Skip to content

Negative THAC0 Question

If a bad guy has an AC of 0 and my character has a THAC0 of 2, I know this means that he has to roll a 2 or higher for a successful hit. Even if his THAC0 is 1, he would still need a 2 since a nat 1 is a critical failure. How does it work if my character has a negative THAC0, such as a -1? Obviously, a nat 1 is still a failure, but how does a negative THAC0 work in relation to an opponent's AC?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    If they have negative AC then your negative THAC0 scales down with that. So if they have and AC of -10 and you have a THAC0 of -2 you need an 8 to hit them. If you have a THAC0 of -10 and they have an AC of anything less than -9 you only miss on a 1.

You *always* miss on a 1. You could have a THAC0 of -10 and they could have an AC of +10, you will still miss on a 1.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Okay, let's say you are fighting an enemy with AC 10. Your THAC0 is -1. -1-10=-11. You will hit the opponent on any roll that is not a 1. The general THAC0 formula is (Your THAC0)-(enemy's AC)=smallest number you need to hit.
  • mickeyblueeyessjmickeyblueeyessj Member Posts: 12
    So, for my character with a -1 THAC0, an enemy would need an AC of -4 in order for me to miss on something other than a nat 1, since -1- -4 = 3, meaning a rolled 2 would miss, but any roll 3 or higher would hit?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Using the above example you would hit AC -3 on a 0, AC-2 on a 1, AC-1 on a 2 and AC 0 on a 3. So yes you'd need to roll a 3 to hit.