Skip to content

Story mode and integration with BG1

rgckrgck Member Posts: 1
Hello there!

I love what Beamdog is doing to the BG series. I was hoping someone involved with the development of the expansion could answer a few questions:

1-Regarding multi-player, what would happen if a player that owns the new expansion decides to play along with a person who does not have the new expansion? Will it still be possible to locate players who only own the BG1E? Or will BG1 be separated among those who own the new expansion and those who dont?

2-In case that yes, we can still play BG1 together with the people who don´t have the SOD, can we find out before joining with them if they own it or not so we can decide beforehand if we want to play with them or not?

3-I think it´s about time a casual mode be introduced. Great move. I know there was one available in ID1arranged and it was a fine addition. But do you really think that a side-quest or expansion is the best place to introduce it? Is there a chance that a story mode will become available for BG1 and 2 new editions? Even though having this option solely on BG1.5 is much better than nothing, it seems that something is missing in the remaining of the trilogy. Can we hope for it being introduced in future patches?

Thank you for the simply astonishing work you´re doing and the superb support you´re offering in continuously refining your products.

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    rgck said:

Hello there!

I love what Beamdog is doing to the BG series. I was hoping someone involved with the development of the expansion could answer a few questions:

1-Regarding multi-player, what would happen if a player that owns the new expansion decides to play along with a person who does not have the new expansion? Will it still be possible to locate players who only own the BG1E? Or will BG1 be separated among those who own the new expansion and those who dont?

2-In case that yes, we can still play BG1 together with the people who don´t have the SOD, can we find out before joining with them if they own it or not so we can decide beforehand if we want to play with them or not?

3-I think it´s about time a casual mode be introduced. Great move. I know there was one available in ID1arranged and it was a fine addition. But do you really think that a side-quest or expansion is the best place to introduce it? Is there a chance that a story mode will become available for BG1 and 2 new editions? Even though having this option solely on BG1.5 is much better than nothing, it seems that something is missing in the remaining of the trilogy. Can we hope for it being introduced in future patches?

Thank you for the simply astonishing work you´re doing and the superb support you´re offering in continuously refining your products.

The final question was answered during the announcement stream and the other two I can take an educated guess at:

1 - The expansion will be implemented ToB style, i.e. new chapters added to the end of the main BG1 story with a different world map. Since you can't go back to the previous maps after entering SoD I expect you will still be able to play multiplayer up to where the original ended regardless of who owns the expansion. After the final boss I anyone without the expansion will likely be booted from the game.

2 - I don't know, although I assume if you start a multiplayer game from within SoDs launch screen you will only see other players with SoD.

3 - All difficulty modes will be ported to BG:EE and BG2:EE. The BG:EE patch will be released at the same time as SoD, and BG2:EE shortly after. This patch will go to everyone that owns the game regardless if they have SoD. This patch will also bring in all the GUI changes and the new class. This will also ensure that everyone with BG:EE has the same version number of the game so they can all play together.