Skip to content

Expansion or interlude for BG2:EE ?

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
With SoD rounding up, is there a room for the official expansion story of Shadows of Amn and Throne of the Baal ?
Or maybe some interlude DLC as Watcher's Keep with new and old characters and locations?
For example, exploring a subplot involving other Baal's priest and priestesses or maybe another deities like Talos, Amauntor, Lathander, Mielliki, Shar, Lolth, Illatmer ...
What do you think?
Post edited by brus on

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Interlude DLC is certainly a possibility. But the games are (ignoring the dropped content) perfect as they are. As much as I am for bonus content, I would be more keen to see a BG3 than an addition to BG2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    More episodes would always be welcome, of course. However, it might be weird trying to fit them into the saga as it is.

There is very little time between SoA and ToB. Unlike between BG1 and BG2 (where something happened and we never knew what, until recently), the story makes it clear that between BG2 and ToB you just stay in Suldanessalar for a while, enjoying elven hospitality until they politely as you to leave (at which point ToB begins). Fitting an adventure into that time frame is not IMPOSSIBLE within the narrative, but seems overly contrived.

Still, there could definitely be other ways such an adventure could be implemented.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    BG 3 as contiume to to story tmeline of TOB?

IF u become the lord of murder/or not?

I think a focus in the drow world will create a wonderful game.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited December 2015
    If I were to do something about BG2, I'd remake ToB plot.
    Last year I started to design a Balthazar NPC mod that would largely alter ToB plotline and eventual possible outcomes. I did write all the story, dialogues, and designed new bosses etc... involved but never got time to make the actual Mod
    Here are the key features I thought of:
    After speaking to a couple of new NPC in Amkethran, you discover Balthazar is a Bhaalspawn.
    If your character is LN, LG or NG, and your reputation above 14, you are allowed to enter Balthazar monastery.
    Then you can discuss with Balthazar, and choosing the right options would allow you to recruit him, your goal now being to chase down other Bhaalspawns over the Sword coast. That , of course, includes Sendai and Abazigal, and a couple more I designed, as well as a scene that let you spectate the BP2 fight involving BP2 characters against the Bhaalspawns Kastulor and Enegar, and depending on the outcome you get to go into the battle to finish them, or not.
    I wrote a few banters involving Balthazar and Charname, the former wanting to be sure your will is to get rid of all Bhaalspawn.
    Once you've dealt with all of them, you go to Amelyssan, the dialogue is slightly tweaked to reflect the fact you get one of the Five to fight along with you.
    The final dialogue would have different options:
    You could choose to surrender your essence to Amelyssan and get it destroyed, and Balthazar will do the same. Normal ending.
    You could as well claim the essence. If you do so and have more than 14 reputation, Balthazar would accept to surrender his part to you and you will have the godhood ending. If not, he would tell you that he disapproves of this and will ask once again if you truly want this. If you agree to surrender it, CF first ending I mentioned. If not, then you will have to fight and kill Balthazar and the other good-aligned member of your team, then your alignment is changed to Neutral Evil, and you will have Evil godhood ending.
    Lastly you may surrender your essence to Balthazar and convince him it is a good idea. That would be normal ending for you, and a special epilogue for Balthazar.
    Of course I wrote a different epilogue fitting each situation for Balthazar.

I know a similar mod exists but I wanted to expend it with more content.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Obviously you can do whatever you like in a mod, @Arunsun, but I think the focus of this thread is what Beamdog could do in an official expansion, which precludes changes to existing content.
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    Arunsun said:

