Skip to content

Legacy of Baal ?

DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
is this mode even enjoy-/do-able for a Normal Level 1 CHARNAME ?

started it , needed 10 ingame hours just to kill the rats in Candlekeep , every kobold one shots my slowly growing party, mini combat events seem to be impossible (recruiting vic with a 5 man lvl 1 party , good luck that soldier wrecks them all) mages suddenly have like 5 apr crushing your party with their walking stick... its somewhat frustrating to get going.

on the bright side i never took the time to walk into every house of bergeost to get the lockpick xp ...that was a blast.

Comments

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Well it was originally not intended to be used with level 1 chars when introduced to Icewind dale back then but to recycle well developed chars in a second game. Doing this with level 1 may be seen as sport challenge, but it's particularly hard as you are alone in candle keep, not a party of 6
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

Well it was originally not intended to be used with level 1 chars when introduced to Icewind dale back then but to recycle well developed chars in a second game. Doing this with level 1 may be seen as sport challenge, but it's particularly hard as you are alone in candle keep, not a party of 6

came to the conclusion its impossible to gain levels if you need 6 man to kill a Kobold and then have to rest cause you run out of everything.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited March 2016
    It's the hardest mode you can have without mods: if you can't enjoy it, then don't use it ;)

Yes, there are people able to do it.
    Still prefer SCS mod in insane difficulty setting (non-LegacyOfBhaal), if i want a challenge.
    Having opponents somewhat equal to my party, but with the change that they use their spells, abilities and equipment far smarter in combat than vanilla feels more like a good duel.
    If i misuse Heart-of-Winter- / Legacy-of-Bhaal-Mode with a low level party, the opponents are just far higher level than my party is when i meet them ... can be done with experience, tactics and patience, but is no fun to me.

Still prefer SCS mod in insane difficulty setting (non-LegacyOfBhaal), if i want a challenge.
    Having opponents somewhat equal to my party, but with the change that they use their spells, abilities and equipment far smarter in combat than vanilla feels more like a good duel.
    If i misuse Heart-of-Winter- / Legacy-of-Bhaal-Mode with a low level party, the opponents are just far higher level than my party is when i meet them ... can be done with experience, tactics and patience, but is no fun to me.

there is nothing about tactic and experience if a 6 man party of level 2's walks into 3 Basic Kobolds , your Main character gets instantly Sniped and one shoot , and the other 5 die before the Death Screen comes in.

Sleep/Charms/Blind all gets resisted and that 5 dmg magic missile is a joke on a 100HP+ Kobold

this mode is not doable with your run of the mill LVL1 CHARNAME and the BG NPCS ..i know this now and will treat it like that.

this mode is not doable with your run of the mill LVL1 CHARNAME and the BG NPCS ..i know this now and will treat it like that.

It is and even in solo...

calling nonsense , lvl 2 Swashbuckler 0 RK 16HP , one or two hits by every enemy , while needing 15+ hits to kill the lowest of Kobold for 7XP by 1APR , don't forget sleep wands do not work, even if you spend all points into sneak and run around the world abusing easy getable quests to level to what ..3-4 ? your still fodder.

if you make a youtube lets play showing me how you solo LoB mode with a Single lvl1 Character freshly created from start to finish unmodded and every bloody fight there is, then i will climb the heavens and Kick "Ao" out myself and to make room for you.

Until then i see this as Empty boosting trying to make me mad.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I can't speak for the BG version but people have soloed IWD in HoF. Granted you get the extra xp in IWD, but it shouldn't be too different. Hold spells and web were particularly of interest for me in a duo run we did. And lots of running away and resting. It's cheesy but doable. Chromatic orb was amazing but I can't remember if it functions the same in BG.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320

Yeah, I started a solo run with a half-orc kensai. Made it out of candlekeep, went and killed Shoal. Made for a much easier start.

if you make a youtube lets play showing me how you solo LoB mode with a Single lvl1 Character freshly created from start to finish unmodded and every bloody fight there is, then i will climb the heavens and Kick "Ao" out myself and to make room for you.

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend already, meanwhile you can start to prepare yourself by doing some jogging: it's a long way to Mount Celestia.
    illathid said:

Yeah, I started a solo run with a half-orc kensai. Made it out of candlekeep, went and killed Shoal. Made for a much easier start.
    Yes, it's about things like this to increase asap your level. There are even more op tricks :)
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    It's definitely doable. Increasing enemies HP doesn't really increase the difficulty but makes fights longer.
    hehe, so much cheese, but that's what it needs for this ...
    i appreciate the Effort and resend my statement that it is "Not doable" i also admit i was very enraged writing this thread since that *INHALE* !&#*$! of a Flaming fist officer wanting to kill vici MURDERED me for an Hour ! and the short smug "People do it solo !" did not lighten my mood :I

but i stay with "there is nothing about tactic and experience" that's just plain cheese ! and it wasn't every Possible fight there is ....but i see if you just trap/zone-switch-cheese them all there is no point in showing them, so for that i don't go to AO in person but i send a Vacation Order , lets see if he responds :)

also i didn't know that you can slaughter elminster for 26k xp that's good to know.

hehe, so much cheese, but that's what it needs for this ...

