Skip to content

Ten Years Later, Star Wars KOTOR II Gets An Official Update

AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
FYI:

quote:
The update just dropped on Steam for PC, Mac, and Linux. It’s a doozy—at least, for a game that’s more than ten years old.

New features include:

-37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
-Steam Cloud saves
-Native widescreen resolution support
-Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
-Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
-Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
-Oh... and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu ;)

http://steamed.kotaku.com/ten-years-later-star-wars-kotor-ii-gets-an-official-up-1719284362
BelgarathMTHSpjuv3rnWilburDungeonnoobCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    8>0
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm playing through it now. Still some weird graphical glitches. Thankfully though with workshop functionality its really easy to install the restored content mod.
    AdsoGenryuDungeonnoobJuliusBorisov
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    I loved the KotOR games, especially the second one. Although I always thought the ending of number 2 was a little strange. A bit rushed maybe?
    Dungeonnoob
  • Ignatius_J_ReillyIgnatius_J_Reilly Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2015
    I always thought KotOR II was a bit like the red-headed stepchild of the Star Wars franchise. The development was cut short by LucasArts, leaving the game a half-finished mess, and Drew Karpyshyn's novel "Revan" (and SWTOR) did another number on it:

Canonically, the Exile went off to find Revan and got herself killed in thoroughly stupid, pointless, and anticlimactic manner

That said, I did feel as if the game got a bit self-indulgent at times...the writers clearly thought Kreia was such an oh-so-brilliant character that they had to force you to listen to her monologues...even if you don't take her along on your quests.
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    elminster said:

its really easy to install the restored content mod.

It finally came out? Man I waited so many years for that, that in the end I kind of just gave up hope and forgot all about it. Now you have filled me with 'a new hope', er sorry that wasn't very punny.

But on a serious note, I'm tempted to dig out my old dusty disks now, especially if it includes the long teased HK manufacturing plant!
    FinneousPJ
    Not sure what it includes to be honest. I'm only making my way through the game again myself now (I'm on telos)
    I ended up going with a jedi sentinel. Personally I'm not really liking it. I think I prefer the consular :)
    CrevsDaak
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    Sith Inquisitor for me. ;)
    elminster
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    This is interesting news. I loved KOTOR 1 back in the day but never set out to play the sequel.
    CrevsDaak
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Just installed the restored content mod thanks to the magical powers of steam workshop!
    This is now a higher priority on my to-do list. Thanks for the post! n_n
    CrevsDaak
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Can't say I'm overly excited. It's still a mess of a game, sadly.
    Yea the AI still sucks. "Hey look there are guys over there. Lets attack them! Hey look there are more guys, I know I'm at half health but I should still attack them. Lets attack them!"
    DungeonnoobCrevsDaak
    I bought the game on Steam since the price was very reasonable. Will play after Deus Ex is finished.
    edited July 2015
    Pazaak is the worst. I'm curious to know how it works internally because opponents seem to be drawing a lot of very lucky draws (that equal 20) without the use of +/- cards. Having played both Kotor and Kotor2 there doesn't seem to be much of a difference either in terms of how it operates (for instance you still always go first).
    the_spyderCrevsDaakFardragon
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I honestly never tried playing Pazaak after the first attempt. I'm ok with mini-games, and I've played my fair share of card games. But that one just didn't strike my interest.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I did it in Kotor 1 to grind credits.
    I also save-scummed when I lost too many times because I'm a horrible person.
    the_spyderWilburCrevsDaak
    Vallmyr said:

I did it in Kotor 1 to grind credits.
    I also save-scummed when I lost too many times because I'm a horrible person.

There's nothing wrong with save scumming. Right? Right? Tries to convince himself
    VallmyrDungeonnoobCrevsDaakwubble
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    I should probably wait for the next patch,but i can't,i want my silverish lightsaber tonight.

edited July 2015
    I've beaten the game numerous times many years ago. However, having played it a bit more (with the restored content mod) as a result of this patch I definitely am seeing (even before the final area) how unfinished the game really was. In a place like Tatooine having large amount of emptiness is justified but even in Nar Shaddaa I have found a lot of rooms where you can't do anything in them (even locked rooms).
    Post edited by elminster on
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    only... on Steam...? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    elminster
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    elminster said:

I ended up going with a jedi sentinel. Personally I'm not really liking it. I think I prefer the consular :)

Yeah, the Sentinel isn't very good (the Guardian is arguable since it gets much more HP and Feats). I only played twice as a Sentinel and both times I realised that the build wasn't good enough neither in melee nor with the Force.

Random tip: if you go Dual-Wielding, use Critical Strike + Force Speed instead of Flurry when you attack. Also going single-handed with Force Speed and Flurry is pretty nice (Dual-wield with Flurry is kinda a waste since your attacks aren't as powerful).
    Wilburelminster
    CrevsDaak said:

elminster said:

Yeah, the Sentinel isn't very good (the Guardian is arguable since it gets much more HP and Feats). I only played twice as a Sentinel and both times I realised that the build wasn't good enough neither in melee nor with the Force.
    So the Sentinel is the basic jack of all master of none story. Good to know so I don't waste my first playthrough on that.

CrevsDaak
    edited July 2015
    To be honest the balancing is such that after you do your first post-telos planet (provided you do all its quests) you'll already be pretty powerful compared to most of your opponents. Especially if you have a good amount of wisdom and take Insanity as a force power.

The good thing about the sentinel though is that its pretty convenient in that you can do everything. Because of my high intelligence (and thanks to a few feats taken) I've basically got every skill I need. So I don't need to switch party members to open a door and if I want to use my computer skills or security or whatever I'm already fine with that skill.
    WilburCrevsDaakDungeonnoob
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    elminster said:

Ever since Darth Maul I've always liked to go with the double saber. Even if this guy tells me it is impractical :)

I haven't pressed "play" yet, but the screenshot alone makes me LMAO.
    CrevsDaakVallmyrDungeonnoobWilbur

elminster said:

Ever since Darth Maul I've always liked to go with the double saber. Even if this guy tells me it is impractical :)

I would not dare say it to his face :D
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    From a gameplay point of view, class balance was awful in KOTOR, and KOTOR2 made it much worse.

I'm not usually one to care about balance, but when you are starting from scratch, it takes some doing to be worse than AD&D first edition.

It hurts the replayability of both games.
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    Wilbur said:

I would not dare say it to his face :D
    Oh Skallagrim is a good sort. The opening image *is* supposed to elicit a LMAO response. ;)
    Vallmyr