Skip to content

Switching from BG and IWD to tabletop.

I have played both those games (finished Baldur's Gate and halfway through IWD). How hard do you think it'd be for me to switch to playing tabletop AD&D (2nd/3rd Editions)? I do realise the games don't cover everything, I still need to read a lot about the rules and get used to it, but just out of curiosity...

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I would think you'd have an advantage by already having a pretty good understanding of the rules system - stuff like AC, rolling to hit, character classes, and what spells do.

A lot will depend on what kind of group you join. If you're trying to found a group yourself and get other people interested in playing, that might be kind of challenging. On the other hand, if you know people who already have a group going, they will help you learn the ropes for their own group. Most tabletop players enjoy new additions to their groups, and love explaining things and giving advice.

You may have to learn completely different rules depending on what edition is being used. BG and IWD use 2nd edition rules, which are pretty old. (There are new editions 3-5, each with their own set of source books and supplements, and various settings within each edition.)

Also, learning about the social element of playing tabletop should be interesting for you. Each individual group develops their own ettiquette about how to play. Some of them say stuff like "My character does such and such..." or "My character says she thinks we should do this..", while others get really into the roleplaying possibilities and actually try to speak as their characters.

Hopefully you have a good, experienced dungeon master running the group, because that's the key element of everyone at a D&D playing session having fun. The dungeon master takes on the responsibility of providing a fun and rewarding story-making and roleplaying experience for everyone at the session.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    The challenging part will be finding a group to play with and to commit to playing to what the schedule is. eg. Playing every week. If you can't commit to spending a few hours playing with a group every week, then you will be wasting your and the groups time.

As easy as it sounds, there are people who think it's easy to just turn up and play but find it's too hard to commit every week for at least a few months or even up to a year depending on how long the story unfolds. The longest campaign(s) I played was starting at level 3 and got up to level 16 which took nearly two years (Apr 2011 - Nov 2012). Our DM decided he wanted to take a break as he was burning out from D&D and try something different (W40K). Part of me would still like to get my character up to Epic Tier and I would drop everything in a heart beat to go back to D&D.

Once you're in the door, the rest is easy.