Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Use any Item won't allow me to wear some items

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
edited January 2016 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
in the file that I have attached, I have 3 items that my swashbuckler cannot equip, 2 of them are rasaad's items and one is cernd, despite the fact that my wisdom is inadequate and the other two belong to cernd, this should not be any issue, if rogues can wield holy avengers with UAI so should they be able to use NPC specific gear
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    I'm reasonably certain that in the EEs you can't wear NPC-specific items even with UAI.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    but why is that? I remember back in the vanilla days I would have a fighter wear valygar's armor, and I didn't even need UAI
    Well, I'm not the best person to ask why as I'm not a developer, but I can tell you it is possible and really easy to mod/NI the items so you can use them. For example, here are Rasaad's boots usable by others. You don't even need UAI.
    nah, its alright, I would rather have it that you would need to use UAI to use npc specific gear rather than just have so anyone could do it with ease, call me weird, but that's okay :)
    Oh, I totally understand! There's just not restrictions on the items other than NPC-related, so unless you add in your own restrictions they're going to be usable by anyone. You can definitely add in monk restrictions for example though.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    In the original BG2, there was a loophole around items restricted to NPCs. You could wear them as long as you matched alignment and certain stats with the NPC in question. I remember reading, for example, that a Lawful Good Monk with 17 CHA could wear Keldorn's Plate Mail armor.

I wouldn't be able to tell you, though, if that's been removed in the EEs. But I do agree that Use Any Item shouldn't restrict you from using these items. It seems inconsistent to me.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    There is a new opcode in the EE engine that can restrict items by script name. You can remove this limitation by editing the item file easily enough.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    As @Caeria says, this is a deliberate change in EE (confirmed somewhere in the release notes), that items which are meant to be restricted to a named character are now strictly restricted to that person only, which can be evaded neither by matching stats nor by UAI.
    yeah I tested the stat thing with cernd's cloak, and even if you stats match, and without the red hue, it still says you cant use it
    Yeah, there's a "restrict item" line in the .itm file in EE. The only way to have another character use it is to get rid of that line.
This discussion has been closed.