Skip to content

Quick Question

SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
What exactly handles the feedback circle sizes? Like how slimes have a bigger circle than humans. I don't know much about infinity modding but I am very willing to learn.

Also, is there a rescale function built in for animations? Like say, if I wanted a slightly bigger sword spider? I imagine you would have to manually edit every frame one by one, but I just want to make sure.

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Afaik, EXTANIM.2DA can be used to define or override creature circle sizes. I've never used it, so I can't tell you much about it.

Other than that, IWD:EE uses INI files to define all kinds of properties for creatures. This functionality is also present in BG2:EE and possibly in BG:EE, but you have to create or import the respective INI files by yourself. The INI filename is generated from the hexadecimal creature animation code you can find in ANIMATE.IDS plus .INI extension (e.g. DEATH_KNIGHT = 0x2300 -> filename = 2300.INI). Circle size is defined by the "ellipse" entry in the "[general]" section. I don't know if there is any comprehensive documentation about this file format.

In this screenshot you can see ellipse sizes of 8 through 28 (default size for humanoid creatures is 16):

Rescaling creature animations is probably an extremely tedious process without the right tools. Each creature consists of multiple animation files which are also organized into dozens of cycles for each animation sequence and orientation.
    You also have to account for color-coded creature files to preserve their color information. You'd also have to recalculate the center point for each animation frame so that the animation doesn't jump between frames and selection circles are shown below the feet of the creature and not somewhere else.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Thank you!

You wouldn't happen to have one of these right tools, by any chance?
    You could give BAM Resizer a try. I've never used it, so I don't know if you still need more tools to accomplish your task.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited January 2016
    Am I to use DLTCEP or Near Infinity? I can find ANIMATE.IDS and the codes very easily but that's it. I have no idea where those .INI files are.

BAMResizer works very nicely though, really easy to use. Not quite sure how to make it not overwrite the former beastie though.
    Post edited by SirBatince on
    As I mentioned before the INI files can only be found in IWD:EE. If you want to use them in BG2:EE as well you have to create them from scratch or import them from IWD:EE. You can export these files with Near Infinity very easily. If you're modding for BG1:EE you're limited to the EXTANIM.2DA though. This game doesn't appear to support INI files yet.