If I were to do something about BG2, I'd remake ToB plot.
    Last year I started to design a Balthazar NPC mod that would largely alter ToB plotline and eventual possible outcomes. I did write all the story, dialogues, and designed new bosses etc... involved but never got time to make the actual Mod
    Here are the key features I thought of:
    After speaking to a couple of new NPC in Amkethran, you discover Balthazar is a Bhaalspawn.
    If your character is LN, LG or NG, and your reputation above 14, you are allowed to enter Balthazar monastery.
    Then you can discuss with Balthazar, and choosing the right options would allow you to recruit him, your goal now being to chase down other Bhaalspawns over the Sword coast. That , of course, includes Sendai and Abazigal, and a couple more I designed, as well as a scene that let you spectate the BP2 fight involving BP2 characters against the Bhaalspawns Kastulor and Enegar, and depending on the outcome you get to go into the battle to finish them, or not.
    I wrote a few banters involving Balthazar and Charname, the former wanting to be sure your will is to get rid of all Bhaalspawn.
    Once you've dealt with all of them, you go to Amelyssan, the dialogue is slightly tweaked to reflect the fact you get one of the Five to fight along with you.
    The final dialogue would have different options:
    You could choose to surrender your essence to Amelyssan and get it destroyed, and Balthazar will do the same. Normal ending.
    You could as well claim the essence. If you do so and have more than 14 reputation, Balthazar would accept to surrender his part to you and you will have the godhood ending. If not, he would tell you that he disapproves of this and will ask once again if you truly want this. If you agree to surrender it, CF first ending I mentioned. If not, then you will have to fight and kill Balthazar and the other good-aligned member of your team, then your alignment is changed to Neutral Evil, and you will have Evil godhood ending.
    Lastly you may surrender your essence to Balthazar and convince him it is a good idea. That would be normal ending for you, and a special epilogue for Balthazar.
    Of course I wrote a different epilogue fitting each situation for Balthazar.

I know a similar mod exists but I wanted to expend it with more content.

Interesting take on the character... I'd certainly love to see that happen, as your idea seems a lot more fitting for him! As far as I remember, you don't have a choice and you're forced to fight him, regardless of the fact that he seems to be neutral, and not necessarily evil, unlike the rest of the Bhaalspawns integrating the Five. Balthazar even passed as nice, as he's polite with you even though you're one of them, children of Bhaal, as well. It's very interesting, really.
    @IsabellaGranger Balthazar is even Lawful good in fact, which is why I have always thought something was missing in the opportunity you had with him. A normal lawful good guy would not attack a fellow lawful good paladin with a reputation of 20 for example.
    Arunsun said:

A normal lawful good guy would not attack a fellow lawful good paladin with a reputation of 20 for example.

True, but Balthazar does explain why he's doing it.

I agree, though, that there are definitely some modding possibilities in expanding the options for the interaction with Balthazar.
  • BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2015
    While I would love a "BG3", continuing the story with charname and current NPCs would be... odd. The story is over. Charname and NPCs are already godly powerful. I think I would like something new, like Pillars of Eternity, but in the Forgotten Realms setting. Something new that is story-driven (e.g. not Icewind Dale). I don't know anything about 4th or 5th editions D&D, but I wouldn't mind if the game used those if WotC required it.

Having said that, it would be great if some genius could draft a sequel to BG2 that made good sense (doesn't feel forced) and left room for character development, story, etc.

Edit: sequel to BG2 not BG3
    Post edited by Border on
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    BG3 could happen in different timeline, hundreds of years after Amn. Maybe in time of ruins of Amn and beginning of new civilizations and cities.
    Post edited by brus on
    brus said:

BG3 could happen in different timeline, hundreds of years after Amn. Maybe in time of ruins of Amn and begining of new civilizations and cities.

Baldur's Gate games are related to the Bhaalspawn episode. If one wants to make a new D&D/infinity engine game that takes place in the Forgotten Realms but is unrelated to Bhaalspawns, one will have to make a new game with another name.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Arunsun said:

brus said:

BG3 could happen in different timeline, hundreds of years after Amn. Maybe in time of ruins of Amn and begining of new civilizations and cities.

Baldur's Gate games are related to the Bhaalspawn episode. If one wants to make a new D&D/infinity engine game that takes place in the Forgotten Realms but is unrelated to Bhaalspawns, one will have to make a new game with another name.
    Or use the name as a cash cow.
  • spammyspammy Member Posts: 9
    This is something totally impossible, but I would love to see a sort of covering expansion that would enable to visit all the past places like BG, Amn, Saradush and have new banter depending how you finished the separate games and the ability to tag along old teammates and accompany them towards the fulfilment of the end credits in ToB. For example: accompany Anomen to Maztica, or fight alongside Minsc and the Justice Fist. Also the ending is close to the beginning of the spellplague. Heaps of possibilities.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603

People need the courage to move on. Baldur's Gate is a milestone in RPGaming, and a piece of history. Building on that piece is possible to some degree (the EEs and SoD prove that), but you have to be able to move forward. We do need new stories, not continuations of old ones. Be brave!

