Skip to content

Area appears explored

Hello guys!

I'm having some trouble with an area. Some time ago on my previous game, the area 0406, Copper Coronet, became corrupted. I fixed it with Near Infinity, extracting and then deleting the area. Then after awhile I added some merchants, and in general messed things up a bit. When I finished the game, I uninstalled it, but kept the contents of the override folder, only the ones with the most recent date modified, assuming those were the merchants I added, plus some items I changed a little.

Now I decided to play again, did a clean full install, and copied the override files I had kept. There were many ARE**** files, probably from the time I extracted them when I was fixing the area, but I only kept the ones related to ARE9496. Well, now the first time I enter the Copper Coronet, it appears explored, Lethinan won't talk to me, the guards are dead and the doors are open. I closed the game, went to the override folder and deleted all ARE0406 files, even the bonus merchant, but the problem persists. Even scanned the whole computer for any file containing 0406, but nothing. It is as if the state of the area was stored in any of the compressed BIF files, but how can that be if I did a new install and started a new game?

Any help will be enormously appreciated. BTW I don't know if this should be in the BG II EE forum, as I'm playing the original with ToB, not the enhanced dition.

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    The current state of an area file is stored in the saved game itself. If you want to reset the map you should make sure that you have removed the faulty area file from the override folder.

If you have a save from before entering the tavern for the first time then use it. Otherwise, open your saved game in Near Infinity, select BALDUR.SAV, decompress it and remove the area from the list. Don't forget to compress the BALDUR.SAV again to apply the changes.
  • MachiavelloMachiavello Member Posts: 10
    Thanx! I had removed the areas from the override folder, but it didn't occur to me that the problem would be on the save game. Silly me, I had a simmilar problem before where the saved game was to blame, but I didn't think it would be the same this time.

At least now I had a previos save from 2 hours earlier, so I didn't have to mess with Near Infinity. And now it is fixed. Thanx again.