Skip to content

[Q] IWD / IWD2 version of BG2's GLA "Improved Alacrity"?

Hey guys! I apologize if there is already an answer to this somewhere. I have been searching for some time with no luck.

In BG2 there is a GLA called Improved Alacrity that allows you to cast multiple spells per round for a short duration (specifically, you are allowed to cast a spell immediately after the previous one is finished). [B]Does IWD or IWD2 have any spells, equipment, etc., that allow for a similar effect?[/B]

Please note that I am not referring to a way to speed up cast times, nor am I referring to Contingency or Sequencer spells. I know there are plenty of ways to cast spells faster, but those methods still only allow you to cast one spell every ~7 seconds. I am looking for a way to be able to continually cast spells without having to wait for the start of a new round.

Also I am not above using a mod, save game editor, etc. to achieve this affect. I've beaten the game legitimately plenty of times now and have nothing against using cheating methods to achieve a faster paced (if overpowered) spellcasting gameplay.

Comments

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    You can just add it to your Mage or Sorc's spell book through an editor.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    In Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (exclusive to Wild Mage's) can be used to cast multiple spells per round. However, Improved Alacrity is actually available in IWDEE's game files as well. To add it to your character you can use an editor or you use the console. The latter would involve you putting your cursor overtop of your mage, hitting ctrl+space and then typing in

c:AddSpell("spwi921")
  • sollintonsollinton Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the feedback Zyzzogeton and elminster!

By any chance do you know if there is anything in IWD2 that can produce the same effect? I know it uses a completely different ruleset and there is no EE so I can't just add Improved Alacrity with an editor. Is there any alternative for IWD2?
    Post edited by sollinton on
    Not that I'm aware of but I'm not that familiar with IWD2.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2015
    @elminster
    I find your lack of familiarity with IWD2 disturbing.
    Almost as disturbing as the absolute lack of squirrels in this game...
    sollinton said:

Is there any alternative for IWD2?

There isn't. Yet.
    Extract this little zippy, @sollinton. An item file is contained within, one that you should place inside your Override folder in the installation directory. Then, enable the console and spawn the item using this arcane formula:
    CTRLALTDELETE:CreateItem("00RINGOD")
    Wear this seemingly simple ring (that was NOT found in a squirrel) and you will find yourself filled with holy power (+4 to damage rolls) and able to cast spells without delay, as if under the effect of Improved Alacrity. Beat that, Mystra!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    But there are at least 2 squirrels in IWDEE. One is right outside of the starting inn?

But there are at least 2 squirrels in IWDEE. One is right outside of the starting inn?

God said:

IWD2

edited May 2015
    The lack of squirrels in Icewind Dale 2 can be explained by the Great Squirrel Extinction of 1310DR. :p *

*Might be a made up event
    edited May 2015
    God said:

There isn't. Yet.
    Extract this little zippy, @sollinton. An item file is contained within, one that you should place inside your Override folder in the installation directory. Then, enable the console and spawn the item using this arcane formula:

CTRLALTDELETE:CreateItem("00RINGOD")
    Wear this seemingly simple ring (that was NOT found in a squirrel) and you will find yourself filled with holy power (+4 to damage rolls) and able to cast spells without delay, as if under the effect of Improved Alacrity. Beat that, Mystra!

You are without a doubt my hero! I don't know if that little mod has been around for a while or if you just made it, but that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very, very much.
    sollinton said:

You are without a doubt my hero! I don't know if that little mod has been around for a while or if you just made it, but that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very, very much.

No worries, mate.
    Have fun playing IWD2 :smile:
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    Will this mod work for IWDEE?

Will this mod work for IWDEE?

I haven't tried it, but I know you can give your characters a permanent Improved Alacrity effect with EEKeeper.

Open up your save file, select your character, and go to the Effects tab. Click the Add button at the bottom and fill out the forms as such:

Type: Spell Effect: Aura Cleansing
    Target: Self
    Flags: Instant, Permanent
    Dispel/Resistance: Cannot Dispel/Can Bypass Resistance
    Resource 3: SPWI921 *Note I'm not sure if this is actually needed, but having it doesn't hurt
    Constant: 1

Leave all of the other fields as their default values and click Okay. Save your character and you're all done; you can now cast spells without any delays.

Note this also works for BG2:EE. I would assume it works with BG:EE as well but I have not tested it.