Skip to content

Unwanted camera movement when accessing containers

3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
edited February 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
[Windows][Beamdog][BG2:EE 1.3.2064][Standard game/no mods]
[My system:][Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3][4 GB RAM][1920*1080/32-bit colours][Core i7-3770K][Radeon 6670]

This bug is somewhat similar to :

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38004/11094-scrolling-in-small-locations-should-not-see-the-camera-move-back-and-forth

Summing the above bug # 11094 up :

When in small areas/locations;

moving the cursor from pressing against the top border of the main view, to the bottom border of the main view

- the camera will snap/jerk from left to right, then back to left.

http://youtu.be/4Pr6ADRuskw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This new bug is different than # 11094, so I thought it needed mentioning in case the bug-repairmen didn't notice it.

This bug is also related to unwanted camera movement, but in this case it's up/down, not left/right as in # 11094.

Description :

When looking in containers in small areas, plus near the bottom of large areas

- the camera will snap/jerk down, then up again.

http://youtu.be/okPVv9bFlLA

Post edited by 3leeTbger on

Comments

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    Additional information:

This is a well-known annoyance that has been present in all Baldur's Gate games since vanilla BG1. It is caused by the way the engine handles the size of the bottom GUI bar.

The bar consists of the bottom buttons and the combat log. When you extend the combat log, the vertical size of the bar increases accordingly. When you now open a container, the size of the bar is reduced as if the combat log were completely folded in. However, if the camera is at the bottom edge of the screen, the reduction of the bar's size forces the game to shift the camera position upwards, which causes the unwanted camera movement.

The problem only happens if the combat log is folded out to mid size or full size. If the combat log is completely folded in, there is no reduction when you open a container because the size of the bottom bar stays the same.

The solution to this problem is to not change the size of the bottom bar when a container is opened. Instead, the engine should treat the bottom bar as always having the size determined by the current state of the combat log.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2015
    Hurricane said:

This is a well-known annoyance that has been present in all Baldur's Gate games since vanilla BG1.

If you mean including all versions, then you're wrong, both above bugs weren't present in bg2:ee 1.2
    Post edited by 3leeTbger on
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    I don't know about the left-to-right problem. I was only talking about the camera movement issue when accessing containers. I just checked my backup copy of BGII:EE v1.2 and it happens there as well.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    edited September 2015
    Any chance this one can get reconsidered / tagged?