Skip to content

Can't decide.

YkcirtYkcirt Member Posts: 11
I can't decide if I should get BG:EE or not.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo phone with a 5.1" inch display, my first decent phone in years. That's sort of small. I downloaded a screenshot of BG and viewed it on my phone and dang, those buttons are tiny! D:

On the other hand, it's freaking Baldurs Gate! On a freaking telephone! :D

Help! :(

Edit: Would it help if I bought one of those little pens to touch the screen with a bit more precision?
Post edited by Ykcirt on

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    In my opinion Baldur's Gate is not a phone game, i just play casual games with it. And even if i never tried i think it's too small 5.1"" for BG. A tablet would be the best
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Depends on the person, I guess.
    People with bad eyesight and glasses wearers would be more troubled with such tiny displays for instance. Me, a glasses wearer, I do possess an Sony Xperia Z Compact tablet with an 8" inch display. And even at that size it feels too small for playing Baldur's Gate on the go. I'm more comfortable on playing the title with a huge monitor.

Another factor of concern would be your intern phone memory, since BG:EE/BG2:EE/IWD:EE sadly won't install on your micro SD card.
  • YkcirtYkcirt Member Posts: 11
    Hm. I'll have to investigate how much memory it has.

As for the GUI, would it help if I bought one of those little pens to touch the screen with more precision?
    The phone has 8 GB available space. It doesn't seem to have a micro SD, but 8 GB surely sounds like enough for both BG1 and 2. Unless Enhanced Edition received some content upgrades I don't know about.. Baldur's Gate series should fit on a couple of old CDs.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    An 8 GB phone will not hold both BG1 and 2. You may install one of them and that will leave you with not a lot of room for media and other apps. Keep in mind that 8 GBs of memory end up as a little over 4 after Android is installed. The big problem here is how the newer versions of the OS handle apps.

On screen size: I've played it on a 5'' phone and indeed, things can get too small. Nowadays I play on a 7' tablet which is passable. I say go for it - you may end up buying a bigger phone/tablet in the future.

That's a good tip, thanks.

I understand that this game is quite moddable. Hasn't anyone come forward to make a more android/phone friendly interface?
    The PC version of Baldur's Gate EE is indeed quite moddable. Not so its portable versions. Modding on android, while not impossible, is rather tricky. You also need a computer for it to work. See [How to] Install mods on Android for more details on that matter.

As far as I know, no one has created a new Baldur's Gate EE GUI specificly for android tablets/phones. There are some which bring BG2:EE's GUI into BG:EE amonst others. My personal favourite is the Antique Brass GUI for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition created by @norilm. Then there's the new GUI which will come along the Siege of Dragonspear expansion pack for BG:EE, which could have some improvements for tablets/phones as well.
    Has anyone played BG:EE with a stylus pen? Does it get better on mobile phones?

The PC version of Baldur's Gate EE is indeed quite moddable. Not so its portable versions. Modding on android, while not impossible, is rather tricky. You also need a computer for it to work. See [How to] Install mods on Android for more details on that matter.

As far as I know, no one has created a new Baldur's Gate EE GUI specificly for android tablets/phones. There are some which bring BG2:EE's GUI into BG:EE amonst others. My personal favourite is the Antique Brass GUI for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition created by @norilm. Then there's the new GUI which will come along the Siege of Dragonspear expansion pack for BG:EE, which could have some improvements for tablets/phones as well.

Ah, I see. Do you know if the same GUI from Siege of Dragonspear might be re-released for the other Infinity Engine EE games?
    Side note, I got a micro SD card, so I can make some space for both BG games. Just looking into stylus pens and if they would improve gameplay at all.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 had a feature that would allow for extremely precise touch tracking, so you could use a small regular pen or even a fineliner. That would have been perfect for BG. Unfortunately I own the S5 'Neo' and for whatever reasons that feature doesn't seem to be present in the settings.

I'm going to ring up Samsung customer support about that first. Definitely need the extra resolution.
    Ykcirt said:

Ah, I see. Do you know if the same GUI from Siege of Dragonspear might be re-released for the other Infinity Engine EE games?

Not known at this point. Might be it will become available for basic BG:EE as well via patch.
    It's also worth noting that, if you also plan to purchase the upcoming SoD as well, you need at *least* 6,5 GB of free intern phone memory (2 GB for BG:EE, 2 GB for SoD and 2,5 GB for BG2:EE).
    That would depend on whether or not I can import characters. Thanks for the tip though.

Got off the phone with Samsung.Seems like the S5 Neo series have lost the high touch sensitivity feature for some reason, even though the hardware is the same. That limits what I can do with precise swipes with a smaller-tipped-than-stylus pen. They couldn't give me an explanation, but promised to send the request up the line a bit.

I doubt they'll end up putting the feature back. I could still play it with a regular stylus pen, but I don't know. Those just seems a little too big for BG:EE.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I think it will ruin the experience.
    edited February 2016
    Raduziel said:

Please, elaborate.
    Post edited by Ykcirt on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Ykcirt said:

Raduziel said:

Please, elaborate.
    Small screen. Wrong clicks. Stupid commands. Low details on screen. Lots of things will just pass by you. These may ruin all the fun.

Well, I'm a pretty stressed person. Maybe nothing of this would annoy you.
    I know the BG series pretty well, so I doubt much would pass by me. Wrong clicks do worry me, which is why I'm trying to play some free games with a stylus pen first.
    edited February 2016
    Well I have done that now and I can't say it's a solution that will work for me, personally. I guess there's nothing for it but to wait and see if a future release will have more optimized interface.
    Post edited by Ykcirt on