Skip to content

wanting to buy, have some preliminary concerns...

PscionPscion Member Posts: 19
so, like many other people in these forums i am an old school BG series fan, and have been interested in finding out there was an EE for them. I am thinking of buying the EE games, and have a couple questions. i have been researching and reading forums for the past week, and haven't seen them answered elsewhere. i want to be sure of myself, and more importantly what I'm using my money for (since as some can imagine, every little bit makes a huge difference these days) so here goes... (answers should also be relevant to BG 2 if possible)

firstly, i see there are lots of places that offer it for sale, some for half or less what the typical price is (which immediately throws up red flags to me), is there any way to tell what sources are legitimate? and are there any notable differences between legitimate sources?

next, if i buy the game are the licenses transferable? that is, would one license give access to both android and windows versions?

also, i understand from what I've read that beam-dog is the current developer or holder of the game rights (is that right?), and that they are adding content; albeit slowly, but aren't allowed to modify much of the existent content. is there a short list of what they CAN modify of the original game?

lastly (for now), what are the methods and differences between client downloads (are installers encoded, or do i get a unique key?), and will it be relatively easy to use my game client on different machines of the same type? i don't touch anything with a logo that brings rotten fruit to mind (lolz jk) - so this only applies to windows and android devices.

Comments

• TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2016
    I'll try to help:

First question: Steam and GOG usually offer discounts during year-end. Discounts of 60% or so is normal. I am not sure of "other places" you mentioned. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Second question: I am not sure but I don't think you can move BG:EE made for Android to Windows.

I can't answer the third question but for the final question, you can download Steam(if this the platform you will be using) on any computer, login and then reinstall them.

If I'm wrong, maybe the others can correct me ;)
  • PscionPscion Member Posts: 19
    Twenty said:

I'll try to help:

First question: Steam and GOG usually offer discounts during year-end. Discounts of 60% or so is normal. I am not sure of "other places" you mentioned. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Second question: I am not sure but I don't think you can move BG:EE made for Android to Windows.

I can't answer the third question but for the final question, you can download Steam(if this the platform you will be using) on any computer, login and then reinstall them.

If I'm wrong, maybe the others can correct me ;)

what i meant was there are tons of third party retailers online here that supposedly have the game, but are selling for $15 or lower, but their names and reputation are a mystery to me.

also, i didn't mean to use the same install files, but rather if i buy a license for PC BGEE i wondered if i could use the same key or license for an android install.

as for steam, personally i hate using any third source launcher for games to start with since it just seems unnecessary. can you get it without using steam? and if so, do you get an actual install package you can transfer?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited January 2016
    Gog.com is drm free, and they provide an installer that you can use on any computer. The pc version and android versions are considered different products, so you would have to purchase it twice to be able to play on both platforms. But, if you wait for it to go on sale, you could essentially get both versions for the normal price (or even less).
    alrighty, the android version is less important to me honestly - but how often does that kind of a sale actually happen?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    the PC/Mac versions seem to go on sale fairly frequently...keep an eye on either Steam or GOG. I don't know about the android version, but the ios version seems to go on sale two or three times a year. I would guess that all versions will go on sale at some point soon ahead of the Siege of Dragonspear release, but that's just a guess.
  • Shrake907Shrake907 Member Posts: 38
    You can find some trustworthy sellers on e-tailer sites. I went to Bonanza and got both BG 1 & 2 EE, GOG versions for a grand total of $11.98. Seriously, best purchase of electronic entertainment I've ever done.

Just gotta have a keen eye and common sense to avoid the shady stuff.
    Shrake907 said:

You can find some trustworthy sellers on e-tailer sites. I went to Bonanza and got both BG 1 & 2 EE, GOG versions for a grand total of $11.98. Seriously, best purchase of electronic entertainment I've ever done.

Just gotta have a keen eye and common sense to avoid the shady stuff.

well that's what i was thinking, just was wondering if there was a clear sign of some sort. any deal would be good, since i already am not sure if i'm re-buying a game i already technically owned... would you recommend any specifically?
    procco said:

Gog.com is drm free, and they provide an installer that you can use on any computer.

i saw some posts about update frustrations, does the GOG install connect as though directly to beam-dog? like does it get the updates reasonably fast?

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Beamdog sends updates to GOG so that the games can be updated on their site. But the way that GOG handles updates (at least historically, the advent of GOG Galaxy may have changed this) is that it simply reinstalls the game over the previous version, meaning that it may take a bit longer for the update process itself to complete.

Also, just to note, Beamdog.com is also DRM-free. If you're looking for a DRM-free option but don't want to buy from GOG (for whatever reason), Beamdog.com is the place to go.

As for trusted retailers, the places that distribute our games on desktop are Steam, GOG, Beamdog.com, and the Mac App Store. We may have deals with one or two trusted retailers outside that group, but they'll be selling keys to Steam or GOG, not the games themselves. And not every retailer is legit, nor is every listing. I remember recently seeing our games listed on Amazon, when Beamdog did not put them there. The resulting purchases from that site were empty and potentially malicious.

That's all a round-about way of saying that if you're concerned about security and you want to make sure your purchase is legitimate, buy from one of the retailers listed above.
  • Shrake907Shrake907 Member Posts: 38
    @Pscion Try Bonanza.com if you want the old school box sets, as for the EEs, G2A maybe? If you go to G2A, do the extra 1.99 for more protection.
    @Dee thanks! that helps immensely.
    @Shrake907 I'll check that out, thanks :)
    also, i've seen people refer to added content for the game, but do you have to pay anything extra for any of it in addition to the cost of the game? and does anyone know what kinds of things can be expected to be changed?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I oddly enough have a BGEE sitting on my Beamdog account waiting to be gifted. The person I bought for became not a friend any more.
    oh awesome! thanks for clarifying, i'm about to test it out. that's allot of important stuff to me to see implemented, so i'm excited :D