Skip to content

Why was SCS Irenicus in Hell removed?

AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
This was, for me, the hardest and most satisfying battle i ever had in the entire BG saga. Even wrote a thread about it back in the day http://forum.bioware.com/topic/243998-6-hours-to-kill-scs2-improved-irenicus-and-demons-on-insane/ Now i faced him again in EE and he is just trivial to dispose of. @DavidW, any plans to restore this once great encounter?

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited January 2016
    I hear you. My solo Dwarven Bounty Hunter Norgath trapped his way through that encounter in a no-reload run about a year ago. In hindsight it's one of my most memorable and glorious Baldur's Gate moments (even though I thought at the time that Irenicus could have done better).

Btw you can still get this battle, but you'd have to play classic BG2 (or BGT) with SCS v21.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Mad props for doing that on a solo no-reload! Absolute sickness. Yeah, boggles the mind why David would take, what is arguably the best encounter from SCS, out of the list. Perhaps it has something to do with Tactics being the original creator of the first half of that fight. Nevertheless, would love to have it back in EE. Finishing a no-reload run without killing Uber Jon feels cheap, like going to a hooker and then bragging to my mates i got laid that night.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    There's this snippet from the readme: "I coded it as a favour to someone ages ago, but I don't really feel its flavour meshes with SCS. Squeal if you want it reinstated." so it's not out of the question to see it return. My only issue with that fight is that it's the only fight I can think of where it's literally impossible to backtrack and prepare if you're not capable of winning it with the resources at hand. Then again, it's not a necessary component so those who like it should still have the option.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Weimer's Tactics mod has a similar version of that battle.

Musiginy is in the process of porting that mod to BG2:EE, but the conversion for the Irenicus in Hell component is still experimental.
    (If you want it to be finished faster, go to that thread and provide feedback / volunteer for alpha-testing!)
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    The original version was enabled in Tactics for EE about two weeks ago.
    Feedback is welcome.