Skip to content

The battle that made me nearly ragequit [HOF]

Here`s the little story of pain: I played all the way through the Original Campaign, Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster. Solo – with a Shapeshifter Druid. At first i throught that HOF would be a nearly impossible challenge. But to my surprise: Everything worked great. The druid and his summons rushed through the game. Ok, i played Icewind Dale many years ago so i had some clue what they are going to throw at me. The only tough battles were Belhifet (forgot about the traps) and Icasaracht (seems smarter in EE). But after some rethinking both final battles were quite manageable.

Then i switched to Trials of the Luremaster: What a great expansion! Because finally the enemies really got challenging: Be it the Harpy Queen, the 10+ spectral guards, Crieck of Tyrannos and his party. Even the final fight vs the Luremaster - i just loved it. Only one battle remained that i could not win even after a dozen of tries and i am very surprised that its mentioned nearly nowhere:

>>> Hobart Stubbletoes <<<

Watching this little halfling transforming into a Rakshasa, calling in two more Rakshasa friends plus 10 Invisible Stalkers was already frightening. What followed was a real pain train. Each of the Rakshasas constantly summoned more shadow monsters. They dispelled all my protective magic again and again. They not only had an insane ammount of disables but also tons of fire, lightning and cold based damage spells. Outlasting was not possible because they seemed to have a infinite number of spells memorized. And: They were not only immune to all magic i threw at them but also hitting them with weapons was damn hard (not to forget the 50% damage reduction).

I tried nearly anything. Lurking them into small corridors where i only have to fight a small number of monsters. Trying to burst them down quickly enough before they melt me down. Experimenting will all possible spell combos to find a way through their magic protection. Nothing seemed to work. Sometimes i held the line for 10-15 minutes but was still not able to damage the Rakshasas hard enough as they were always hiding behind enemy lines. Sooner or later i ran out of spells and the enemy hordes flooded upon me. It was really terrifying. It was frustrating.....

After some heavy rethinking and many more deaths i finally managed to beat them – but only with the help of a retreat-rest-abuse. And even then the two remaining Rakshasas again gave me a hell of a fight that lastet for more than 20 minutes. If the Luremaster would not have called in his six Spectral Heroes but six Rakshasas instead the final battle would have been impossible. I think i will have some nightmarish dreams tonight: Rakshasas floating through the darkness, whispering their melody of endless torments...

What was your most frustrating battle in Icewind Dale? Have you ever quit the game because you could not win a specific fight? At the end my ambition of beating the Rakshasas was higher – but it was a close one!!!

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    This was the hardest battle for me too. Eventually I realised that my party of minmaxed dual classers had enough pure DPS to just beat down the Rakshasas before they could do any significant damage. Thank god for IH etc.

I'm looking forward to this fight for my FMT+FMC combo, I may have to get inventive.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2015
    I am playing the game for the first time ever these days.
    I am now stuck at HoF difficulty in the Marketh fight. Not sure if I am going to quit yet and deactivate HoF, however I surely rage a lot in this fight, I can tell you that for sure.

Thieves backstab my characters for 90 points of damage (60 + 30). 1-2 party members die instantly.

I do not think there is a way to beat this without using my meta game knowledge. I will probably find a place to rest and go back with invisibility purge memorised and I will use an invisible bounty hunter to place as many traps as possible.

Cheese I know, but honestly can't seem to find anything else that works.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Isn't Heart of Fury all about rage? Just sayin...
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2015
    Yes, Marketh and his horde is not to be taken easy. One comfortable way is to use the entrance of the rooms as a bottleneck. In this way my summons had not to fight the hole army at once. The Shambling Mounds were blocking and hitting the enemy while i just layed down one Spike Growth after another. Together with Static Charge the damage killed most of the troops. In the meanwhile i just had to keep an eye on recasting the summons quickly enough. Iron Skin, Entropy Shield & Shield of Archon saved me from any harm.

To make it short: Prebuffs + Summons + AoE-Damage + proper positioning will get you through! ;o)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    honestly fighting the spectral guards just felt really unfair, but i thought the rakshasa fight was pretty manageable after a few tries
    edited January 2015
    simples said:

honestly fighting the spectral guards just felt really unfair, but i thought the rakshasa fight was pretty manageable after a few tries

The difficulty-level depends for sure on party size and composition. The spectral guards for instance were quite easy for the Druid thanks to Nature´s Beauty. After being blinded all spectral guards were running around helplessly so i could retreat, cast my summons and bring them down one after another.

That was not the case for the magic-immune Rakshasas. Only good placement and micro of the summons helped me through finally.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited January 2015
    Agree with the OP. I was soloing with FMC and had a hard time. But there's a scroll of Spell Immunity in the library next to Hobart so you can get immune to Dispel Magic (Abjuration) before fighting. As a Druid though, you can't use that tactic. And even as a Mage, I still had to dispatch all these Invisible Stalkers.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I think it has been mentioned. Even when not soloing, those Rakasha's are CRUEL : ) - I found the Harpy Queen and the Luremaster fights equally hard. But guess it's all about tactics?
    Cluas said:

I think it has been mentioned. Even when not soloing, those Rakasha's are CRUEL : ) - I found the Harpy Queen and the Luremaster fights equally hard. But guess it's all about tactics?

I can only speak from a druidic point of view but:

The Harpy Queen is relatively easy for a druid. Get every protection you need, run to the middle of the room, cast Natures Beauty and watch the blinded harpys flying around helplessly. Retreat to a safe spot, summon your Shambling Mounds and throw in some static charges (plus spike growth) if needed.

The Luremaster can be tricked too. Retreat immediately once you got teleported into the final room so the Luremaster is not able to open the dialogue with you. This gives you time to summon your Shambling Mounds. When the battle starts and your summons are focused you can either use Natures Beauty now to blind the Spectral Heroes or just play the classic "summons + static charge + spike growth" game. Just make sure to recast your summons quickly enough.

At the moment i am soloing IWD 2 in HoF-Mode with a Druid - works great too! :smile:
  • sloppysmusicsloppysmusic Member Posts: 2
    Currently playing IWD solo with F/M/C and I want go back and do the BG-Trolligy the same way. Posting here now cos I think i just had the EASIEST Luremaster boss fight possible. I always save and go into new areas unbuffed etc just to see whats up and if i can survive. Well i soon got SWAMPED here and thought HC!! i hope i can do this...reloaded buffed with improved haste/RWOTF/black blade of disaster/righteous magic and greater leander shield. Saved, crossed portal. Waited a few secs then thought man he's not talking i should be summoning...but i just thought ah heck and clicked on him...so i ran up next to him and he gave his speech...then i paused..and clicked on him when he turned red. Hit him for 38 damage and he disappeared (didnt say death or any EXP)...hmmm..so i franticaly summoned 6 bad ass monsters, buffed us all up then "saved' (hmmm). ran around the room and NO bad guys? picked up the ring and admit i searched for what to do with it...then i was back in Lonelywood...no exp tho i think. So there was no battle just ONE BIG SMITE...game over man...Cheese award of the year maybe? i felt disappointed i didnt have a fight as this DLC was the hardest for my solo run so far...even the very start was a nightmare...but anyways i guess if u stuck just try the smack down approach?
  • sloppysmusicsloppysmusic Member Posts: 2
    playing Core rules no HOF...hence my low hit point total..so many 1's rolled!!