Skip to content

The Eyes have it

With the Cute-toes and the Mind Players properly cowed, MC and crew went looking for more troub ... errr, good deeds to do. Searching every inch of the cavern floor, they found a dark cave, and also yet another passageway leading down. Tossing a mithril token left over from their escape from the Asylum, MC got tails. Down it was! Heading down the passage, the intrepid group emerged face to face with a beholder, a gauth and an Elder Orb, apparently having drawn guard duty for that shift. One thing about beholders, they aren't shy. They have no trouble making eye contact.

MC managed to berserk before their magical machine guns went off. Neera and Imoen fired off their squencers while everyone else tried to get off shots with missiles. Unfortunately, Neera picked a bad time for a wild surge (her first since leaving Brynnlaw, other than for fluctuations in spell casting level) and polymorphed herself into a chicken. "Cluck"! MC had always considered her a bit of a bird-brain, but now it was confirmed. Imoen did some damage to the Big Gasbag, but then they started giving us the eye, and everyone started taking damage. As usual, it was up to MC to save the day; the beholderkin squad went down in rapid succession, accompanied by complaints of "My attack has no effect!". Love those berserker immunities!

When the fight was over, MC was left with a great big squishy bloody Elder Orb eye. Everyone else gagged at the sight, but MC was overjoyed, dancing around the room and proclaiming that it was the most gorgeous thing he had ever seen. Everybody else looked at him like he was crazy. Well, this just proves the truth of the old saying, "Beauty is in the eye ....

[I'm sorry, I just can't go through with it! Even I can't make a joke THAT lame. Pretend I never said anything. Thanks!]

Ahem. Going on, the first order of the day was for Keldorn to toss one of his patented Paladin dispel magics, and return Neera to human form. The party proceeded more cautiously, but the usual anti-beholder plan of "haste MC and turn him loose" pretty much cleared out all the foes in the entire area. There was decent learning, but very little treasure; well you can't have everything.

Back up top they went.

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    On the way back up, the party passed by ... a group of Yankee Gits? Holy heck; these were the same guys we helped escape from the Ilithids! We said "Hi", but they were all cranky-like and mumbling about their holy silver sword blade. Now, one thing the party has is magic weapons; more magic weapons than they could shake a stick at. MC could retire and set up a weapon shop when they got back to Athkatla, if he decided to give up adventuring. So, we gave them back their holy letter opener.

They were astonished, and happy, and then informed us that they would have to kill us anyway, for simply having touched the blade. What?? OK, maybe there was something to the theory that all these Underdark residents were just paranoid and generally socially maladjusted. Also stupid; they had seen the party in combat, and should have known better. A brief one-sided fray ensued, and we walked off with their Holy Gizmo anyway. Morons.

Now for the dark cave; hmm, apparently this is what that light gem was for. Descending into the cave, the group encountered a dragon! MC was preparing to charge into combat, when Keldorn tapped him on the shoulder, and told him this was a Silver Dragon, and that those were usually good in nature. Oh. My bad.

The dragon proved to have a bit of an ego problem, acting rather superior; in fact her name sounded something like AdoreMe to MC. However, despite her supercilious airs, it turns out that she needed ... our help. What a surprise! OK, some nasty Drow from nearby Drowville had stolen her eggs and were using them to blackmail her into not troubling them, and could we please get them back for her. To help us out, she would cast a long-term illusion on us to make us look like drow, give us a translation spell so we could pass as Drow, and gave us cover identities. Our reward would be her showing us the way to get back to the surface world.

Hurrah! A secret espionage mission! It was quite eggciting. We could wear trenchcoats and fake beards, and give secret handshakes. We gave the mission the code name of "Eggsodus" and decided to march off to Drowville in the morning.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    What's next is a little bit of a spoiler though nothing concerning the plot itself, but you might want to keep that holy sword piece. You know, githyankis are rumored to wield very powerful swords, and if by any chance you manage to find something to complete that sword, you might be in possession of quite a strong weapon. Do as you feel though
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015
    Arunsun said:

What's next is a little bit of a spoiler though nothing concerning the plot itself, but you might want to keep that holy sword piece. You know, githyankis are rumored to wield very powerful swords, and if by any chance you manage to find something to complete that sword, you might be in possession of quite a strong weapon. Do as you feel though

Oh, I'm sure it can be forged into a great weapon. The only reason I was feeling generous was that I already have more +3 and +4 weapons than I can use. Also when I get back to Athkatla, Cromwell is going to get rich. I have all the parts needed to forge Wave, Equalizer, the Gesen Bow and Crom Feyr. Not to mention a fourth head for the flail of ages, although that has to wait until ToB if I understand correctly. Toss in Lilarcor, Carsomyr, Daystar, Heartseeker, Staff of the Magi, that 4x fire crossbow of Keldorn's and Celestial Fury, and I have more than enough melee and missile weapons for everybody. Oh well, another Vorpal blade or whatever it is can't hurt.

I was actually hoping that the Githyanki would be thankful and maybe we could recruit them as allies for later use against the Drow, but no such luck. What a bunch of ingrates!