Skip to content

My In-game map is glitched, and I cannot access certain areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Recently I decided to reinstall the original Baldur's Gate as I do every few years to have another playthrough, as every time is a unique experience, but as I was playing I got to thinking I'd never actually played the 2nd game or the 2 expansion packs, so I decided that I was going to take this character through both games and there respective expansions.

However, I had heard mixed things about BGEE and BGEE2 so I decided I would try to buy the original version of the games to match the game I already had, but I couldn't find a decent copy of the originals anywhere, they were either very expensive or on sketchy websites, so I decided the only thing to do was to buy the EE's on steam, beforehand I did some research as to whether importing an "in-progess" save from the OG BG into BGEE was possible I found it was with only a few people reporting problems. After buying the game I manually transfered my save over to the EE and thankfully I was able to continue where I left off, I had the same items, same stats, same quest completion, everything was awesome, there was one minor gripe my map was squished and off centre to the upper left, it was only a slight inconvenience when navigating, but had no negative effects on any actual gameplay... yet.

After many hours of gameplay I decided to try out a new npc, so I picked up Neera, she told me about her quest and as I was going to do it, I hit quite a severe issue, the area i'm suppose to travel to, does not exist in my game world and as I later discovered neither does durlag's tower. They do not show up on the map at all and there is no way to access these areas, that is where I am at now, so I was wondering is there anything I can do to solve this issue? and as a last resort could I reset the game map without affecting my saved game? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated :) P.S I'm sorry about the huge essay but I haven't found a similar issue to mine on any forum so thought it best to give as much detail as possible :)

These are some screenshots I took of the map:

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Do you know how to work the cheat codes? You could transport your party to a missing area through it.
  • Hybird44Hybird44 Member Posts: 6
    I have the console enabled, but don't know the codes, I would prefer not to have to resort to that everytime I need to travel to a new area, how many new areas are there in the ee, do Dorn and Rasaad have new quest areas? If there are no other fixes I will have to. Thank you for the suggestion! :)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited August 2015
    I understand, but I think that, once you've transported yourself to an area, you'll be able to see it in the map.
    How about reinstalling the game?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Reinstalling the game likely wouldn't help. The original games saves shouldn't be used in BGEE.

C:MoveToArea("OH2000") is for Neera's quest.

C:MoveToArea("OH3000") is for Rasaad's quest.
    DJ, That would be awesome if that was the case, I'll quickly test it out. And, Elminster so the original game saves aren't compatible with the EE after all? I'll keep that in mind and thank you for the console commands! :)
    edited August 2015
    A quick update, I used the console commands to get me to Adoy's Enclave and just talked to the goblin, and this is where the map says I am:

So it seems I will I have to use the console to navigate to new areas, does anyone know if there are any prerequisites or quests that needed to be accomplished/completed before entering any dlc areas such as Ulgoth's Beard or Durlag's Tower, as I would like to experience the game as the devs intended?
    edited August 2015
    Also, I now know BG and BGEE saves are incompatible, but does anyone know for certain if it is possible to Import a character file/End Game file from the original BG into BG2EE or whether I should scrap that save game, which would be a shame?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    Based on my limited understanding of the situation your actual character file would itself be probably fine (that isn't guaranteed though). Its really the save game itself that is likely where the map issues are arising (engine stuff like this isn't my area of expertise). The safer solution would be to probably import to BG2EE using just the character file, rather than the saved game, though you will lose progress on any romances you had in BGEE (this is only relevant for the new EE characters).
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't know where I read this, but here's what worked for me:
    Start at the Southern edge of Firewine Bridge.
    Transition to the area East of the Carnival.
    Hit the North edge transition from here.
    Adoy's Enclave appeared on my map.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    If you are looking for the original games I believe they are on GOG.com.