Skip to content

[Request] Multiclass Kits

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Current behaviour:
Multiclass characters are forced to a kitless "true class".

Desired behaviour:

a) Please introduce the kit application from paper & pen: You can choose 1 single class kit for a multiclass characters too (like selecting either a wizard kit OR a fighter kit OR a thief kit for your elven fighter/mage/thief,, or a fighter/mage or fighter/thief or mage/thief kit).

b) Please add the multiclass kits from the "complete races'" series, like "bladesinger" (for elven fighter/mages or elven fighter/mage/thieves, or ""infiltrator" for elven fighter/mage/thieves)
Post edited by Lunever on

Comments

• CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I think there would be a high risk of being overpowered very easily given how much better many of the kits are. Some kits are already a cross between two normal classes e.g two variants on fighter thieves are stalkers and swashbucklers.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Since Kits also include drawbacks and many Kit merits are static and don't get expanded when levelling up, I don't think there'd be anything overpowered. But, they add flavour to a character.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It would also enable classes like the Wizard Slayer/Mage or Berserker/Thief, neither of which make real sense.
    Then again, this can already be done by dual classing I guess.

Regardless, I'm fine with the way multiclassing works now. And it follows the proper 2nd Ed D&D rules, which is always a plus.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I like the idea. I suppose if we're really concerned with "balance"--that was not a real concern in 2 e--and frankly thinking of the absurdity that was 4 e, I don't want balance if it leads to homogeneity--it could be limited to specific multiclass kits that could be specifically balanced. I'm only familiar with a few pnp ones...actually I only recall a "spellblade" elfish one and (maaybe?) a gnomish tinkerer off the top of my head. I never got any of the "complete race x" books so I'm not too certain.. In any case I'm all for departing with the canon if out makes it fun and fresh.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    In the races books there have been a couple of racial multiclass kits like bladesinger (elven fighter/mage) oder infiltrator (elven fighter/mage/thief), but actually there are - to my knowloedge - not many of them, so implementing them would be a limited amount of work only.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Always wondered, why there is no thief\priest\mage multiclass available..
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    @Anton (not sure if that will work) I think it should be
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    good idea. it would be great motivation to play multiclass character, provided that kits are good and offer advantages and disadvantages on par eith current kits.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    illusionist can multi-class :)
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    I think that 1 kit should be allowed to pick for multiclasses. Currently we are forced to use ShadowKeeper for this purpose.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Drugar said:

It would also enable classes like the Wizard Slayer/Mage or Berserker/Thief, neither of which make real sense.

Conan may have been a Berserker/Thief.

In 3.x terms, he's probably a Barbarian/Rogue.

Fafhrd is probably a Barbarian > Thief. (Grey Mouser may be a Mage > Thief.)
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    Multi classes are generally overpowered than Single Kits already. Why should we allow much more OP?...
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Fighter/Mage is already arguably the most powerful class in the game. Wild Mage is a contender for second place due to NRD. This would lead to Fighter/Wild Mage.

I do like the idea, but I think it should only work with special multiclass only kits like bladesinger rather than allowing old kits to be used.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Tome said:

I do like the idea, but I think it should only work with special multiclass only kits like bladesinger rather than allowing old kits to be used.

Yeah... Bladesinger and Arcane Archer are two that I'd like to see.

Maybe they can be faked with Bard kits? Might work if the APR per kit is configurable.