Skip to content

Help with the classes

Hi I have only gotten like 2 hours in to Bg2 and it is really bothering me. I loved bg1 and I have heard 2 is better so I really want to play it,however,I am having trouble getting into it. I think it is because I do not know what class I want to play. I just cannot decide. I need someone else s opinion to help me!!

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2015
    This depends on your personal preference, what class do you enjoy? Playing a fighter is very different than a mage, thief or cleric, not to mention even in the same class different kits can play very differently.

For fun, you may do some quiz on the net 'what d&d class I am?' this personality test may help you decide what you are naturally inclined to.

Also, what npcs you would like to have in your party? And what alignment? You may want to choose your pc class to better balance your party composition. BG2 npcs are fairly balanced-class wise, especially with ee you now have an evil pure class thief. There is even a monk, wild mage or blackguard to choose! Still, for example there is no legit f/m npc in bg2, so you may go that route if you so wish. A f/m plays very differently than a pure mage or pure fighter.

In bg2, one primary and one support mage (a bard or multi class mage) is mandatory. Mage spells are the epitome of power in bg2 and many tougher enemies do make use of them. A thief is essential, but a pure thief may not be as useful as in combat if you don't do heavy micro-management, at least until you get HLAs and get awesome, game-changing traps that can kill anything in the game. Also, thief kits are very diverse and each kit presents an unique way of play so you may want to experience with them. A cleric is generally a support character, and is the least needed class in bg2, IMHO. There are numerous ways to heal and buff other than a cleric in bg2. Druids on the other hand are so much better with spells like Call lightning and Insect Plague/summon elementals. Insect plague especially is the 'I win' spell against many tough spell casters.
  • Bboy2073Bboy2073 Member Posts: 38
    I thought about going avenger druid actually
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Avenger druid is a very cool and unique kit. You will have chromatic orbs and web spells to toss in spell lvls 1-2, where the druid spell selection is the weakest. Other class perks like special shapeshifting is fun to experience, too. I highly recommend Avenger.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    lunar said:

Avenger druid is a very cool and unique kit. You will have chromatic orbs and web spells to toss in spell lvls 1-2, where the druid spell selection is the weakest. Other class perks like special shapeshifting is fun to experience, too. I highly recommend Avenger.

I'll second this. Druids are awesome, and Avenger is easily the most functional spellcaster-type druid around.

On another note, the starting dungeon in BG2 is really boring, the game only opens up properly after getting through that. It's not that long, so just hold tight through that part. About 80% of my characters never make it out of there before I get bored. Ones that do, make it through the end.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2015
    If you really want to play a druid go for it but keep in mind that your druid character will experience a long amount of game time where they aren't advancing any levels. This is because of how the experiment table for druids works.

For instance a cleric would advance to level 21 by the time a druid hits level 15. Druids get access to a bunch of high level spells when they hit level 15, but in a 6 person party that will only happen when you are nearing the end of Shadows of Amn. Its something to be aware of anyways.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Yannir said:

On another note, the starting dungeon in BG2 is really boring, the game only opens up properly after getting through that. It's not that long, so just hold tight through that part. About 80% of my characters never make it out of there before I get bored. Ones that do, make it through the end.

If this is an issue for you (and by the gods I sympathize), I can happily recommend the Dungeon Be Gone mod. It allows you to just skip straight to the exit of Chateau Irenicus, of course without missing the important bits and pieces. A great tool for frequent re-rollers who've just about had it with Rielev and the likes.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @elminster is of course correct, but it's also worth noting that the high level druid spell selection is fantastic, especially compared to clerics. As annoying as the slow leveling is towards the end of BG2, I find spells like Ironskins, Insect Plague, and Nymph's Beauty make up for it. Nothing like blinding your enemies, blanketing them in swarms of ravening insects, and then utterly ignoring what few feeble attacks they manage to send your way.
  • Bboy2073Bboy2073 Member Posts: 38
    I want a class that can use magic so either cleric mage druid or Sorcerer
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Bboy2073 said:

I want a class that can use magic so either cleric mage druid or Sorcerer

Then your original idea of an Avenger is sensible, because it's the most casting-orientated version of Druid, and there isn't any NPC with that kit. Obviously you can do plenty of casting with Mages or Clerics, but you'll soon find NPC companions who are Mages and Clerics, so you can have them do that sort of casting instead of doing it with your protagonist.

Sorcerer also fits your desire to be a caster, of course, but I don't recommend Sorcerer for those who are new to the game. The spell-selection for Sorcerers is pretty restricted, and can't be changed later if you make a poor choice at level-up, so you need to know exactly what you're doing (and to have planned ahead) to play a Sorcerer well. They're great (probably the strongest class of all) for experienced players, but not a wise option until after you've already finished the game a few times with other classes and thoroughly understand the spells.