Skip to content

To play, or not to play.....

MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
With all the news of the upcoming Enhanced Edition I find myself in a constant debate with myself.
Part of me wants to start up a game of “Butt Kicking Goodness” right now. The other part wants to
wait till the new edition comes out so that it will all feel “newer”. I’m curious how many others are
finding themselves in this dilemma.

Comments

• AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    You should wait and interpret every second of waiting as positive to the quality of the enhanced edition. Bonus points for every day (or should I say month?) that the released date is pushed back.

That way you'll be more excited when butt kicking for goodness.
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I think your right.......but.....it hurts.... (chuckles)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm about to do a full clean install right now, actually, just so that I can remind myself what the game is like without any mods (widescreen notwithstanding; I do have a 1600x900 monitor, after all). Sometimes it's easy to forget what the game itself is like, after installing 5 GB of modifications.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited June 2012
    Actually it's probably loads better to start a BG game right now and just look at it critically, not intending to finish it. This might help you come up with requests for the forum or responses for requests already there. Not every day you get to play a game that you know is presently under construction. hehe I really ought to be doing this myself...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I challenge you to beat my 16 hour no-cheats time!
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Hmm, if the monitor for my desktop was still working or I had it installed on a different PC I would totally take up this challenge. Is that single player or are multi player parties allowed?
    By multiplayer do you mean playing by yourself with a custom party or with other people?

I did it on single player with Jaheira, Khalid, [REDACTED], Bronwen, and Edwin.
    Yeah I meant with a party all of my own. If I were to attempt this I would I think I would go with Fighter/Mage, Minsc, Shar'teel, Kivan, Immy replaced by Coran and Viconia.

I think a full party right at the beginning will give you too much of advantage over my time. So no :P
    Ha fair enough :) I'll have to give it a try some day. I managed it once in a couple of hours when I imported a thief that I had already soloed the game with, but boots of speed + stealth probably had a bit of an effect :)
    Ok...so I couldn’t take the pressure…. There was this icon of my Tutu install from my last play through just staring at me from my desktop. Sigh….I am so weak. No speed runs for me though. My little mage/thief likes to think and feel her way through.
    On a side note… You would think I would remember by now, how tough those dire wolves are at level 1.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I'd love to start again but I've been bug searching nearly every map and it is difficult to play right now outside of bugmode. I need to learn to turn that off :P
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I Installed it 5 weeks ago. Played 5 hours.. Looked my self in the mirror, and said to myself : Your better looking if you wait until BGEE comes !!!

Then i uninstalled it ;)
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    Moonsong, upload a few pics from your campaign :)
    Was that directed to me? I challenge you to beat my 3 months no-cheats time! :-P My games are notoriously long. 16 hrs gametime gets me to Nashkell. I like to get absolutely everything from every game... just cuz.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    You should play before the EE is released. You have like 3+ months... I've played it so many times, that I can happily wait for the new content. =]
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    With all the news of the upcoming Enhanced Edition I find myself in a constant debate with myself.
    Part of me wants to start up a game of “Butt Kicking Goodness” right now. The other part wants to
    wait till the new edition comes out so that it will all feel “newer”. I’m curious how many others are
    finding themselves in this dilemma.
    Been wanting to reply to this for a few days but I didn't have permission yet! I feel the same way. I have a char ready with pre-determined stats and I want to run thru TOTSC but I feel like I'll ruin it if I do. I might just end up creating a weak character (bard) just to slake my BG lust until EE comes out, and save the other char until then.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    I've managed to satiate my thirst for Baldur's Gate by preventing myself from playing the first game and instead just running some characters through Shadows of Amn. I haven't played the first in awhile, so I'll enjoy finding my ways again and no doubt having much trouble as I forget about certain monsters or difficulties. Nonetheless, there is something to be said about enhanced (hah!) enjoyment to be found when you haven't played through in awhile...
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I was actually in the middle of a playthrough when BGEE was announced. I decided to stop so as to keep my BGEE experience comparatively fresh.
  • DarkShrikeDarkShrike Member Posts: 17
    I was pondering a series play thru before this was announced but now... I am absolutely holding out for the enhanced edition.

Can't wait to try it out on iPad either :)
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I'm in the middle of a Big World Project install which I started in January XD Actually close to SoA ending and I hope I can finish it (ToB included) before BG:EE is released!
    Was that directed to me?
    Everyone actually.

After getting “my fix”, and having a blast on a few maps, I have put the game away again for now. I really do want to keep my first play through of BGEE as shinny new as possible. ….twitch…. twitch…. twitch…..
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    Its funny I have BG installed on my PC's as long as I remember.I normally beat it at least once a year.This year I will wait on BG:EE.

Having new quests is going to be strange in the world, that I knew almost all the quests around by heart.
    I can't wait, big props to the people bringing new life to this awesome game once more.
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    @Coriander

You sure want to take on my Warrior / Mage / Thief fully grinded thanks to uncountable mods I installed? ^^
    @Zakeros Not really. I was playing vanilla BGI except for one of the NPCs. Which is sort of vanilla BGEE but I can't challenge you to play a game you don't have yet.
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    @Coriander My apologies, I'm a bit tired and didn't understand your previous posts ;)
    edited June 2012
    No, I've decided. I'm definitely not waiting until BGEE comes out to play. It's much easier to explore the change-worthy aspects of BG when playing it... so off I go to mod a Tutu game...

On second thought, maybe vanilla BG is the right way to go. The most interesting way to experience the difference...
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @Bhryaen Same, many an ankheg is falling beneath my gnomes mighty bow
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2012
    On the topic of speedrunning, SDA has a speedrun for Baldur's Gate with Tales of the Sword Coast done in 18min and 29s single segment, go beat that one!
    Post edited by aXidal on