Skip to content

Scroll cases can hold books (they can't in BG:EE)

Observed: Scroll cases hold books as well as scrolls and letters
Expected: They should not be able to hold larger/unfoldable objects such as books (they are not able to do so in BG:EE)

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2015
    Please do not change this, it is convenient for those of us who like to collect books and not more unrealistic than the sheer amount of potions the potion case can hold.
    Post edited by Ammar on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I agree with @Ammar, since I collect the books too. The number of books in BG2 would be ridiculously unmanageable without this feature, please don't change it. It'd be quite handy if we could also have the same convenience feature in BG1.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Hi All. It might not be convenient, but it's completely unrealistic, and wouldn't be allowed in a real D&D campaign. You don't need to own the books, just read them and drop them. So I'd vote for the BGEE approach. We can't have everything our own way - that's my opinion
    Dharius said:

Hi All. It might not be convenient, but it's completely unrealistic, and wouldn't be allowed in a real D&D campaign. You don't need to own the books, just read them and drop them. So I'd vote for the BGEE approach. We can't have everything our own way - that's my opinion

Neither is the potion case or the ammo belt and both actually have an impact on gameplay unlike collecting books.

I would agree with you if realism and logistics were a focus in BG. But this is not the case. Chars require no food, no water. In that sort of game you should strive for realism only when it impacts gameplay. For example, allowing changing armor in battle would be bad.

So unlike you I would allow it ESPECIALLY because you do not need them. If you did I would vote for strictness instead.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Ah well, we disagree then :)
    Dharius said:

Ah well, we disagree then :)

Since BG 2 has the newer version of the engine the discussion could very well be moot anyway.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The reason BG:EE's scroll case doesn't accept books is that books in BG:EE aren't flagged as scrolls, which they are in BGII:EE. So the scroll case is functioning the same in both games, but books are marked differently in BG:EE. (In other words, both games are working "as designed", though their respective designs differ.)

Just to offer some perspective as to why there's a difference.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'd support flagging bg:ee books as scrolls rather than the other way around

"paper stuff go there" is how the vast majority of people use the scroll case i think. the item icon kinda looks like you could fit a book or two in there too.

what and how much of it can fit in a container has definitely always been an abstraction - how can you fit a bajillion of arrows in an ammo belt?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I think we have to assume that all of the portable containers in BG have a minor version of the Bag of Holding magic, since they all hold stuff which IRL wouldn't fit and they all maintain constant weight even when full of heavy items.

Thus the BG2 scroll case is perfectly consistent with other containers, and therefore there's nothing "wrong" with it holding books, and there'd be nothing "wrong" with the BG1 scroll case if it worked the same way.