Skip to content

Nitpicking

This is probably a silly thing to bother you all about, but I've noticed a lore inconsistency in one of Rasaad's lines in a romance dialogue.

He says, "I must tell you, [Charname] - after the events of these past weeks, I feel myself drawn to you, in a way I never imagined possible."

The problem is that in Forgotten Realms, they have "tendays" instead of weeks.

And I'm extra sad because it's a voiced line, so it's not even an easy fix.

I care too much about these things.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In 2e? I've never heard anyone say tenday in BG. I haven't heard anything but you'd think It would come up.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Doesn't someone say "this is not my tenday" or something somewhere? I seem to recall...

Or maybe I'm just imagining things.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Elminster says tenday at least once in BG.
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    I think Drizzt says they are not expected back in Ten Towns for another tenday, when you ask him for help against Bodhi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Um... in Calimshan... the uh... word for tenday is "wiek"... yeah, that's it... pronounced just like the English "week"... yeah... big coincidence there... yep...
    To be fair, one could simply say that the word "week" simply denotes a sub-unit of the month, and leave the actual length of it up to the context. Sort of how "New Year" has different meanings depending on calendar.

I mean, it's not like English is a thing there, right. It's all translated for our benefit :P
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    BillyYank said:

Um... in Calimshan... the uh... word for tenday is "wiek"... yeah, that's it... pronounced just like the English "week"... yeah... big coincidence there... yep...

Is it really? o_O I've not been able to find any reference to it in any Alzhedo dictionary, but if that's really Alzhedo for tenday, I am heartily disappointed in whoever thought that up. It's even more head-desk inducing than the fact that Elvish for dog is "coo" when Manx for dog is literally the same word.

To be fair, one could simply say that the word "week" simply denotes a sub-unit of the month, and leave the actual length of it up to the context. Sort of how "New Year" has different meanings depending on calendar.

I mean, it's not like English is a thing there, right. It's all translated for our benefit :P

In the Calendar of Harptos, which is used throughout Faerûn, there are twelve months of thirty days each, which makes for three tendays, so tendays are the sub-unit in this calendar. Forgotten Realms lore is very specific about time measurement.

While English isn't a thing, Common is, and I've always been under the impression that Common is meant to be understood as whatever the players' language is, so no translation necessary. To be fair, though, this kind of thing is often a bit murky. Constructed languages make things complicated. I personally think that's fun, but I know a lot of people find it annoying.
    Svar said:

In the Calendar of Harptos, which is used throughout Faerûn, there are twelve months of thirty days each, which makes for three tendays, so tendays are the sub-unit in this calendar. Forgotten Realms lore is very specific about time measurement.

I'm not calling into question the time-measurement, merely the terminology. Since the term "tenday" and the term "week" both denote the same thing (a sub-unit of the month), there is a possibility of simply using a term we are familiar with, regardless of the different length in our context; as long as there is no confusion about things like the next sub-unit (day), this is a semantic issue of translation only.
    Svar said:

While English isn't a thing, Common is, and I've always been under the impression that Common is meant to be understood as whatever the players' language is, so no translation necessary.

But doesn't that essentially mean that it *is* a translation, only into whatever language the player speaks? There is a very real difference between the word content and the information content, which necessarily gets parsed via translation. An interesting thing to note, but perhaps more apparent to people who are accustomed to living with multiple languages.

Logic transfers that skip over semantic irregularities are a fairly common thing there, and contexts are often understood implicitly; i.e. I would know what someone from Faerûn means when they say "week" (i.e. a period of ten days) - the word is the same as English week (= seven days) but given the context I'm in I make a mental transfer. It's the same way e.g. a Chinese person would say "year" but mean a different period (starting with the Chinese New Year) than someone from another social-cultural background would by the same term; confusion is usually avoided by realization of context, and only arises when specific qualities require further classification.

Of course, the use of context-specific terminology in fiction is used primarily not for precision but for immersion. As such, the slip-up in this particular example is, of course, just that - and not an attempt to smooth over social-cultural differences with common terminology.