I agree. With SoD the time between Candlekeep and the end of ToB is pretty much accounted for. Whilst ToB is spectacular, it is also quite boring being so powerful. I for one do not want to play 'Bhaalspawn, The God' and equally 'Bhaalspawn, The Foetus' is not an option.

I would rather see the brand expanded, using the same format and mechanics, somewhere else in Faerun but in context with BG (I find IWD too abstract and difficult to identify with the participants, or the setting).

In short, I prefer to play struggling underdogs than all-conquering superheroes.

• BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    There are still plenty of cities in Faerun that don't have an associated PC game. I think it's time for a Waterdeep or Calimshan game. Maybe even a Tethyr ( not sure if that is the name of a city or region, but it works).
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    There are hundreds of cities in FR lore. One of my favorite is Thultanthar, city in the sky http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Thultanthar.
    " Thultanthar was created in the year -1471 DR. In 1487 DR, Thultanthar was brought to ground by Elminster Aumar. It fell upon Myth Drannor, destroying both cities."

I don't know if Baldur's gate is in this timeline between -1471 DR and 1487 DR but nevertheless there is rich lore to be explored potentially. Furthermore, it could be very compelling and delightfull to see some new continent beside Faerun or even new planet except Abeir-Toril. Possibilities are really endless.
    Post edited by brus on
    I, for one, would enjoy an adventure playing as a power of the planes against other similar powers. There again, the possibilities are endless, and there are so many planes and strong beings that are left unexplored and unexploited. Planescape: Torment is a real masterpiece because of its unique universe.
    I like playing BG and ascending to a superior status, but I would also love seeing what the world is like on a "godly" point of view, once you have ascended. Countering evil schemes of massive impact, plotting your own, etc..., I believe I would like that.
    @Arunsun - I'd probably enjoy that, too. However, I suspect that it'd be very difficult to implement in a way which satisfied a consensus of players as being credible and "correct", especially since I understand that FR lore is a little sparse on the mechanics of life-as-a-god.

I continue to think that the more feasible way to devise a game which could justify being called "BG3" would be a follow-up story about a new mortal protagonist who is involved in the aftermath [insert story here] of the Bhaalspawn War, rather than trying to continue the story of Gorion's Ward.
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    It will be kinda cool to be able to go to Tethyr and have a quest line to clear the bounty on CHARNAME if its an expansion to ToB.

The party gets attacked in the Oasis so after you see the bounty notice and the message from the queen, you can head there. Maybe even encounter other Bhaalspawns similar to Gromnir going mad or innocent ones.
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52

Arunsun said:

A normal lawful good guy would not attack a fellow lawful good paladin with a reputation of 20 for example.

True, but Balthazar does explain why he's doing it.

I agree, though, that there are definitely some modding possibilities in expanding the options for the interaction with Balthazar.
    I definitely agree too, even more knowing Balthazar is actually lawful good. I'd really like to see how that mod comes out, I think it'll change things for the better. ToB has been labelled as ''linear'' plenty of times, but it was earned for a reason. A pretty valid one, in fact.

As for the BG3... I'd would much rather see an improvement for said expansion above... ToB could use a lot more of locations, side-quests, characters maybe, and more liberty for our protagonist... You're a damn demi-God, you're supposed to be following strict orders from a demonic angel you've just met? No! I say allowance to the free roaming and rampage! xD Really so. Our protagonist could use a little more of freedom to move along new areas, and do whatever he/she pleases to do and to get more experience! At the end of the day, you're going to kill you know who... So... What's wrong with roaming around? Besides, all RPG factors aside, improving ToB seems a lot easier than starting a new game from 0. Just my opinion, though..
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2015
    Honestly, a new BG is unlikely. If one were to surface it would have to be a many generations after the events of ToB. The Bhaalspawn are no more, obviously, but Cyric is finally out of imprisonment from murdering Mystra and is back again causing chaos, would be the main storyline. They could make the first game from the events of the Spellplague and follow it up with Cyric being free 1000 years later. Just an idea, and only "Baldur's Gate" in name due to the lack of Bhaalspawn. Doesn't mean charname can't be some average Joe on the quest for glory, greatness, and godhood. Let's not forget many deities, including Cyric, were once mortal.