Skip to content

LOL-ing around

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
Having bid a fond adieu to the lair of the demons, MC and crew went further down into the deeps of the well watched Keep. The first room was dominated by a most unusual construct; if what MC had read was correct, this was none other than the infamous Mechanism of Lem O' Loony, aka LOL for short. Inside it's crystal dome was a gentleman who seemed trapped inside; or at any rate, seemed disinclined to open the door. According to various papers we had found upstairs, the machine held the key to descending further, so we needed to find a way to rescue (or evict) the current inhabitant.

An inordinate amount of time was spent in pursuit of that goal, as MC bumbled around in his usual semi-clueless style. Among other things, various oils, candles and matches had to be found. One obstacle was a pair of Magic Golems. Now, according to Elminster's notes, (Vol IIIA was it?) these can only be hit by non-magical weapons. What's a non-magical weapon?? The crew hadn't seen one in months! Just as MC was about to try whacking them with his fists, the party discovered some cabinets nearby that had, fortuitously enough, an assortment of non-magical weapons. What were the odds on that?

As a side note, a partial diary of a previous adventurer suggested that the Watchers up above were less than trustworthy. Which is about par for the course, actually.

The other tasks that needed to be accomplished were several and varied, and seemed to have little connection with any logical plan. On the other hand, this WAS a mechanism designed by a lunatic, so expecting any sort of logic regarding its function was baseless optimism. Some Mind Slayers needed slaying as did some Yankee Gits. The final pair of Mind Slayers were also undead; however, they had somehow neglected to hire the usual thugs to protect them, and went down easily.

[Note: When you see them, you are supposed to go "OMG! VAMPIRE MIND FLAYERS! ACK!". However, they totally lacked any defensive screen. This would have been a MUCH harder fight if they had the usual bunch of Umber Hulks, 4-5 maybe, with perhaps a regular Ilithid or two to direct them, blocking us from whacking them hand-to-hand]
Post edited by FrdNwsm on

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2015
    All the ingredients were assembled and the ritual commenced. As directed, MC began lighting oils, in what was presumably the proper order, while Imoen and Neera did the Dance of the Seven Veils, Anomen and Keldorn engaged in theological debate, and Jaheira stood off in a corner muttering about how Nature could find a place here, if yadda yadda yadda. (Well, ok, the Dance bit was MC's addition to the ritual; Shhh! Don't tell Neera and Imoen!)

All this eventually led to the group getting a crystal hammer with which the door to the Mechanism could be shattered. The group bashed it open, kicked out the whining occupant and told him to go home to mommy. The Mechanism was open for use!

Now, it appeared that there were hundreds of possible combinations of control settings, however, the various papers found around the keep only gave directions for 5 of them, in addition to the one for the exit. Needless to say, the group definitely didn't want to screw around with random chance, and so declined to experiment. A couple of stats were increased where they would do the most good (strength for Anomen, constitution for Neera, wisdom for Jaheira, charisma and magic resistance for MC).

[Note: there may even be more notes lying around somewhere; 5 is all I managed to find]

The 6th combination was plugged in, and the way down was at last revealed. However, before going down, the group made one last recon, and stumbled onto two more doors

Ok, by now you may have realized that when you encounter a room with a long ramp and some stairs heading down, this is a tip off that there is a dragon ahead. A big fat red dragon was in one of the rooms, but having noted the tell-tale signs, we were buffed and ready for the Wyrm.

The other room held a demi lich. This guy was both easier and tougher than Kangaxx. Easier because he seemed to have fewer HP, tougher because he was already in demi lich form, and having just entered the room, the party had no summoned creatures to occupy his attention. He promptly imprisoned Neera before MC could switch to slayer form. Slayer form provides immunity to imprisonment, so MC kept him occupied while the rest cast summoning spells.

(In retrospect I should have just gone berserk; I had forgotten that berserk state also protects against Imprisonment. It is in fact superior to Slayer in just about all respects, except the extra 100 HP).

With dinks to keep his attention, MC withdrew and everybody who had them peppered him with +4 missiles, while Keldorn and Jaheira whacked him with their melee weapons. Jaheira was also imprisoned before he went down, but we had taken the precaution of buying all the Freedom scrolls that those Duergar in the Underdark were scalping.

And whats with the Freedom spell, anyways? It's a level 9 mage spell but apparently we can't learn it?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The reason you can't learn Freedom is probably that your spellcasters both have a 17 Int. You need an 18 to scribe 9th level spell scrolls. Which sounds like more of an obstacle than it is, since you can just chug a potion of genius and scribe away.

There should also be three more scrolls for the machine. Two more stat-uppers and one that gives a pretty cool mace that can be upgraded in TOB. As with my note on missed items in the last thread, I make no judgement on whether they're worth going back for (which in this case would probably involve scouring the upper levels of the keep).
    Ah; I had no idea. Thanks, I'll have to try that. I suspect the same is true for Time Stop then.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    You could just scour the internet for Storm Stars button-combo, or leave it for another playthrough. It's pretty awesome since it can be upgraded very early in TOB.

(Btw, I've been missing out on some of your adventures since the hard-drive on my old laptop blew up. Now I have a new computer after 3 weeks of computerless life, and I'm back in the game.)
    edited June 2015
    Oooh! Fan base! Heh, my posts should be pretty obvious, they all have dumb titles.

Internet research might be cheating a bit, but I have to go back to WK anyway for various reasons. (I left for a bit).
    Yannir said:

You could just scour the internet for Storm Stars button-combo, or leave it for another playthrough. It's pretty awesome since it can be upgraded very early in TOB.

(Btw, I've been missing out on some of your adventures since the hard-drive on my old laptop blew up. Now I have a new computer after 3 weeks of computerless life, and I'm back in the game.)