Skip to content

F/C vs berserker

d00der82d00der82 Member Posts: 21
Hello everyone. I know I have made a lot of these topics but I am trying to cure restartitous and come up with the perfect trilogy run character.

F/M multi was my first consideration but they take way too long to shine imho.

So while I don't want to default to the incredibly powerful throughout, berserker, I would like to discuss the f/c multi. I want a char thay can be powerful throughput the saga. My only concern is that the f/c will be too weak during much of bg2.

If I ram a f/c I would choose the Canon party in bg1 and jaheira would be my only other divine caster in bg2. How does this stack up with the berserker? Does it require as much meta gaming as the f/m to be powerful? Does the power drop off considerably in bg2?

I don't want to dual so please take that into consideration.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only real issue of multi-class characters in bg2 is that your HP will be a little less, some of my favourite runs were a berserker half-orc wielding a two handed sword from the beginning all the way to the end of ToB, very very powerful character, and that character fits in with the canon team no sweat,

now on the flip side, if you make a fighter cleric, you are still going to kick some serious butt, again half-orcs make a great candidate for this ( if you are into the power gaming) that 19 str/con is a great boost for low level characters, making you pretty awesome right out of the gate, the only real drawback you will have in bg1 is that you can only use crushing weapons, but coincidentally the stupifier is a great weapon and can be found early

plus for bg1, the fact that you will have cleric spells will match up great with jaheira, lots of healing, you will have great buff spells she will have great summon spells, while dynaheir works on the offensive

now when it comes to bg2, your fighter cleric will still hold up pretty good, especially with draw upon holy might and righteous magic, and unlike fighter mages, they don't need to cast constant spells every battle to be ready to rock, since you can wear full plate mail and use shields you can have some pretty killer AC, and again just with draw upon holy might and righteous magic, you will have some serious hitting power and get a nice little HP gain

now depending on if you like the whole romance thing or not, what race you are is going to depend on what you are going to be able to romance in SoA, im not to sure about the EE npcs, but im pretty sure that dwarves and half-orcs will not be able to romance the other 4 remaining characters in SoA ( except for maybe a high CHA half orc for jaheira) now based on that im not 100% sure if this is all concrete true ( since it has been ages since I've had a romance in bg2) but that could be something to check into, because also half-orcs and dwarves make the best fighter clerics ( half-orcs for stats and dwarves for AMAZING saves and good HP) but its up to you on that one

in the end bringing a fighter cleric throughout the whole saga should be just as easy as bringing a berserker through the whole saga, when it comes to meta gaming they are no where near as tedious as F/M and blades and the such, a lot of battles you will not need to buff the hell out of them to make them useful, and even with that being said, you will probably hit around 180 HP which isn't too bad for a melee guy in ToB( depending on what choices you make and what gear you give him)

again the only thing you really are going to miss out on is weapon choices, but in my opinion in bg2 use defender of easthaven, great bonuses and will really help your guy tank hard

then in ToB I would switch it up to the runehammmer ( although crom fayer gives 25 STR you will either already have close to that anyway or easily be able to do it with DuHM so why waste good abilities like that?) some nice things that the runehammer gives is permanent level drain immunity ( very VERY useful of coarse) and its an undead bane, which there are still quite a bit of those undead beasties around so its very useful for those lich battles as well
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Half Orcs get Viconia as a romance option I believe, not Jaheira
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Which means play a Gnome fighter/cleric
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Admittedly, I've never played a Berserker in all of these years; however, I would imagine that the F/C would be more powerful by a wide margin. He would have a slightly worse THAC0 and lower HP, but there are plenty of spells that can be used to overcome and exceed the discrepancy. The cleric has around four spells that directly boost Strength and/or THAC0 (unfortunately, two of them set Strength to a set amount, so always cast DUHM after the others), including some extra benefits such as inflicting max damage.

I was playing around with a 16 Str, 18 Dex (with gauntlets...), 16 Con Priest of Lathander and could buff up to 25 Str, 24 Dex, 24 Con. It would be ridiculous with Fighter THAC0, APR, and HP thrown into the mix.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I think they are pretty even. Berserkers get the Berserk ability (notably immunities to lot of disabling effects) and Great Mastery in a weapon of your choice (lower THACO, more attacks) and more HP

F/C gets less martial prowess, limited weapon options and less HP, but makes up for it with self-healing and buffing spells.

