Skip to content

Starting Thac0

So is the toon supposed to start with a thac0 of 20? I only have 17 as a fighter wielding a long sword with 2 pips and a strength 18/89.

It's been ages since Baldurs Gate and I've only been playing BG2 so maybe spoiled? lol

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Yes. Base THAC0 at Level 1 is 20 for all classes.
  • SciobthaSciobtha Member Posts: 54
    Thanks @Kilivitz prolly a dumb question, but is has really been forever since BG1 hehe
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    There are no dumb questions when it comes to AD&D mechanics. It's not an intuitive system at all.

(And that's exactly why some of us love it, but of course, your mileage may vary)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It is a silly system. Remember lower is better.

It is a silly system. Remember lower is better.

Yea I had just forgotten what it was like to have a hit be the exception after BG2 lol
    Kilivitz said:

There are no dumb questions when it comes to AD&D mechanics. It's not an intuitive system at all.

(And that's exactly why some of us love it, but of course, your mileage may vary)

It is a total blast to play. I just couldn't remember if that was how it was supposed to be. lol If it weren't for the guards outside the Friendly Arm Inn, Tarkash would have owned me. Feared both me and Imoen in the opening exchanges. Note to self, spread out when fighting mages XD

• JomberwigJomberwig Member Posts: 8
    17... that's pretty darn good THAC0 for level 1, you should be hitting a gibberling about hmm, 50% of the time maybe
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    a warrior elf with 2 proficiencies in longbow using a longbow/ composite longbow with 19 dex, will have 14 thac0 at level 1
    gasp! its @sarevok57 geez, he won't die in the 1st one, joins the party in the 2nd and now he breaking the 4th wall to make a forum tag on a website about the game he is supposed to be dead multiple times in?! The nerve!!

sry :P in a weird mood tonight.
    Jomberwig said:

17... that's pretty darn good THAC0 for level 1, you should be hitting a gibberling about hmm, 50% of the time maybe

yea I took straight fighter as couldn't decide what class to play, went with 2 longsword pips and that 18/89 str is helping too lol