Skip to content

Help with Spell Editing

I've been trying to find the animations for certain spells using DLTCEP with no success. For example, I can see that under fireshield blue (SPWI403) that there are some graphical 3D effects resourcing to BAM files but for others such as spell deflection (SPWI618) I can't seem to locate where it is resourcing the animation that it uses in game (three swirling orbs around the caster). What I'd like to do is have some spells use different animations.

Also, which files should be edited if I want to make changes to a spell? There are multiple files for just about every spell.

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Spell Deflection uses opcode 141 (lighting effects) to call the shwater BAM, which I believe is the animation you're looking for. More info at the IESDP.
  • WanderingScholarWanderingScholar Member Posts: 17
    CamDawg said:

Spell Deflection uses opcode 141 (lighting effects) to call the shwater BAM, which I believe is the animation you're looking for. More info at the IESDP.

In game Spell Deflection seems to use the "SPMAGGLO.bam". But this animation doesn't seem to be referenced anywhere in the spell file "SPWI618" (at least not under "Extended Effects"). Is there something I'm missing?
    It appears to be the same way with Spell Turning as well (SPWI701). I can't understand how the spell file is using the animation (glowing disc at caster's feet) when it doesn't appear anywhere under "Extended Effects". Only "Glow RGB (Brief)" and "Lighting Effects" are there. Somehow it should be connected to this animation "SPTURNI2.bam". Anyone have the answer?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Right, a handful of opcodes do have hardcoded animations; I had totally forgotten about spell deflection and spell turning. Tweaks sorta un-hardcodes these by overwriting spmagglo, spturni and spturni2 with blank BAMs which is really the only way to decouple these.
    Well that's unfortunate.. I suppose if I wanted to I could still add a 3D effect to the spell to be used alongside the hardcoded animation. Thanks anyways