Only thing left to do here is to do it Bumbur (The Hobbit) style and eat them by the Wheel
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If it helps, I still don't solo the game even on Normal.
    edited March 2016
    Dee said:

If it helps, I still don't solo the game even on Normal.

Normal-Insane was never a Problem for me , you can Duel with most Monsters and come out a Winner. but the Combination out of way too much HP (the *3 would be okay but +80 flat is broken) with the extra APR and extra THAC0 and saves cuts away way too much choice... like sleep,blind , almost all low spells just plain out fail or don't work anymore removing Tactical choices and just make it a Cheese chore ,

tackled the achievement as what it is , silly , thrown 4 max level Rangers with shortbows at it, a Fighter/cleric halforc with sling and heals and a Thief6/Mage for haste and 10meter invisibility , just steamrolled through running past everything aside the enemy's i HAD to kill. no sidequests no extras just the bare minimum.
    Post edited by DevardKrown on
    As it was stated before, this mode never was designed to be played with new chars and be fun. In Icewind dale back then it was created to revive loved but far too strong characters for a second round to play.
    This of course makes much less sense to me in baldurs gate to me...
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Hudzy consider how much longer it takes to get from 1st to 2nd level in Balder's Gate, especially when you do not get the extra XP of IWD HoF, and especially if you do NOT solo. In one sense, you want the party of 6 for cannon-fodder, and extra folks pitching damage right from the start. OTOH, you really want the perks of solo play boosting the xp and levels as fast as possible.

The hardest part of the game is essentially the struggle from 1st to 2nd, and the struggle from 2nd to 3rd is not much better if you are still liable to be one-shotted by many of the foes. At 3rd, you get start to get 2nd level spells, your thief skills are becoming reliable, your fighters have a decent number of hit points and potentially a 3rd pip in their favorite weapon, and so the game starts to become fun as you have options, rather than worrying about dying at every turn.

That part of the game is what is being insanely extended by the LoB mode - and I agree that it does not sound fun without the xp bonus. It sounds more interesting if played as a second play through, where the xp bonus is much less relevant (likely the main char has already maxed xp).

The other thing with HoF mode, of course, is that the xp/level cap of IWD is so much higher than BG, so you can continue leveling to meet the challenge head-on. Not so in BG, and I don't think anyone is going to consider changing that (for all there are players who disable the xp cap, even for regular play).
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    BTW, anyone tried Legacy of Bhaal from a new-char in SoA or ToB yet?
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    Cant' wait to play it in SoA ToB but for some reason my beta access through beamdog doesn't work so I'll just have to wait a few more days.

I realize the extra xp vs no extra xp is a bit of a polarizing subject. Although I am firmly on the side of "no extra xp" I must admit the first game would be a lot more difficult, perhaps to absurd levels - but I am confident that SoA and ToB will be really great without the experience that basically ruined nightmare modes difficulty.

For those that prefer not to have the extra difficulty, they can always play the other settings. The intention of nightmare or LoB as I understand it wis to be a very difficult game mode, and the added experience definitely removed that intended difficulty by overleveling your party in the first couple hours of play.

For what it is worth, it is a lot easier to add a bit of experience to your party if you feel you aren't being compensated properly, than it is for me to remove xp or levels from my party.

------------------------------

When I first started playing Nightmare I loved the extra experience it provided and got to watch my party get really strong at a really fast pace. I had iron skins on my ranger cleric by the time i was done with the slavers and even HLAs were popping up very early on in SOA. At some point I realized the mode I was playing was in many ways easier than the normal "insane" difficulty setting simply due to the extraordinary amount of experience available. The enemies were certainly tougher but because I was encountering them with so many more levels, my saves/hitpoints/thaco and spells were so much better that it negated the difficulty setting and then some.

If the point of LoB or Nightmare was to create a more perilous and challenging environment to play in, introducing extra experience seems to contradict that intention quite clearly. This doesn't mean that a second look should be taken at perhaps BG1 if the LoB setup is too extreme, but it does mean that I agree with the developers choice to "fix" what I consider an unintentional bug in their initial implementation of nightmare mode.