Skip to content

Did BG2EE incorporate the intelligence limitation to spell ranks?

Imoen has Intelligence 17. In the old BG2, she could scribe scrolls into her book all the way up to level 9. I took this for granted for so long that when I went to scribe some level 9 spells recently in BG2EE, I was surprised when I couldn't. I was sure this was a bug. Then I went and looked at the AD&D 2nd edition ability tables, and I noticed the column for max spell rank. I had completely forgotten about it. Does this mean that in order for me to scribe level 9 spells for Imoen, she needs to chug potions every time? That'll get tedious.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes.
    DurenasJuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    It is tedious, but there really ought to be *some* benefit to greater Intelligence for casters (in effect, it's a fairly trivial benefit... as they can still cast at their base Int).
    Daevelon
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    It is sort of annoying, they should have given Neera 18 int so Edwin isn't the only mage that can naturally scribe 9th level spells and get the max number of spells known.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Neera doesn't seem as intelligent as Edwin though when you really think about it. That needs to be reflected in the stats
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    It could be worse, in PnP, if you didn't have the int, you couldn't cast the spell, most DM's wouldn't let you use the potion trick.
    semiticgoddess