Skip to content

How to import character from Bg EE to bg2 EE on steam

Hey there i'm using steam to play and i was wondering how i could import from BG EE to BG2 EE, i can't seem too find the character folder in the steam directory so any help is appreciated. Using window 8 and steam.

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited December 2013
    I don't have BG2EE yet (tomorrow I will buy it finally! but let's stay on topic...), however, for BGEE character folder is in Documents, not in installation folder, so I would guess it's the same for BG2EE.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2013
    I also have it from steam, but Win7. I would think the process would be similar, though. Took me a little while to figure it out at first, too.

As Shikao said, your saves for BG EE should be in a folder in Documents. After you install BG2 EE there will be folders there for both games. Copy the entire Final Save folder (in "save" in BG EE) and place it into the "save" folder in BG2 EE. If it's your first time, the "save" folder may not exist yet in the BG2 EE folder, so you'll have to make one.
    Post edited by Vakarian on
  • reshoggreshogg Member Posts: 4
    Yep found it thank you for your help guys
  • TopCatDKTopCatDK Member Posts: 4
    Isn't it standard to export the character from BG:EE, and then import directly into BG2:EE ??
  • TopCatDKTopCatDK Member Posts: 4
    And do you guys know if it's possible to export from the steam version of BG:EE to the NON-steam version of BG2:EE ??
    I'm asking because i wish to buy BG2:EE via the developers homepage directly, and not through steam..
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @TopCatDK

When you defeat BGEE, the game automatically makes a saved game with the exact details (in terms of stats, xp and equipment) for Charname. As far as I am aware, you cannot normally export a character directly after this because the game has ended. If u exported ur character before the final battle, then of course you will miss out on the xp reward at the end.

Thus the intended method for transferring from BG 1 to BG 2 is to copy the BG 1 endgame save files into the BG 2 Save folder, in order for BG 2 to pick up the file.

And yes, the saves are totally compatible between Steam and Beamdog. I have the exact same setup, BG EE on Steam, BG 2 EE on Beamdog. In fact, the BG EE endgame save can even be imported into BG 2 Vanilla perfectly fine, which is amazing given it's a game that's over a decade old. :)

elminster
  • Tarl_CabotTarl_Cabot Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. This is all very helpful except for 1 thing. I am playing these games on the iPad and don't have the foggiest how to go about finding saved games and transferring between folders
    RAM021
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403

Hi all. This is all very helpful except for 1 thing. I am playing these games on the iPad and don't have the foggiest how to go about finding saved games and transferring between folders

Taking a break from MWO Tarl? ;-)

Sorry I cannot help with the iPad - catch you in game!
  • PoopingRhino65PoopingRhino65 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    I have tried to do this, but when I move the "0000x -Final Save" folder and try to run it, BG2 EE says "We were unable to load the content for unknown. If you haven't purchased it yet, please do so from the store." Like both of you, I'm going from Steam BG1 to Beamdog BG2, if that's any help

EDIT: I just exported my char into a bg1 slot, then went into the "characters" folder, dragged out my char, and moved him into bg 2, this does work, but somehow my character's voice got switched with Aeire's, it's just been saying "Oh how I miss my wings" and all that rot. If this happens to you, simply switch your charname's voice in the customization tab (the one where you see your XP and proficiency and all that)
    Post edited by PoopingRhino65 on
  • Flame_ExcessFlame_Excess Member Posts: 26
    Ha! Same problem as above, though it only shows "purchase content" and "cancel". I'm going from Beamdog to Steam, though.