Skip to content

My first 97 roll - synchronicity?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hey, I was just inspired by the character Jon Morgan from Heroes of Might and Magic 6 to start thinking about this new character I might play for the BG Trilogy, including Adventure Y.

And, lo and behold, while trying to establish and save a prototype, I got the first 97 roll I've ever seen in my life!

The character that inspired me was from Might and Magic Duel of Champions, a Haven hero who leads the human faction, hates evil magic, and can heal himself. I've started building a deck that's based on Haven stacking, and he's doing pretty well with it so far (in the card game). I've only recently fired up HoMM6 and started the first tutorial mission, with Haven, but I've found out enough to know that the card game I'm enjoying is completely inspired by HoMM6. All the hero cards come from that game.

He's this guy:

Yada, yada, yada, TLDR, I've found that I really identify with the equivalent of inquisitors/knights/paladins/clerics, human "holy rollers" who hate evil magic of all kinds. And, in youth, I had the brown hair and hairiness of Morgan, symbolized by his beard. So, I started thinking, hey, there's a perfect tie-in to BG here, where I could play "Keldorn".

So, I could play this 97 roll, which I've saved as a new inquisitor file, as though I *am* Keldorn. The one in BG2 will not exist in this hypothetical run. In BG1, I would be this "young" version of myself/big K/Morgan:

And, in BG2, I would be the "me" version of the Big K we all know and love, except, of course, I would never have married or started a family, and the canon version of Big K would then not exist in my game.

I might even post a journaled run with this dude after Adventure Y is released. I'm kind of tripping on the idea of this version of "me" from youth to middle/old age in the BGT universe, including whatever the new adventure will be.

Side question: Will "Adventure Y" be released on Steam? I'm kind of into the idea of eventually buying all of the EE's on Steam now, so that I can get the nice in-game counter, and the inclusion of the EE's to my general collection.
elminster[Deleted User]sarevok57kcwiseRavenslightGate70ronaldoShinSapphireIce101SmilingSwordJuliusBorisov

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Way to roll. I think that the best I ever got on a Paladin was a 93 or 94
    Just rolled uo a half elf druid and got a 94 I was very pleased about that one
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • PKMN12PKMN12 Member Posts: 7
    I do not think i have EVER actually gotten a 90+, never had the patience....

good job, also, VERY interesting character concept, stinks about that str roll though O.o
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Solid playthrough plan; ideas for new character concepts can come from anywhere. B) Hell knows I've made a bunch of design attempts myself.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2015
    @PKMN12 , LOL, I also noticed that sucky /02 roll! But, what're you gonna do? It just makes me have to suck it in and take the 18 STR, DEX, CON, and CHR, with the equivalent of no /00 bonus at all, and read a tome or put on an ogre belt or something.

I really don't think 18/90-100 is worth giving up a frickin' *97* for the other stats! I do believe there's even enough INT there to withstand at least one mind flayer hit! Sometimes I get tired of all the pallys running around with 3 INT, who should be able to say nothing in Common but "derp", "duh", and "uhhhhh....me smite evil and lay on hands....duhhhhh."

Is there a "Union of Paladins and Barbarians Of Strangely Low Intelligence" or something? The "UPBOSLI"? "Up Barbarians and Paladins of Low Intelligence?"

This is another ridiculous thing about the D&D stat system. The power-gaming tendency of pretty much every human gamer leads to an absurd correlation in intelligence among fighters of all stripes - brawny, athletic, and as stupid as a log. Or, is that a reflection of real life after all? The Nerd Revenge trope in action?

Regardless, at least pallys have it in the wisdom and charisma departments. But, come on, a 3 INT? That's barely above infant human or animal. I see this nonsense as a failure of the D&D rules - every human ought to have a requirement for a 10 INT. Anything lower in INT ought to be only available to half-orcs, or only to Minsc-like character concepts (and still not lower than about 8), with significant penalties, at least in any version of D&D that has "talky" skills as an important factor.

But come on, 3 INT ought to be illegal in the game rules.

BTW - just got this hilarious image - of the INQUISITOR of all classes, with 3 INT - casting Inquisitor Dispel: "Duh.... derp.... yousa evil wizsard.... meesa big bad INQUISHITORSH! Derp, duh.... me DISPEL all yousha magey dagey pruhtekshiuuns, duh... abra-kaduhbrash.... d'or, somethin'.... Duhhhh.... Uh, yousa GENIUSH, meesa not care.... BAMF!.... mage dies." Come on, really?
    JuliusBorisov
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    My dump stat for Paladins is usually Dex - they live in a tin can, and let that do the work of defending their honor in combat, and of course back it up with an 18 Con... Of course, this is easier to do knowing that there are Dex gloves in both games, although I try to not make a dishonest run-for-the-Dex-gloves strategy. It also means sacrificing the gloves slot which would generally have more useful options for melee types. But I also like that my Paladins take their virtue and chivalry seriously, and that requires having the mental faculties to understand and follow through on their responsibilities. Problems that can be solved without a fight mean the chance for future allies, and more folks around to make a better world. Spread the light, as you cannot extinguish darkness.
    BelgarathMTH
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited July 2015
    Hey congrats on the 97. It must be something to do with the time (maybe the leap second?), because I also just got my first 97 roll. I was rolling up a new FMT for a complete playthrough when SoD comes out, and rolled a 97.. Unfortunately, after I rolled that I decided that I'd prefer to play a male FMT for the romances, so I had to give it up.

Ah well.

Edit: Oh, forgot to answer you on your question: Yes, SoD will be released on Steam. (It's in the FAQ and various posts from the Devs. From the sound of it, it'll be released on all platforms the games are currently released on).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    That is the same roll (besides) the strength value, that I got on my paladin playthrough! Glad to see someone else has the same best roll.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @BelgarathMTH - Nice roll! Sorry about that strength stat though.

As for low intelligence, I don't think one would want to go that low in BG...I mean, mind flayers and all. Now, I do laugh when I see low intelligence characters in NWN. God. So funny.

Though, I'm semi-inspired to roll a Cavalier for SoD. I usually don't do Paladins.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The low exceptional strength roll isn't really that bad. Firstly, because 18/01-18/50 give the same bonuses (+1/+3), and secondly because it's all irrelevant once you get the strength tome. 97 is a damn good roll no matter what the exceptional strength.
    RAM021GreenWarlockFaydarkJuliusBorisov
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I just rolled up a Elven Archer
    got 95 points pretty good roll
    BUT
    when I moved his points around he had a 18/00 in Strength
    So he is a keeper
    to bad I cant put more into his Melee weapons
    BelgarathMTHRAM021JuliusBorisov