Skip to content

Editing NPC classes in EEKeeper

So in my next playthrough that I'll eventually-start-but-probably-not-for-a-long-time, I want to swap things around a little bit with my party. I know I could just play multiplayer solo - NPCs that are silent are boring.

I don't want to change a whole lot - but I'd really like to change Minsc into an archer, and Imoen into a pure thief as opposed to a dual. I know that part is simple enough to change in EEKeeper (I think), but will the effects of changing their class/kit be retroactive, or will I need to make edits to all of their stats that would have worked out differently due to their changes in class? And yes, I know Imoen being pure thief makes absolutely no sense at all from a RP point of view.

Comments

• Giant2005Giant2005 Member Posts: 43
    Edit their level to 0 and drop their HP to 1 on the Abilities page, and change the classes as you please on the Characteristics page. You might need to delete spells and abilities from the other pages too. Also it will probably short change you on your starting proficiencies.

What I do is create a protagonist that is exactly like you want the NPC to be and then essentially copy that to the NPC on each page erasing and adding whatever I need to. Even if you don't copy it exactly, it is still useful to have something to compare it to to ensure you aren't missing out on something that you should have or having more than you should.

If it helps you any, I wrote myself out the directions required to change Imoen's class to a Berserker without her having more (or less) than a standard Berserker should have. You can easily extrapolate from those steps what is required to do the same as a standard Thief - although that last step will obviously be different for a Thief compared to a Fighter. You will need to find out how many extra proficiencies a Thief gets at level 1 and add them (As they are the ones it doesn't seem to want to give you during this process). Although theoretically you could skip the level 1 troubles and just erase the Mage levels if you plan on keeping her as a standard Thief.

1st Step: Characteristics Page. Set Original Class to Fighter, uncheck "Dual Class", change class to Fighter and set Berserker as the Kit.
    2nd Step: Abilities page. Sort out her attributes, set all classes to level 0, Change Base and current HP to 1 (Remeber to re-edit later and subtract that HP), click "Update Bonus stats".
    3rd Step: Memorization page. Set everything to 0 except for Innate which should be set to 10.
    4th Step: Innate Page. Remove Innate Ability.
    5th Step: Wizard Page. Remove everything.
    6th Step: Proficiencies page. Give 3 proficiencies to Bastard Swords and 1 to Short Swords in the first class slot.
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    So in other words, start the character from level 1 and simply relevel them? Is it possible to replace an NPC with an imported version, while still retaining the NPC itself? If I could do that, it'd be as simple as importing a level 1 of the desired class, and giving them exp via EEKeeper to match their previous exp.
  • Giant2005Giant2005 Member Posts: 43
    If that is possible, I don't know how to do it, but resetting them to level 1 (level 0 really) and giving them the xp is enough of a solution for me.
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    There's nothing wrong with changing the classes of NPCs via EEKeeper, but you should really try out mod NPCs.
    I've no problem with trying new NPCs, there are just certain characters I like having around. Minsc, because Minsc is Minsc. Need I say anymore?

Imoen for RP reasons, and then whoever I'm romancing.
    You can romance a lot of mod NPCs. Not *all*, but I'd say most. But, if you want to stick to the canon romances, that's fine too. I don't stick to canon for romance because I usually (but not always) play female, and my canon choices are limited to Anomen (who I don't hate like some people do, I actually like him, but a girl's got to have some variety), Rasaad (who had THE WORST "romance" epilogue of all time), Dorn (who I hate), and Hexxat (who has a terrible "romance", and, as you may recall, I hate her even more than I hate Dorn).
    edited December 2015
    Yes, hating to the point of turning her into a statue and then smashing the statue to pieces :P
    Any mods you would recommend for added NPCs, given that there is no NPC project for BG2?
    You mean like, recs for mod NPCs, right? I have this really cute thing where I misunderstand questions a lot and I don't want to do that here :confused:
    I'm not sure how you could interpret the question differently, actually :P - so yes, recommendations for mod NPCs. I have a feeling that the longer I stay here, the more likely I am to see you misunderstand a bunch of questions though ;)
    Yay! :smile: And to that last part, who knows, maybe :smile:

I can't start a conversation like this without recommending Domi's Kivan for BG2 mod enough, because I'm obsessed with him I'm in love with him I think he's such a swell guy. Seriously though, it is a very well-written mod, in my opinion. It is hands down my favorite mod to play with. I have to force myself not to use him every time I start a new game.

Kulyok also has some really great mods that bring over BG1 NPCs to BG2. The ones I've used are Coran (I use him every single time I don't play a thief, in fact), Xan, and Branwen. Each one has a full friendship path, and Xan and Branwen are romanceable. Coran sadly is not but I have hope that that will change one day...anyway. They're very in-character, if that sort of thing matters to you. I think she also has a Tiax mod, but I don't like Tiax, so I've never used it. It's probably interesting, though.

As for completely new characters, I can't praise Rhaella's mods enough. Her Adrian and Isra are both fleshed out, colorful characters, and they're both romanceable as well. They're both very different characters, but I actually like them both a lot. Isra kind of grates on me, but I still like her, she's just very paladin-y, as she is a paladin. But, she fits nicely into my good-aligned parties.

I can also, in good conscience, recommend Angelo, Darian, Arath, and Dace. People also seem to like Auren Aseph. Personally, I hate her, but she is well-written. I just don't like her, but lots of people do. There's probably a few others I could recommend, but that's quite a few already.

Avoid like the plague: Saerileth and Tsujatha. Saerileth was just...horrible. You can tell her you love her like after your first conversation with her or something like that, I don't really remember as I only played her once and it was ages ago. Tsujatha was some of the worst dialogue I've ever read, I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a fork.