Skip to content

Integrating mods in the main game

@Dee and others, I wondered if you agree with the idea of integrating some mods in the main game, considering how good they are: Ascension, Edwin Romance, Illithid Companion, Tome and Blood are all good candidates.

Of course, not all of them are possible for both versions of the game. but it is worth considering, at least.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I mean integrated for free and with their permission. You mistake your personal opinion with those mods' brilliance.

Ascension was made by David Gaider himself, how he actually envisioned the finale.

Another good candidate would be "redeem irenicus" and have him as party member...
    edited September 2015
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Dee said:

Speaking only for myself (so don't take this as a writ from Beamdog), the only mods I would consider good candidates for "canon" integration would be Ascension and Unfinished Business. Those are the only mods out there that have their roots in actual design documents, and thus the best ones to make the case for implementation.

Integrating them officially, though, requires more than just a checkbox; players would expect any new content, even content from mods, to be voiced to the same level and quality as the rest of the game, and any mod-created artwork would require additional passes to make sure it matches the level of polish seen throughout the game.

And then, as @subtledoctor mentioned, there's the question of whether or not they should be canon. Many players disagree about Ascension, and others might disagree about Unfinished Business. Open that discussion up to less popular or well-known mods, and the dissenting opinions are only multiplied.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'd rather shine the spotlight on the mods that are being created right now, rather than the ones that were created ten or fifteen years ago, because as great as those classics were, today's modders have learned a lot from their predecessors.

Except for @LiamEsler - that guy's a total hack. (Miss your face, Liam. :) )

ahhhghhh noo ub is a total hackjob and half of it is based on literal fanfiction
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Almateria said:

Dee said:

Speaking only for myself (so don't take this as a writ from Beamdog), the only mods I would consider good candidates for "canon" integration would be Ascension and Unfinished Business. Those are the only mods out there that have their roots in actual design documents, and thus the best ones to make the case for implementation.

Integrating them officially, though, requires more than just a checkbox; players would expect any new content, even content from mods, to be voiced to the same level and quality as the rest of the game, and any mod-created artwork would require additional passes to make sure it matches the level of polish seen throughout the game.

And then, as @subtledoctor mentioned, there's the question of whether or not they should be canon. Many players disagree about Ascension, and others might disagree about Unfinished Business. Open that discussion up to less popular or well-known mods, and the dissenting opinions are only multiplied.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'd rather shine the spotlight on the mods that are being created right now, rather than the ones that were created ten or fifteen years ago, because as great as those classics were, today's modders have learned a lot from their predecessors.

ahhhghhh noo ub is a total hackjob and half of it is based on literal fanfiction
    I rest my case. :)
    edited September 2015

I mean integrated for free and with their permission. You mistake your personal opinion with those mods' brilliance.

I mistake nothing. And I'm not sure how brilliant your personal favorite mods are, if I haven't even encountered them. I think *you* might be mistaking *your* personal opinion for some kind of universal truth - like so many people on the interweb.

I'd much rather Beamdog work to help modders better integrate their work with the game (and work on iOS!!) than arbitrarily elevate some mods above others. (And let's not re-open the whole debate about whether Ascension "is rooted in original design docs." It isn't. Gaider himself wrote as much in the mod's readme. (Amazing how rarely a document titled "read me" actually gets read...))

And to clarify, I also meant for free. I don't think mods should *be* DLC, just that a mod installer could be integrated *like* the DLC.
    and you, like so many people on the interweb, tend to be offensive for no reason.

the entire BG saga is non-canon for the D&D continuity anyway. while there is a canon continuity in-game, there is no reason why it could not open up to slight (entirely optional) alterations.

the idea of a mod manager \ easier integration is nice however. I am unsure how, exactly, it could work in case of conflicts.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    If I still did care for the Enhanced Editions (which I don't), I would be against the idea of incorporating more mods into it. Actually, I would rather be advocating the removal of the current integrated mods, like BG2 Fixpack and 1PP, that imo should be made available only as separate and optional downloads.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Wizard Slayer+Hexxat+the goblin chick+illithid+redeemed Irenicus+romanceable Edwin: truly the stuff of legend. Add Saerileth and Tsujatha and throw in Imoen Romance for good measure, and we might have a good old JRPG on our hands.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I feel a little sarcasm there.
    edited September 2015
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Why is the fixpack a problem for some people? Apart from the optional but cool components and possibly a few beta fixes? But even those seem pretty minor.
    The optional-but-cool features from BG2 Fixpack were not integrated; only the core component of actual bug fixes. That may be part of what people don't like, that it's missing components they always liked to install. Or they may not want some bugs to be fixed, or disagree with the Fixpack's author about whether something was really a bug.
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, that's more than a little off-the-rails, @subtledoctor; the only thing I'd say in response is that we've done a lot for modders, even if the specific ToBEx features you're looking for haven't been implemented yet. Try not to mistake the forest for the trees, although I do get what you mean about missing moddabilities being a sticking point for many people.
    edited September 2015
    hence why the request for official support. BG modding is not like the Elder Scrolls, with an .esp file which can allow easy cross-check and compatibility issues. compiling and de-compiling files, and not possible, for example, to have multi-music mods, or soundsets with actual voice+text combos.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited October 2015
    Dee said:

Yeah, that's more than a little off-the-rails, @subtledoctor; the only thing I'd say in response is that we've done a lot for modders, even if the specific ToBEx features you're looking for haven't been implemented yet. Try not to mistake the forest for the trees, although I do get what you mean about missing moddabilities being a sticking point for many people.

My favorite word here: yet!

Edit: as for the other thing. Yeah, some of us want the EE version to be a no brainer, the obvious and only choice. The one where you can have everything you could in vanilla plus. I don't think that is totally off the rails
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    While I am absolutely flattered that you would include Tome and Blood in the same list as Ascension, I think that mods should be left as (optional) mods. The only exclusions I would make are for bug fixes (who doesn't want a less buggy game? speedrunners don't answer this.); features that open up new opportunities for both play and modification, such as ToBEx; and things that open up options but make no changes to gameplay, such as Extended Animations.

Incorporating popular mods into the official Enhanced Editions also raises a whole lot of issues. What mods do you include? What if I don't want one of those mods? How is a mod's quality and popularity assessed? Who ultimately makes these decisions?

Matters of incorporation aside, there is also the issue of commercializing mods, which I will protest with every fiber of my being, if necessary. Let's say that your proposal occurred and Tome and Blood got incorporated into the official game. Once it's incorporated, what rights do I, as the creator, have? Am I even allowed to make change to things anymore? Would I still be able to distribute it for free? I imagine that the answers would be something like: not that many, really; probably not, and if I do want to make changes they have to be approved and tested for high quality and stability (not to mention the inevitable bureaucracy); and very, very doubtful, respectively.

Even with my personal issues with this aside, there is then the further of issue of discouraging new modders because they won't want to deal with the bureaucracy or the intimidating prospect of having a mod so good that it got incorporated into the game. What if your mod isn't good/popular/balanced/whatever enough to ever be incorporated? Why do other peoples' mods get to be officially endorsed while your mod that you spent days, if not weeks, coding in a truly arcane programming language isn't?

Perhaps that's a pessimistic view of things (and I'm sure the folks at Beamdog at great), but I would be incredibly hesitant to allow incorporation of Tome and Blood even if it was offered in some official capacity.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    Dee said:

What about something like SCS to make the game more challenging than what the difficulty slider offers?