Skip to content

Playing Icewind Dale EE for the first time

PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
Hello everyone, I'm new to this subsection of the forums. I played BG and BG2 for many years, but I never got very far in the original IWD. I want to give the EE version a try. I'm curious though on a few things:

1. I don't want to go nuts with mods in the beginning, but are there any that you consider essential? Maybe quality of life improvements, tactical improvements and the like. I want to experience IWD EE relatively untouched at first, but I know there might still be a few things worth adding right off the bat.

2. What is this HoF mode I hear people talking about? I'm guessing it's not something for the inexperienced.

3. Does EE Keeper work for IWD EE? I seem to recall the original game had a different editor than Shadowkeeper.

4. I forgot to ask, what is the typical level cap for this game? In BG1 I think the highest level you could get is like a level 10 Druid, without an XP cap remover. Are my guys going to be low level like that? Or is it closer to BG2, starting with a few levels and advancing to 20-30+?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2016
    1. The game is pretty much complete even without any mods. But it probably wouldn't hurt to install some of the BG2 Tweaks components or try out the new Tweaks Anthology.

2. HoF mode increases the difficulty rate of the game way beyond "Insane". It also gives a lot more XP if you actually manage to beat the mob.

3. EE Keeper should work with all Enhanced Edition games, including IWD:EE.

4. You start at level 1 and can probably reach level 30 or higher, depending on party size and difficulty level.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Thanks so much @argent77!
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    I'm playing with kits mod :
    Might and guile, frosty journey and divine remix.

With these kits i managed too play theme race party.
    exemple : half orcs only, theme : rage.