Skip to content

Installing mods that expect dialog.tlk to be at the root directory

valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
edited September 2015 in General Modding
I was trying to install Item Upgrade for BG2EE, which doesnt know how to look in /lang/en_US for the dialog.tlk file, but it obviously failed. Works fine if I move dialog.tlk to the root directory, but then every other mod fails.

My question is: can I move dialog.tlk to the root directory to install that mod, then move it back to its 'EE' location and install every other mod? Would that work?

I assume the answer is yes, but just checking with the pros :) I'm used to just letting WEIDU do its thing. The sticky does say this mod is compatible Weidu issues nonwithstanding so Im hopeful.
Fina92

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    You should never move the dialog.tlk. It'll only cause problems in one way or another. The reason for this error is that Item Upgrade contains an outdated executable, which doesn't support the Enhanced Editions yet. The mod itself should be EE-compatible otherwise.

If you install many different mods, then the "setup-xxx" executables will be automatically updated to the most up-to-date version available. If this is not the case, you'll have to update it manually. Download the latest WeiDU for your system and replace the mod's "setup-itemupgrade.exe" with a renamed "weidu.exe" found in the WeiDU archive.
    JuliusBorisov
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Doh, thank you. That worked fine.

I was halfway through an install using the first workaround I thought about, but I'll start over and do it your way, sounds like a much better and cleaner solution.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    argent77 said:

You should never move the dialog.tlk. It'll only cause problems in one way or another.

I've done that a few times when I first got the game and didn't have any issues with it. As long as you remember to copy it back the LANG folder after any changes are made.