Skip to content

Mega-brawl in High Hedge. Chap.1

Last night I was playing Chap.1BG[VanTotSC] with a party of:
Charname: FtrLvl 2
Imoen: ThfLvl 3
Jaheira: Level 2
Khalid: Level 2
Kivan: Level 2

We had just finished our first visit with Thalantyr [which included some 'harsh words' with the Golems] and I figured, why not score a few more XP before heading south to Nashkel and Minsc. Nothing extreme mind you. Just wanting to check out the nifty cabin we had not explored on our earlier visit to High Hedge when we recruited Kivan and recovered a Short Sword.

Giant Spider-----Check
6SkeletonDudes--Check, Mission accomplished!!

Note that this was sometime after dark. For some reason I decided to exit map by South edge which was still Fogged. Just as we passed below the entrance to Thalantyr's fortress, Jaheira equipped with Club spotted another Skellie. I let her go as she and ranged attackers had handled the earlier 6 with only 1 hit.

OMG, she was soon surrounded by at least 10-12 skellies and hurting bad. I rushed forward with Charname and Khalid while pulling Jaheira out of the fray to heal. But then 4 Wild Dogs, 1Flynd and @3Gnolls appeared from the East to join the ruckus. Wow!! We managed to put down the whole crew.

Then I thought, even though High Hedge-Skellie loot is generally something I disregard, that in such quantity it might be worth collecting. Particularly as we had just broken the bank buying Spell Scrolls for Dynaheir and also Imoen who would be Dual-classed to Conjuror after completing the Mines.

Turns out that Thalantyr offered 5Gp per ShrtSwrd which is way better than most vendors. I loaded up Kivan and we cashed in for 50GP.

Then when Kivan went to reload the arrows, halberd, etc. that he had dropped earlier to load up on 10 ShrtSwrds....the whole darn thing started all over again. Yuck!!! Fortunately he was able to bug-out of there without pulling more than 2 of the Skellies behind him.

But now I know that equipping several party members with Clubs or other Blunt Weapons is a very RP-able way of grinding some good XP before heading to Nashkel and much safer than taking on the Bad Doggies to be found lurking in the NE section of Temple map.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    If you got amazed this way by killing skeletons, wait until you see the XP flowing with flesh golems, sirines, vampiric wolves and basilisks.

I seldom go to Nashkel through the coast to boost my party's XP and get Safana early on (so I can Dual-Class Imoen to Wizard and Xzar to Cleric) - this only happens when I do a pure-Fighter run.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016
    I usually am travelling with a Level3-4 party by the time I get to Nashkel but this play-through I particularly wanted to get the Level2 Minsc. The higher level versions have lost so many possible HPs.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    There's a mod that enforces Lv 1 on NPCs, no matter how late you get them.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I recently started a new bounty hunter run with a smaller group of Imoen and Viconia. I did High Hedge earlier that my usual runs (level 2-3) and it was difficult but the challenge was fun. I had the same thing happen to me, where Viconia got mobbed by skeletons, flinds, gnolls and wild dogs while exiting the wizard tower. She did make it, but there was a lot of kiting up and down the map, ghouls joining in.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    @Raduziel, I believe BGTweaks is the mod that allows this.