Skip to content

Assassin and Sneak Attack

I'm currently doing a play through using an half-orc assassin and sneak attack(for the first time). In the beginning it wasn't too bad but I'm approaching chapter 6 and I must say I don't get it. Assassins get the best sneak attack progression but still only get 1 APR and rather poor THACO. It seems counter intuitive to me. Now the half-orcs high strength helps a bit but I'm finding it now to be somewhat of a chore. He's missing more often now and often the target his dead by my archer before my dude can even an get attack off much less get into position. I'm using spinesheath and the damage isn't too bad I guess. But I still am not sure about this character. Has anyone else tried an assassin but had success? Is a dual-wielding fighter/thief still the best sneak attacker or backstabber?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Assassin is probably best for pure SA/BS damage. Alternatively a Thief/Cleric buffing STR to infinity and beyond could also deal decent damage with SA/BS.

However, I personally think that APR are a much better source of damage in the long run. I am not at all surprised your Archer is finishing things left and right, they are very strong characters in IWD.

As for dual-wield, that shouldn't actually do anything for BS or SA, as both only hit with one weapon once. Using single weapon style is probably best because there's a higher chance to crit. For sustained damage outside of SA/BS however, dual-wield is likely more damage - particularly with the +APR weapons from HoW.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Assassin is probably best for pure SA/BS damage. Alternatively a Thief/Cleric buffing STR to infinity and beyond could also deal decent damage with SA/BS.

However, I personally think that APR are a much better source of damage in the long run. I am not at all surprised your Archer is finishing things left and right, they are very strong characters in IWD.

As for dual-wield, that shouldn't actually do anything for BS or SA, as both only hit with one weapon once. Using single weapon style is probably best because there's a higher chance to crit. For sustained damage outside of SA/BS however, dual-wield is likely more damage - particularly with the +APR weapons from HoW.

Buffing strength doesn't help backstabs all that much as strength isn't multiplied into it.

Spinesheath only does 1d4+1 damage so why would you expect much output from it?

I went with long sword, katana, shortbow and single weapon style. That katana from dragons eye that has an increased threat range is fantastic.

Important to look for ways to buff THAC0 if you're struggling. Plenty of items like Ring of the Warrior, Gauntlets of Weapon Skill, Symbol of Corellon Lorethian etc. Buff spells like Emotion (courage/hope), recitation, prayer, chant etc.

For my assassin I dual classed at level 12 or 13 to Mage and eventually got to play with mislead backstabs.

Don't underestimate how good poison weapon is on a shortbow or darts as well.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Ah okay. The main reason I went with Spinesheath was because of the really nice THACO bonus. I've mainly been using my dude in melee trying to get used to the new sneak attack mechanics. I like it. It's different but I like it. I'm not sure if it's better than backstab or not but I like that the assassin gets the best progression of it early on not just later like backstab. Wowo, did you use sneak attack at all? What were your thoughts on it while using you assassin?
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2015
    sorry double post
    Post edited by Dexter on
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    assassin 9 -> fighter with dual swords and GM can deal lots of damage
    cbarchuk said:

Ah okay. The main reason I went with Spinesheath was because of the really nice THACO bonus. I've mainly been using my dude in melee trying to get used to the new sneak attack mechanics. I like it. It's different but I like it. I'm not sure if it's better than backstab or not but I like that the assassin gets the best progression of it early on not just later like backstab. Wowo, did you use sneak attack at all? What were your thoughts on it while using you assassin?

Yeah I did. I was playing multiplayer and controlling 2 characters so I had enough time to position the assassin to try to sneak attack every enemy in turn. I wasn't shy about disabling SA for a big backstab before the fight started as well.

Mind you, I did play this assassin in a group of 4 single class characters without any of the real powerhouse builds. The experience would be different if archers, sorcerers and multi/dual characters were stealing all the glory.

Switching between a ranged weapon and that nice katana was a really nice play style and quite effective.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Wowo said:

cbarchuk said:

Yeah I did. I was playing multiplayer and controlling 2 characters so I had enough time to position the assassin to try to sneak attack every enemy in turn. I wasn't shy about disabling SA for a big backstab before the fight started as well.

Mind you, I did play this assassin in a group of 4 single class characters without any of the real powerhouse builds. The experience would be different if archers, sorcerers and multi/dual characters were stealing all the glory.

Switching between a ranged weapon and that nice katana was a really nice play style and quite effective.

That makes sense. I typically like going with single class characters most of the time though I do make some exceptions here and there. I appreciate the input. Oh, what race did you go with and did you have any issues with your THACO at all?

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    If you can find them both then get the Long Sword of Action +4 and the Ring of Reckless Action. Yes, you will wind up with a minor -1 penalty to your AC but 2 extra attacks per round should help.
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    What Math said. Improved haste also works. I had a lot of fun with an Elf assassin (longsword/shortbow). It's a lot of work - you can only sneak attack an enemy once - so you have to keep moving around the battlefield to attack new targets. You can also just poison your bow and shoot spellcasters. What you really need is the boots of speed so you move faster.
    cbarchuk said:

Wowo said:

cbarchuk said:

That makes sense. I typically like going with single class characters most of the time though I do make some exceptions here and there. I appreciate the input. Oh, what race did you go with and did you have any issues with your THACO at all?

I went with human and planned to dual class to Mage at level 12 or 13 but we gave up on the run at some point.