Skip to content

Jaheira romance glitch (Love Talk 52) (SPOILERS)

Hello everyone,
I've played through the game many, many times, but this is my first time doing the Jaheira romance. Everything was going fine until yesterday - Dermin had appeared once, warning Jaheira about her actions, and she subsequently left the Harpers. The next few Love Talks went ahead, until I eventually received one three times in a row - the one starting "How... how did that battle make you feel? Did you enjoy it?" Now, as far as I know, Dermin is supposed to spawn after this, and have a chat with Jaheira. This has not happened. About 20 in-game days have passed, and several times I've left the game running while I'm doing something else, so as to reach the next Love Talk. But nothing seems to be working. I've used the console to ensure that the romance is still active, and my Love Talk value is definitely 52. I've done all the necessary quests, including purchasing the locket in the Docks District. Using the console, I also set the DerminSpawn variable to 3, and the DerminAppear to 1, still nothing. I've even tried spawning Dermin with the console, but I can't talk to him. And before you ask, I've been resting & waiting in virtually every area - Athkatla, outside De Arnise Keep, Trademeet, the Temple Ruins... really getting fed-up now. I've completed pretty much every other quest in the game - all I need to do is kill Irenicus, and that's already about 40 in-game days overdue (willing suspension of disbelief is in full effect!).

My question is, does anyone have a solution to this? I know this is a fairly common problem (apparently), but none of the proposed solutions seem to work. I'm also very cautious about setting the LoveTalk variable forward too far. I put it up to 53 at one point, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I want to finish the romance, now that I'm invested in it, but this is getting ridiculous. Spent hours today fruitlessly. Oh, and I've downloaded one of the Baldurdash 'fix patches' for the romance, but that did nothing.

To anyone who reads this and tries to help, thank you enormously. I'm truly grateful.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm a little mystified by this one, @Arichmaegard.

There are a few episodes in the Jaheira story (although I can't recall whether this is one of them) where you need to rest in an outside area before the story will progress. Not in an inn, not anywhere in Athkatla, but in some rural zone (except not outside De Arnise Keep, which for some reason doesn't count for this purpose). I guess your efforts so far will already have covered this possibility (if only by accident!), but just in case, you could try sleeping outside on some other map.

Another possibility occurs to me. If you rest and then leave an area immediately after waking up, it's sometimes possible for a messenger character to have spawned some yards away from you as you woke up, without you noticing that he's there. But you've left the area before he had time to reach you and start speaking, so then he's stuck where you left him and you haven't yet heard his message. Perhaps the same thing can happen to Dermin ... so maybe he's actually there on one of the maps where you rested, still waiting for you to come within range to start the dialogue.

BTW, purchasing the locket in the Docks District isn't necessary for anything, AFAIK - it's just a decorative Easter Egg.
  • ArichmaegardArichmaegard Member Posts: 10

I'm a little mystified by this one, @Arichmaegard.

There are a few episodes in the Jaheira story (although I can't recall whether this is one of them) where you need to rest in an outside area before the story will progress. Not in an inn, not anywhere in Athkatla, but in some rural zone (except not outside De Arnise Keep, which for some reason doesn't count for this purpose). I guess your efforts so far will already have covered this possibility (if only by accident!), but just in case, you could try sleeping outside on some other map.

Another possibility occurs to me. If you rest and then leave an area immediately after waking up, it's sometimes possible for a messenger character to have spawned some yards away from you as you woke up, without you noticing that he's there. But you've left the area before he had time to reach you and start speaking, so then he's stuck where you left him and you haven't yet heard his message. Perhaps the same thing can happen to Dermin ... so maybe he's actually there on one of the maps where you rested, still waiting for you to come within range to start the dialogue.

BTW, purchasing the locket in the Docks District isn't necessary for anything, AFAIK - it's just a decorative Easter Egg.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I tried resting in wilderness areas (like the Druid Grove, Temple Ruins etc.), but still nothing, and usually waited around for about half a minute afterwards, with nobody spawning. In the end, I just used the console to advance the lovetalks from 52 to about... 57? And that seemed to work. I was worried that Dermin not appearing would screw up the rest of the romance, even if I advanced it via the console, but I got to the end. Had to spawn Terminsel with the console, though.

I'm a bit annoyed to have missed a few dialogues, but it didn't wreck the romance or anything. Still can't hold a candle to the Viconia romance though, in my opinion.

Thank you again for your response - have a nice day.
  • SelisSelis Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2015
    Seems you may be running into the same BeamDogBug as I am.

What's your current status on DerminSpawn?

C:GetGlobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL")

if it's 4, just set it to 5 to proceed to the next issue. But before that this should get your LoveTalk with Jaheira up to 57 through a few dialogs and one fight.

C:SetGlobal("DerminSpawn","GLOBAL",5)

The next issue being that Terminsel should spawn again, but not quite sure where's the bug there yet... Additionally this solution may later require you to set TerminselSpawn to 4 and TerminselAppear to 0, if he refuses to show to finish the quest. He'll immediately come and finish things up.
    Post edited by Selis on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've no idea whether or not this might apply in the particular cases described above, but sometimes it's the case that people think they've got a bug because Terminsel hasn't yet spawned, whereas actually it's just because they're being insufficiently patient.