I'd choose half-orc in both instances and just go for whatever you feel like playing for more. (A "powerful warrior" or a "combat priest")
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I'm doing a dwarven defender/cleric run now with Imoen dualed to Mage. All bases covered.

Dual-wielding Stupifier and Ashideena while Imoen rocks the Boomerang dagger.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    bleusteel said:

I'm doing a dwarven defender/cleric run now with Imoen dualed to Mage. All bases covered.

Dual-wielding Stupifier and Ashideena while Imoen rocks the Boomerang dagger.

you cant be a kited dwarf multiclass until smashing EEkeeper , what i consider cheating but hey its your game.

Consider a Human Dual , even if you go as low as taking a lvl 2 Fighter and then Going cleric it opens up weapon Mastery and 1/2 extraattack/3pip dualwield with basically no downtime at all and cleric already has the second best hit Progression.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    A dwarven defender with armor of faith? By ToB you'll have 20% resistance from being a dwarven defender, 20% from defender of easthaven, and 25% from armor of faith. 65% damage resistance for every fight (given how many lvl 1 spells you'll have). For fights that might prove somewhat dangerous, drop defensive stance for 100% damage resistance to all physical damage. With the girdle of intertial barrier, he'd be rocking a 90% resistance to missile damage when he has to charge towards bow armed enemies.

So let's see...how to make this tank even better?

Gorgon Plate: Good AC, 15% fire and acid resistance
    Ring of Fire Control: 50% fire resistance
    Ring of Gax: 10% Magic Resistance, Immune to disease, immune to poison, +2 saves, HP regeneration
    Girdle of Interial Barrier: +5 save vs breath, +25% res. to missile damage, +50% res. to magic damage
    Helm of the Rock: +25% resistance to fire, cold, acid, poison, and electricity
    Boots of Grounding: 50% electricity resistance
    Darksteel Shield: +10% resistance to fire, cold, acid, and poison
    Cloak of Mirroring: Relfects all spell damage back to the source
    Amulet of Power: +5% magic res., Vocalize, -1 Spell casting speed, immune to level drain
    Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization (why not?)

Put this all together?

Immune to Poison
    Immune to Disease
    Immune to level drain
    Immune to Spell Damage (reflects back)
    100% DR to physical damage
    100% DR to fire attacks
    50% DR to magic attacks (even though it is reflected back...)
    35% DR to cold attacks
    30% Magic Resistance
    Insane bonuses to resist spells. Between being a dwarf (the best race there is), defensive stance...and all of the immunities that clerics can give themselves...

And this is before any spells besides armor of faith (a lvl 1 spell) is cast.

Throw in draw upon holy might, chaotic commands, true seeing, blade barrier, physical mirror, fire storm (100% fire resistance, right?), shield of the archons, etc...well...it'd probably be easier to solo with this character than to bring a party.

@Grum my thoughts exactly. Too bad it's cheating :-)

After playing these games for nearly two decades, it's fun to experiment with builds outside of those allowed by the programs themselves. Thank heaven for EEKeeper.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    bleusteel said:

Imoen rocks the Boomerang dagger.

where can I find one of those?
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2016
    Lateralus said:

bleusteel said:

+2 boomerang dagger is in AMN bridge quarter , the INN 1st floor , the adventurer group drops it.
    the +3 one with fire dmg is buyable in UST nashar (the drow city probably botched the name)

also nice to know this daggers have 2 basic attacks and instead of 1d4 they have 2d4 dmg (you can use them in melee with single handed combat and get the 19 crit and 2 AC and with a shield in melee or ranged mode. but not dual wield.
    edited March 2016
    Lateralus said:

bleusteel said:

It's available in BG1
    as a reward in Kivan's quest as part of the BGNPC mod

• d00der82d00der82 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2016
    Thank you all for the input. I have started my playthrough and am level 3/3 currently with:

Me
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Imoen

With imoen dualed early to mage after maxing find traps, I am having a blast with 2 arcane casters and 2 divine casters as well as 3 1/2 potential front liners.

Thank you for helping me avoid my usual single class fighter or paladin kit runthrough.