Skip to content

Why are my character's HP lowered so much when Exported?

Pre-export, my character has 190 HP while naked. He has a Con of 20 and is a Dual Class with 24 Fighter levels and 20 Thief levels (Fighter levels not active yet). He also got the extra +10 from the Deck of Many things.

Post-export, he only has 125 HP and the other conditions are the same (Except for the DoMT, he hasn't used that yet).

I have been leveling on easy for the max HP each level.

Now I don't know which of those values is supposed to be the correct one as I have no idea how HPs work exactly, what I do know is that they really shouldn't be different (Should they?). Any idea why this is happening and which one is the correct value? I can fix the incorrect one via use of Shadowkeeper, I just need to know which is which.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited December 2015
    Fighter HP at lvl24 with CON=20:

9d10 base hit dice for lvl9+ = 90 with max rolls
    +3/level over 9 = +45
    +5/level up to 9 for 20 CON = +45
    +10 Deck of Many Things

= 190 (as expected)

My guess would be that you didn't get max rolls on import for the base hit dice, as the other bonuses are static and shouldn't change.

To test this, you could import again and see if the value changes; that would indicate a random roll on import.
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    I noticed something similar when I imported from BG1EE to BG2EE - my hp was definitely a bit lower than it was in BG1. I feel like I recall reading somewhere gives you the average HP per level you would expect or something of the like? Might be wrong on that count.

Either way, I don't like it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    It's not impossible that it averages the rolls, though the average roll on 9d10 is 49.5 and the missing HP is 55 (190-10-125) which seems a bit weird for that to be the case.
  • Giant2005Giant2005 Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2015
    Well whatever is going on, I can confirm that the 45 from the Con is working fine. Shadowkeeper separates those parts, so the error must be coming from one of the other three components.
    Considering as Lord_Tansheron said, the average doesn't really explain the difference, it is probably a case of it not reacting well to Dual-Classing, or maybe the DoMT bonus confuses the math.
    I'm going to export a couple more times to see if the exported version is always 125 HP. If that number varies, then it is likely that the game is just rolling 9D10 each time I export and coming up with different values (Which kind of sucks).

EDIT: Just exported him three times and got the same 125 HP each time. Whatever it is doing, it isn't random.
    edited December 2015
    It must be recalculating it to some sort of formula, though I know not what that would be. I'd like to add however, that my character was and still is a pure fighter - so for me atleast, it's nothing to do with dual classing. It could feasibly be picking the middle number for each 1d10 roll, which would you give 45hp. 55-10 because maybe it doesn't like DoMT would give you the exact missing hp.

EDIT: Checked out my own character to see how much HP I was losing when I imported. I had 99hp upon exporting from BG1 - and upon importing I had 94. I wasn't getting max hp per level until I found the BG1 tweaks which I originally got to hide those ugly helmets - but I got the HP tweak too because I liked the idea of that. This wasn't until I neared a lot closer to the end of the game.

I only lost 5hp, which isn't at all consistent with my idea that it's picking the middle number - but what if even though you're getting max HP per level - somewhere off-screen, it's still rolling the dice, and storing that number somewhere - even if it shouldn't? This would explain why the HP is always the same upon exporting and importing, that it's not recalculating, it's already calculated - and would also explain why I lost so little HP - because I already had a relatively high HP without the max HP per level. I could be wrong of course, but it's just something that could be the case.

That being said, if it is, those rolls we don't see have to be stored somewhere.

EDIT2: Now this is interesting. Despite my character having an HP of 99 on my save, if I then load up the save in EEKeeper he has....94hp. That does put a little support for my theory here, but then my next question is, where is the 99hp being stored? After all, that has to be stored somewhere, doesn't it? So I decided to see what would happen if I increased my hp in EEKeeper. I increased my base HP by 1, updated it, and it told me my total hp would be 95. So, saved it, fired up the game...and lo and behold my hp was not 95, but now 100.

Now I'm just stumbling in the dark here, but my guess is that somewhere else, in the save file, but not the character file - this extra HP we're getting on our level ups is being stored - but when we export our character, we have only our character file as opposed to the save file, meaning we then lose that bonus HP.
    Post edited by MrNooby on
    That certainly sounds like a solid theory!
    One spanner I'd like to throw in the works is the fact that my character was originally exported from Baldur's Gate too. I didn't pay much attention to his HP at the time but considering he had the expected 190 in BG2, he can't have lost any HP when being exported from BG1 to BG2. It is only the second time that he is being exported (From BG2 to BG2 again) that he is losing the HP.
    Well, that really is a spanner in the works here. I'm going to assume for a moment that you leveled up on easy in BG1 aswell, as opposed using a tweak like I did.