Terminsel spawns a long time after the previous events in the quest, and for this purpose the quest-script is measuring real-time hours of play, not in-game notional time. It's several hours of actual playing time before Terminsel is scheduled to appear.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Jaheira Romance patch is still good to install with EE. I have never had any problems with it:
    -> JaheiraRomanceAndHarpersPlotPatchV21 from http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Jaheira.php

The OP is talking about not getting Dermin encounter #2. From my notes (walkthrough) - the LD numbers are my own sequence numbers:

LD29: Jaheira says "How…hm...how did that battle make you feel? Did you enjoy it?..."" talk 2, 1, 1

Dermin will appear for the 2nd time a few seconds later (or up to one minute): "Jaheira! I would have words with you!..."
    He asks Jaheira to come with him…talk 2

Keep REP under 16 for a while longer.

Next Rest on this play through was the last love talk with Aerie:
    Aerie says "We're - we're stopping? I just feel like collapsing here and dying; I just don't think I can go on..."
    Jaheira gets mad and says "If you continue to cry in such a fashion…for the last time: pull yourself together girl!"
    Aerie tells Jaheira to shut-up!
    Talk 3 (talk 4 = Aerie leaves)

LD30: No pause: with Jan (to PP) REST in Graveyard (or wild/De'Arnise) to get the first Terminsel encounter! "Good morning my lad…"
    He gives a letter and Jaheira is gone! Pick pocket him four times in EE (or 2x in BG2 if that wasn't enough!)

LD31: No pause: Docks: fight at the Harpers 8k xp
    Upstairs: get Jaheira! Talk 1, 1, 2, 1
    Tough fight downstairs: full buff vs Fire, use Summons, Chaotic Commands, Resist Fear and True Seeing, 15k xp. Loot includes a Dagger +2, Flail +1

Prepare for a very tough fight: useful potions include Fire Giant or Frost Giant Strength, Oils of Speed, Potions of Defense, and Potion of Agility for Keldorn

LD31B: In time or by using Pause (pause = press space bar and pause the game for 30 minutes to get the next love dialog, or 60 minutes is the Jaheira patch is not installed): Jaheira says "Is this an inconvenient time for us to speak?…" talk 1, 1, 2

LD32: no pause: REST in the WILD (e.g. Graveyard), Jaheira says "Ahh! The dawning of our day. Though it is very rarely…" talk 2, 2, 1 -> immediate fight:

LD33: change maps and Dermin and four others attack!
    Jaheira says "Stop! Do you see him? Ready yourself."
    Dermin: "As sharp-eyed as ever, though your choice in companions has not improved…""
    Fight 14500 xp
    After the fight Jaheira says "I did not wish this. I did not..." talk 1, 1

Loot includes Full Plate, Medium Shield +1, Bracers AC5, Cloak of Protection +1, Light X-bow +1, Flail +1, Small Shield +1, Ring of Protection +1, Amulet of Protection +1 and two arrows of slaying (worth 1500 gp); drops can be a Level 7-8 scroll!

LD34: no pause: REST (e.g. in a Tavern or the Graveyard), Jaheira
    says: "Ugh, it is about time we rested…" talk 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1

Use "pause" for LD35-36:
    LD35: Jaheira says "What? What is it you want?" talk 1, 1, 2

LD36: "You needn't keep a distance between us. I am in less of a mood now…" talk 1, 1, 2

LD37 (no pause): REST in the WILD (e.g. Graveyard)
    Jaheira says "I have…had a realization. I have been walking with my eyes down cast…" talk 5x 1

Use ""pause"" for LD38:
    LD38: Jaheira: "We have to be nearing our goal. It has been so long a journey, and we've been through so much!…" talk 2, 2, 1

Must have REP higher than 12 for the next Love Dialog (if following this walkthrough REP is 19 at this time)

Get Jan for LD39 (final rest before PP Terminsel for 2nd time)

LD39 (no pause): with Jan REST in the WILD (e.g. Graveyard or De'Arnise)

REST -> Jaheira says "Can I...I would…*ahem* Hear my words while I have the nerve. As we learn of our situation, I wanted to say…that there is so much to come, and I find I need your company more and more. You are a great comfort in this time."
    Talk 1, 2, 1, 2 ("When we are through with Irenicus")

Upon waking-up Jaheira says "We are ready to move on?…" talk 1
    Note for BG2 Enhanced Edition: must REST again (e.g. Inn or Graveyard) for Jaheira to ask "Are we ready to move on"

Use "pause" for approximately 60-70 minutes to get LD40 with Terminsel appearing for the 2nd time, but not for EE (see next note about bug)

Possible Terminsel bug (Terminsel not appearing for second time spawn bug):
    If he does not appear after 60-70 minutes there likely a bug
    (Terminsel would not appear for me even after 5 hours with EE 1.3)

Save the game and quit. Move the file Jaheira.bcs from the Override folder, then reload the save game; perhaps reload once more and change maps a few times, and Terminsel will appear!

LD40: Terminsel appears for second time ""Hello young lady. Might I have a word or two?...This is my question Jaheira: Did you do the right thing?"" She answers ""Undoubtedly!""
    Protagonist gets 100k xp! Jaheira gets the Harper Pin!
    Jan pick pocket Terminsel four times in EE!

Save and then place Jaheira.bcs back into Override folder"

Jaheira romance done! Cannot dismiss Jaheira throughout entire game otherwise the romance will be over for good.

Have fun!
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    I had a problem where the harper that tries to kill Jaheria (I don't remember her name) wasn't spawning, yet I had a love talk that talked about it, and I was really confused. It turned out that it was what Gallow said - they had spawned without me noticing, and I had left the area before they could talk to me.

Anyway, after that I never had any issues - just wanted to chip that in.