Skip to content

How does turn undead work?

I've played this game before, so I know how it's supposed to work.

But this time, I'm playing a solo game on Heart of Fury mode. I can't seem to turn anything.

How does it work in HoF mode? Will I ever be able to turn anything?

I'm currently a 9th level Cleric in the vale of shadows.

Thanks.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    HoF DRASTICALLY increases enemy levels. A cleric needs to be of equal or higher level to turn an undead, meaning you will not be able to turn ANY undead until fairly late in the game, if even then.

Sadly, Turn Undead is pretty much useless in HoF. There are several other effects that are based on level and/or hit dice, too, and as a result work poorly or not at all on HoF (e.g. the mage spell Sleep, etc.).
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited July 2015
    Level 30 good cleric utterly destroys undead even in HoF. Evil cleric charms/dominates them or something. Walking up and down The Burial Isle with 30 lvl good cleric is fun. Almost every single undead explodes into chunks.

Back to the topic i found the following table from here.

Table 8-16: Turning Undead
    Turning Check Result : Most Powerful Undead Affected (Hit Dice)
    Up to 0 : Cleric's level - 4
    1 to 3 : Cleric's level - 3
    4 to 6 : Cleric's level - 2
    7 to 9 : Cleric's level - 1
    10 to 12 : Cleric's level
    13 to 15 : Cleric's level + 1
    16 to 18 : Cleric's level + 2
    19 to 21 : Cleric's level + 3
    22+ : Cleric's level + 4

So yes, you will be able to turn.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    In my first HoF game I actually did almost all of the HoW expansion before doing Presio's level in Dragon Eye meaning I could chunk all undead with turn by the time I got back with my dualed kensei 9->Cleric.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Djimmy said:

Back to the topic i found the following table from here.

Wow! An Ironworks link. I wonder if my login still works there. Let's find out....

Yes, it still works. Crap--I see that I have 7 unread messages and that I let someone down because I neglected to fulfill my end of a bargain. Now I feel like a heel.

• AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Even as a solo, you won't be able to do much with Turn Undead for a while. However, rest assured that it will make you a beast in Heart of Winter/Trials of the Luremaster. Even spectral guards can be affected, plus all of the undead in the crypts - with exceptions being crypt things and revenants, at least in the original version.