Skip to content

Playthrough NPC suggestions wanted

Currently Have:

Me, Inquisitor
Aerie
Nalia

Only done a few things (keep, about to do haer'dalis planes)

I think I'm looking for another heavy phys dmg dealer. I plan on getting Imoen and using Carsomyr for myself. Not sure how to gear out Imoen/Aerie/Nalia. They're basically just haste and summon bots right now. Looking for suggestions for the last 2 for a fun and rewarding playthrough. Was thinking Mazzy. Don't want to micromanage Valygar backstabs - would rather have full plate killing machines. Plan on picking up Serevok in TOB too.

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Korgan is the obvious choice, but he's evil which may not fit RP wise with your Paladin PC.

Otherwise Anomen works (if you can abide his personality) or Keldorn (though another Inquisitor may be overkill).

Mazzy is pretty great and will fit personality wise in a party led by a Paladin.

Other possibility is Minsc.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Korgan

Cernd (I know, lots of people will want my head because of this) as a Great Werewolf.

Mazzy

Anomen (mace of disruption and CF will get you through the toughest battles in game, except for dragons)

PS.: I don't like using Minsc as a tank. I always give him some studded leather and let him be my number one scout. If the sh*t hit the fan he can handle the situation until chivalry arrives. But yeah, he is a heavy hitter and will get the killing machine job done.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I assume that you are familiar with concepts like APR, AC and THACO, if you are not feel free to ask, they are very important.
    Anomen-- he dualed from fighter early so is not the better one, but as a cleric he has the spells to become a very good one. He have spells to boost strength, constitution and dexterity (his main problem) for better THACO damage and AC. Good tank, good damage dealer and clerical spells on top of it.
    Mazzi--very good fighter both ranged and mlee, need something to boost her strength, a mage spell do it and also items. You should have find a strength belt from a shopkeeper you find at the very beginning of chapter 2. Don't spend your money in armors and not named weapons that you will loot from enemies, use it for something like that belt.
    Korgan--best fighter but evil, you are a good paladin. His rage can be very useful.
    Keldorn--2 paladins in a party are a little too much. Or maybe not, if you where not an inquisitor, but you are.
    Minsk--can be a good fighter and tank, not the best but more then enough.
    Jaheira--imo she can be as good as fighter then the others, she can dual weld and deal some serious damage, use a shield and tank. And she have druid magic, very good summons, a spell that work like mage's stoneskin and powerful anti mage spells. She is my personal choice.

Imoen/Aerie/Nalia are much more than haste and summon.
    Mages are really powerful, even at low levels, when you have learned how to use their magic. And as you have 3 in the party you can do a lot of experimentation, try to not stick to the few spells on which you actually rely, is the best way to learn. Memorize and try some other each day, give each spell some try, sometimes you try only once, the spell in that situation was not so good and you discard it, only to discover much later that was a very good one....
    Aerie as multi level at half speed (that doesn't mean that when Nalia is lev 18 Aerie is lev 9, she will be 1 o 2 levels behind as there is not a linear relation between xp and level). But having also clerical magic is very strong, a lot of spells x day at the beginning and later.... you will discover yourself. She is also the only one that can go mlee and tank if needed. she use cleric THACO table (that cap at 6, mages one at 10, fighters one at 0), she has clerical spells to bost Thaco and damage on top of it and spells to protect herself.
  • steelchasersteelchaser Member Posts: 72
    I highly recommend getting the mod for Coran, he is an awesome character and entertains plus when he gets his use any weapon option he gets Carsomir. Also Neera is my favorite Mage. It may be wild magic but she gets 2 spells to start each spell level. Make certain you put the Robe of Vecna (sp) on her and you always get the first spell off. Absolutely invaluable. oops probable spoilers....
  • MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    I think Korgan and Aerie end up fighting which is a shame because Korgan is my personal favorite NPC and one of the best melee characters in the game.

If you are interested in how the NPCs banter with each other I know that both Minsc and especially Haer Dalis have special dialogue specifically with Aerie, although if you want to do a Romance with her then you might not want Haer Dalis (although he is a fun NPC to use once you figure him out, he's basically the best damage Tank in SoA and can also kill stuff in melee if you have him memorize the right spells).

Personally I'd add a cleric or a druid and Haer Dalis for utility, but that's how I like to put the part together.