Skip to content

Restoring old spell animations

In the enhanced editions Spell Trap, Spell Immunity, and Spell Deflection all share the same animations (several orbs swirling around the caster). Is there anyway I could restore the old graphic for some of these spells? I believe they shared the same animation as the cloak of mirroring in the original (single orb around the caster). Thanks

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah that animation was like horrible, you couldn't see your own char. And if you equip the cloak of mirroring you spend the rest of the game as a swirly, twirly orb of electricity.
    However, if you want to, you can get the animation files from a classic bg2 installation via dltcep, drop these files to your override folder and edit your bg2:ee spells to use that animation via dltcep. Or, if the file names are the same (they very well may be) just dropping the bg2 files into the override may be enough.
  • WanderingScholarWanderingScholar Member Posts: 17
    I agree that having it on permanently is headache inducing, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've no modding experience so perhaps this belongs in the dltcep or modding forums. I've got dltcep setup on the original game and located spell trap. Is it one of the effects listed under "Extended Effects" that I need to copy into the enhanced edition override? I'm lost from here on...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2015
    You need to find the effect that causes the globe animation to appear on caster. In that effect you need to look up the resource file for that animation. Once you get the name, use dltcep's edit category to open up that bam file and save it to your desktop. You may also need to do the same with the wc file of the same name. Dop those two animation files to your override folder. If the names are the same, the spell will now use this vintage bg2 animation since you overrided it. If file names are different, you must use dltcep again this time on bg2:ee to edit the spell trap's (of bg2:ee) to use the file name of the vintage animation.