Skip to content

Build Me a Party

YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
My first BG game was BGII:SoA so during all of my play-throughs of BGI, I always leaned towards characters that would reappear in BGII. Because of SOD being released this year, I want to try new characters!

Build me a 6 party team excluding the following party members:
Imoen
Khalid
Jaheria
Minsc
Dynaheir
Dorn
Viconia
Edwin
[Easter Egg]

The team does not have to be perfect, but it must somewhat playable. I believe I am considering playing as Bard but the Mainchar is not set in stone yet. Potentially playing a Fighter/Thief.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    A couple of months ago I've started a game with pretty much this mentality.

My party in BG1 was Ajantis, Alora, Garrick, Quayle and Xan. Charname was a Dwarven Defender and Imoen covered for Alora before Chapter 5.

I chose this group based on the potential comedy. All played in my head, of course, but there you go.

The idea was also to have a certain sense of continuity (both mechanically and dramatically) going into BG2, so on that part of the saga, my party was Aerie (replacing Quayle), Keldorn (replacing Ajantis), Haer'Dalis (replacing Garrick), Nalia (replacing Alora as the Thief and Xan as the magic-user) and Mazzy (because once you go sniper halfling with GM in shortbows, you never go back).

I suppose a team like that would suit well a Fighter/Thief. You wouldn't need Imoen until Chapter 5 and to be honest, Nalia as the only Thief requires a but too much micromanaging.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Kilivitz's party of Nalia, Aerie, Keldorn, Haer'Dalis and Mazzy would work well with a F/T of any race/alignment. However, if you prefer a more evil-aligned party I'd recommend:

*Replacing Aerie with Viconia/Cernd/Anomen
    *Replacing Mazzy with Viconia/Cernd/Anomen/Korgan
    *Replacing Keldorn with Viconia/Cernd/Anomen/Korgan
    *Replacing Nalia with Jan

Also, Nalia can work well as a party's main thief, but you do need her to have the right potions, rings and other magic items in good supply, and that involves knowing how to get them early on.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2016
    PS For BGEE you could try Safana/Montaron, Branwen, Shar-Teel/Kagain/Kivan/Ajantis, Xan/Xzar, then Garrick (or Safana/Montaron if you're playing a Bard). They all occur early in the game, and I prefer parties that contain 2 thieves.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Thank you for your inputs. As a note for these parties, I am putting in zero consideration for BGII:EE. I will be playing them for BG:EE and SOD only.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

My first BG game was BGII:SoA so during all of my play-throughs of BGI, I always leaned towards characters that would reappear in BGII. Because of SOD being released this year, I want to try new characters!

Build me a 6 party team excluding the following party members:
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Jaheria
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Dorn
    Viconia
    Edwin
    [Easter Egg]

The team does not have to be perfect, but it must somewhat playable. I believe I am considering playing as Bard but the Mainchar is not set in stone yet. Potentially playing a Fighter/Thief.

The traveling circus:

BG1:

Jester (announcer)
    Garrick (minstrel and your wand user, all the Mage you need)
    Kagain (great feats of endurance with a love of gold)
    Raasad (he actually does perform for money)
    Branwen (you need a healer and she can summon dancing skeletons)
    Safana (seductress, thief, a great fit)

Kagain and Branwen in the front line
    Raasad right behind
    Safana and Garrick with missile weapons with wands as needed
    Charname singing away and casting

BG2

Jester (sings and then gets HLA bad song)
    Jan Jansen (oh the gadgets! And the stories!)
    Haer Dalis (the actor. Scarlet Ninjato+Belm means 4apr, up to 5 when spinning. Combine defensive spin and Jester's HLA song for the best possible AC in the game!)
    Aerie (you find her in an actual circus. Mage/cleric and a love triangle between Charname her and HD!)
    Wilson (a trained bear for your circus)
    Raasad (returns!)

HD is an amazing tank. Raasad gets very strong. Wilson is kinda meh, but he hits hard and fits. You have all the thief and Margery you would ever need. And defensive spin plus HLA bad song is killer.

Note! Dragons can't knock back a defensive spinning HD. Let him tank them while laughing.

This party lets you tour up and down the sword coast, bringing the realms the greatest show ever seen!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well, there are lots of ways of doing it, of course, but here are some parties which would work:-

For a Good/Neutral F/T - Ajantis, PC, Coran, Faldorn, Quayle, Xan.

For an Evil/Neutral F/T - Kagain, Montaron, PC, Faldorn, Quayle, Xzar.

For a Good/Neutral Bard - Ajantis, Yeslick, Faldorn, PC, Safana, Xan.

For an Evil/Neutral Bard - Shar-Teel, Montaron, Branwen, Faldorn, PC, Xzar.

Note that in SoD, unless there are more team members lastingly available in SoD than so far revealed, you'll have no realistic choice (for a full party) but to use some of the ones on your exclusion list.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    edited January 2016

Note that in SoD, unless there are more team members lastingly available in SoD than so far revealed, you'll have no realistic choice (for a full party) but to use some of the ones on your exclusion list.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm playing before we know which characters stay in SoD as an excuse to use them. When people bail, it'll be a nice excuse to pick up the new characters!