Skip to content

Multiplatform interrogation

fezvezfezvez Member Posts: 1
edited July 2012 in Android (Archive)
Hello,

I was, and still am, a major fan of the Baldur's Gate franchise.

I come here because I am quite intrigued by the business approach regarding the multiplatform approach. If I understand the FAQ correctly, I will have to pay for each platform :

"Q: If I buy BG:EE for one platform, do I have to buy it for the others?

A: Yes. It would be neat if we could offer the other platforms as included, but unfortunately that feature isn't in any of the major stores we'll be selling through."

I am afraid that I do not understand what is meant by that. What "major stores" do not offer such things? The Humble Bundle allowed me (twice) to buy games for Windows and Android. I admit not being an iPhone user, but I am pretty sure that there are free applications where you can unlock content if you have an activation code. You could just send an activation code for each platform, no?

I hope to be proved wrong (once again, the Appstore is not fully known to me), but please, tell me what are those restrictions.

---------------------------------

This leads me to my other point, which is my thoughts than a real question : if you do not offer this multiplatform "bundle", how will I know if I will prefer playing it on my Android tablet or on my Windows PC? It feels like a gamble to me to say that there will be an Android. I do play more on my Android tablet than I play on my PC now. So, should I not preorder and wait for both reviews? Or will the tablet prove to be not that great, and I will buy the game for PC a few months after September? Isn't it the opposite of a good business model to have potential customers ask themselves this question?

I think I must say that I am not hear to mindlessly bash the business model. I love the franchise, and I was genuinely hyped when BG:EE was announced. I am just torn between pre-ordering right now or waiting for the reviews when all the games will be out.

Comments

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2012
    @fezvez that's why iPad and Android versions are two times cheaper so you can test it. Humble Bundle isn't a store, it's more like event and BG isn't even an indie game. The contract goes to AppStore and Google Play, and these are the major stores, there's no denying that. As for offering the game via Beamdog - it's smaller than Steam or GOG, but the contract is stating that it would be Beamdog exclusive for some time. They made some nice moves though, they removed the client requirement and Trent said that they would like to make it redeemable on Steam (if it's released there later on), and I think it's very nice of them. Indie bundles aren't really an option this time.
    Also: "It will work if you save a game in a DLC area and load on a device that doesn't have DLC. We'd like to get paid, but, we don't break games".
  • SystemsSystems Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I agree, it would be nice to buy it for PC and then have it unlocked on tablet (as was the case with Portal 2 for PS3 for example - it unlocked the PC version, but then again they both use Steam so it's simple).

If the tablet versions really are half the price that's the best we're going to get though realistically. Hopefully there'll be a demo of the start town to see if it runs ok.

Ah, the FAQ answers our question:

Q: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition costs more than the iPad and Android versions! What are you tryin' to pull here, ya palooka?

A: The PC and Mac versions of BG:EE have all of the content that we've created for the game, along with all of the enhancements to the base game. The iPad and Android versions have some of the new content held back as in-app purchases. If you purchase all of the extra content on iPad and Android, the end price matches up to the PC and Mac versions.

So in fact the Android version costs exactly the same as the PC version once you've bought all the extra content, only you don't get the $2 pre-order discount as you can't preorder. I don't think I'll bother now and will get just PC version instead.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited July 2012
    @Systems unfortunately:
    Correct, due to contract structure and having the various stores involved, to play on PC, iPad and Mac would require three purchases.
    - Trent

Perhaps we will see some "Ultimate" edition which will includes all the platforms.
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    @Anton unlikely now, as the contract goes for separate stores.
  • lars_rosenberglars_rosenberg Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2012
    It would be easy to put a link to download the android apk in the pc/mac version.
    And maybe an online license verification after the installation against piracy since it's easy to share an apk (but it's easy anyway for android apps, even if they are downloaded from the play store)
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @lars_rosenberg Compare the following potential FAQ entries from the standpoint of the average consumer, if you will:

Q: How do the Android version of BGEE that came with my PC copy?
    A: [ensuing explanation of what an apk is, how to transfer it to your device, how to get it working, who to contact if you are having trouble, etc]

Q: How do I install the Android version of BGEE that I bought on Google Play?
    A: Tap "Install," and then "Accept."

Which would you prefer to support, assuming the average tablet user?
  • lars_rosenberglars_rosenberg Member Posts: 15

@lars_rosenberg Compare the following potential FAQ entries from the standpoint of the average consumer, if you will:

Q: How do the Android version of BGEE that came with my PC copy?
    A: [ensuing explanation of what an apk is, how to transfer it to your device, how to get it working, who to contact if you are having trouble, etc]

Q: How do I install the Android version of BGEE that I bought on Google Play?
    A: Tap "Install," and then "Accept."

Which would you prefer to support, assuming the average tablet user?

Humble Bundle did it and it worked. You can also add a simple video explanation.
    An alternative could be to release in the Play Store an app called "BGEE Installer" or something like that, which does it automatically for you. You only need a beamdog/overhaul account to do that, I don't think it's hard to set up.
    I think the reality is that it is more profitable to sell separated copies of the game on the different platforms. And it's fair, just don't tell us you can't do otherwise
  • CharlOCharlO Member Posts: 1
    Also, they could just as easily have both models implemented. If it's going to be too much of a hush to install the apk for someone, let him just buy it.

I really don't like the idea of paying twice for the same product. And since I have little time at home with my computer I'll have to use the tablet (Nexus 7 :-) version most. But it would be awesome to buy the Win version, and have it also on the Nex and keep going with my save when I'm away.