Skip to content

Dorn's sidequest - Where is Kryll?

Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
Hi,

I like this forum and I don't post so often. I just wanted to report my experience on Dorn's sidequest: I just can't find Kryll, whereas I have spent 3-4 hours looking for her in the areas at the east of Nashkel. I know the answer is here somewhere on the internet, but I don't want to get the answer from the internet. I will eventually find Kryll, even if it takes me months.

However I wanted to point out that this is bad design from beamdog developers. Please devs, this is the first quest I do with the three (four) new characters you've introduced in BG:EE, probably the very first part of Dorn's quest, and you hide Kryll so well that I cannot find her, even after hours of search? Unless my game is buggy or I missed her while she was in front of me, I went to the conclusion that there is clearly a lack of good sense in the way you made this quest. You should probably have given a better hint at where she could be, rather directly or maybe at least something that tells you that you are in the good area once you are there.

Yeah, Kivan's quest is worse in terms of design. But I hope you make quests that are doable in SoD, without requiring us to look at forums and websites to complete the first part of a character subquest. Because this is still early game and I had not planned to go there until later, I'm just exploring these areas for Kryll.

Edit: Don't take it personally though, I love the work you make Beamdog, just sometimes you make silly quests :) In BG2 Neera's quest, gathering all the cats was quite laborious and unfun, on the other hand the following part of Neera's quest (when you have to attack a hidden base in Athkatra) was absolutely great.

Comments

• Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Mmmh okay. This is not the fault or Beamdog devs, but of the way areas appear on the map. You have to go to the east / south-east of Nashkel mines to have the mountain area appear, otherwise you don't get it. And instead I went to the area directly at the east, and then I tried the festival, Durlag's tower and Flammevin Bridge because I was not aware there was this area at the south.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Yeah I think I found that encounter by accident too. The BG map is a bit odd sometimes with navigation.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2015
    It's sort of 'old school' PnP D&D, where DMs were devious bar stewards and you very quickly learned that you had to literally explore everywhere, look under every stone and talk to everyone in order to find what you were looking for.
    In a way, this is how the Tab function has changed player's expectations of the game - it used to be insanely difficult to find Evermemory or the Ankheg Plate, now they're just handed to you on a plate (no pun intended).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Absolutely, @dunbar, I couldn't agree more. That journey of discovery put the adventure into old-school adventure gaming, nowadays it's dumbed down to tourism.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    haha, this is a whole debate. I agree with you on the adventure and searching. It's just that my patience of search goes up to 3-4 hours, not more. If you can search for days, good for you :D
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I agree with Gallowglass, and miss the old days, although am a very happy tourist today ;)

One of the things I miss about the old days was being young and carefree enough to devote the time to relentless exploring the maps! In the days before internet, where rumor and false rumor abounded depending how many folks you know who played the game (internet was just breaking into popular culture in the UK about this time, may have been more established in USA)

We can't take back the culture of instant satisfaction, it has changed our own expectations, and I find the expectation to manage my time and achieve as much fun/satisfaction as I can with the down-time I get puts a premium on getting the most out of my time.

In other words, if I am going to devote a week or two to some fruitless leisure activity, it is more likely to be as a tourist with a beach and a coral reef or two, than holed up in my room poring over a screen. I get my gaming in 2-4 hour bursts now, and scouring every pixel of a screen to find ever memory (if I have not already memorized its location) is no longer thrilling - especially playing an old game where I had that thrill of discovery once (or twice) already :)

That said, back in the day, I think I did find every one of the 'Easter Egg' items other than the Ankheg Plate, which I had firmly in the category of false rumor until the tab key was enabled in TosC ;)