It could possibly be feasible that the tweak I used is being stored to a save instead of character file, the easy setting correctly stores this to the character file, but the easy setting in BG2 incorrectly stores it to the save file. That's probably a little far fetched, but it's really the only plausible thing I can think of. That being said...I'm going to go ahead and mess around with the console and see if I can find anything out. I'd be interested to see if your character did lose any HP upon importing from the first game regardless, if you've still the save file, for all we know that lost HP could possibly be gained somewhere after dual classing due to some crazy stuff we're not seeing. If you don't have the save anymore, no big deal - this is all just my curiousity at this point anyway.
    I have the final save and have attached the file here (Assuming it is the one you were asking for - the Final Save of BG1).
    I think you are on to the right idea but I think the difference isn't the fact that the games are BG1 and BG2 but something that I failed to mention until this point - the initial export (From BG1 to BG2) was done via exporting from a save game. The secone export (From BG2 to BG2) was done via exporting a character file. If there is a difference in the data, it is probably between those two file types. I'll see if I can export the character from my saved game and if it retains the HP.
    edited December 2015
    Not quite the final save, but a save just before you fight the final boss (not naming here to avoid spoilers). My EEKeeper doesn't like to load final saves for some reason. Do you mean you imported your final save directly into BG2, or that you exported the character from a save in BG1, then importing the character rather than the save?

EDIT: I'd actually be interested in having both a save right before the final fight in BG1, and the save you're trying to export from in BG2. That being said, I just tried to test my theory by giving myself enough exp for a level up on my pre-battle save, and everytime, the base HP in EEKeeper increased by 10. I mean, I only tried it twice, so I guess it's possible I got lucky and rolled a 10 both times. But barring that, it seems my theory would be incorrect - but that doesn't change the fact that the total hp being shown in EEKeeper is different from what it is in-game, so something is still weird and fishy here.

I'll probably mess around a bit more later - but if anyone with a bit more experience than I (seriously, I haven't even finished BG2 yet) wants to offer their insight, I'd love to hear it - this is driving me nuts!
    edited December 2015
    I exported the final save into BG2 and then after playing BG2 for quite some time, I made a character file and imported that into BG2 again (Via the Bhaalspawn's character page and clicking export).

I didn't actually get around to trying to import from a BG2 save rather than a character file (Although I am certain that would have came up with the right amount of HP) as I tried something else and found what is causing the bug, although I still have no idea why.

When you click "New Game" there is a list of 4 pregen characters and at the bottom a "Create Character" option. Because I exported my character as a character file, he is there among the four making 5 pregen characters to choose from without clicking "Create Character". If I select my character from there, the game loads up and he has 125 HP. However if I click "Create Character" and then import him via clicking the "Import" button from there, he comes up with the 190 HP he is supposed to have.

For some reason clicking him from the pregen list screws him over.
    edited December 2015
    Here is the character file if you want to try it out.
    Edit: Nvm, the file wouldn't upload - it says the Uploaded file type is not allowed.
    EDIT2: Just noticed that my previous attempt at uploading a file didn't work either. I must be too new or something.
    edited December 2015
    And yet another spanner in the works it seems.

I'm glad you got that fixed. I'd like to note that I exported my character from his record in BG1, and into BG2 from there (because it wouldn't let me import the save file itself), and I didn't select him from the pre-gen characters, and he was still losing a little HP.

The fact that you didn't lose HP, but imported from the save file can still lend a little support to my theory that some extra HP is being stored in the save as opposed to the character file, since you imported via save and I didn't. What confuses me about that however, is that exporting from your record in BG2 but making sure to select the import instead of using the pre-gen gives you the correct HP - because if my theory is to be true, then this should not be the case, unless importing your save file directly is somehow giving that extra HP from the save and adding it to your character file. So I'd still be interested in having both a BG1 and BG2 save file from you if you don't mind taking the time for that. I don't see the file you said you attached in the previous post though.

EDIT: Could you try the save instead of character file?
    I'll try the save but I don't think it will upload. It kind of makes sense for your theory to be true still - the game could remember both values. The importing via create character is something that existed in the original game and obviously works fine. The pregen page is something new that came with EE however and they could have inadvertently coded it to use the wrong value.

And I just tried uploading the file but it is still not allowed.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    This is a known issue and has been marked for resolution - #11125

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38105
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @MrNooby - I'll bet your 99 HP character is wearing the Helm of Balduran. Amongst its other effects, the Helm adds +5 HP. That extra 5 doesn't "belong" to the character and isn't stored in the character file, instead it's added dynamically to whoever is currently wearing the Helm. Thus your character's innate HP is 94, as correctly shown in the character file. When you load into BG2, your equipment is removed, so you have 94 HP until you recover the Helm and put it back on.
    Well. Now I feel like an idiot. But thanks for solving that little problem :P