mind flayers anyway, they have %90 mr. Anyway, I had no choice and turned into slayer and tore the group of mindflayers to pieces. It was epic. For a weakling pc like a mage it is a literally godsend ability to get extremely pyschial against a foe when needed. If magic fails, go Slayer and smash the foe into chunks.

Slayer change gives you a lot of immunities to most bad conditions like a rage effect. Also you become immune to imprisonment, IIRC. Downside is you get -2 reputation with each use. You may go berserk and lose control and attack the nearest creature while in Slayer form. Also you start taking magic damage that increases with each interval if you stay in that form too long. You may protect yourself from the damage with protection from magic energy 6th lvl spell, however, if you take too long you just get insta death. That is especially troublesome if you lose control and wander around in berserk mode attacking your party members, and your timer runs out and you die without ever getting the chance to end the transformation. That is the risk you take. Spend too long in Slayer form and you may never turn back!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Are you guys loading up really old saves (saves that were started before patch 1.3 came out)?
    elminster said:

Are you guys loading up really old saves (saves that were started before patch 1.3 came out)?

Nope; only started the game a few months ago. EE 1.3 all the way for me. But my bug, if that's what it was, seems to have auto-corrected. Haven't seen 2 changes appear since.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    There was a bug in the game release version that basically stopped players from getting a casting of the ability more than once (not more than once per day I mean you'd only be able to transform once). That was fixed in version 1.3 but it may just be a bug stemming from that.

Are you running any mods?
    my game was started about 10 days ago or so and it has 3 uses i am running a variety of mods tho, tweak pack, UB, questpack, itemupgrades
    No mods for me. I am VERY leery about playing around with or altering any game files. I have zero Technical aptitude for such things.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Weird, I always have 2 uses per day of Slayer form.
    so i just used my slayer form and after i had rested it has gone down to 1 use per day