Skip to content

I've played original BG1&2 before

I usually play a fighter or a paladin but I'd like to try something new. Any suggestions?

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    You might also consider a cleric. They combine divine magic with the ability to wear armor and wield blunt weapons, offering you the chance to dabble in some spellcasting while still being able to thump an enemy when needed.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    My most fun BG playthrough was with a thief/mage. It's a little more versatile than a pure mage and being able to backstab comes in handy in many situations (not so much in BG2 though).
  • LeloLelo Member Posts: 60
    I usually play mages in most games but in BG1 mages usually get killed very easily. I'll probably stand a better chance at multi-classing.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    I would suggest either trying one of the new Paladin kits (all are pretty much better than the base Paladin class and have nice passive immunities), or I'd go ahead and try a dual class. Fighter dual classed into Mage can be really good, and it also means early in the game you won't have such a squishy character. By the time you dual class the rest of your party members should be leveled up enough and set to protect you from getting killed until you can get your old Fighter abilities back.

Swashbuckler dual classed into Fighter could serve you well too, only leveling up the essential thieving skills before dual classing into a Fighter who gets some great little bonuses of the Swashbuckler when you get your old abilities back. Dual classing at level 6 or 7 is generally the route you want to go depending on the class combo, if you want to get your first class abilities back in the first game.

Both of those dual classing combinations would allow you some utility and make sure you're not exactly a squishy character either. Also dual classing allows you to start off as a class kit then dual class into something else, whereas multiclassing doesn't allow you to do so with a kit so that's another thing to think about.
  • kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    I like playing rangers and mages.