Skip to content

Best roll ever

Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
I've been rolling rolling rolling, stumbled on 86 and thought that roll should be good enough, then i thought to roll some more and out of the nowhere - 99 for a group leader barbarian.

best%20roll%20ever_zpsizkx9ouv.png

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2016
    I have learned that, as with anything else in life, you get out of roleplaying what you put into it. I take my roleplaying very seriously, and if you take the time, you can really have an awesome, awesome party. Your Barbarian is awesome, but why stop there? Take the time to roll up an entire party of demigods! That's what Icewind Dale is all about.

I recently spent 17 hours creating a party - they are complete with backstories that explain what they are doing in Icewind Dale and how they came to meet one another.

Party leader, Lawful Evil Human, Ignis Draconi (pronounced Dru-cone-ee, which is the dative form of the latin "Dragon" [to be endowed]. And of course Ignis is latin for fire). He will gain a point of con innately to bring it up to 16 and the 18 int, wisdom and charisma will help with the wish spell and being the party diplomat:

Ignis_zpsard1beir.png

Lawful Neutral Dwarf, O'Argg Bloodbeard (I wash me beard in your blood):

Bloodbeard_zpsl5mvaksd.png

Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Durgaz Maugoth:

Durgaz_zpsqniqt0xq.png

Chaotic Good Half Elf, Finrod Stormwind:

Finrod_zpsnjukd03e.png

Chaotic Good Elf, Faeori Elvenshot (pronounced Fay-ore-ee):

Faeori_zpsjdijf8dw.png

Chaotic Neutral Gnome, Shorti Spellslinger:

Shorti_zpsenueao70.png
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    Seems you rolled 99 for your group leader as well. What an awesome portrait - i recognize that it was made from Resident Evil Chris Redfield face!

Advice for your party - if would lower the charisma for your dwarf, half-orc and archer to the bottom, and instead raise wisdom to the maximum - you will get benefit in saving throws instead of useless leadership skills for your melee fighters. It's enough that your leader has high charisma.

I would raise the charisma for your cleric to max and drop dexterity to 10 - you will benefit from heavy armor with zero dexterity and gain important roll bonuses on turning undead with high charisma.

Your thief/illusionist character is amazing - is that another 99?
    edited March 2016
    Artas1984 wrote: »
    Seems you rolled 99 for your group leader as well. What an awesome portrait - i recognize that it was made from Resident Evil Chris Redfield face!

Advice for your party - if would lower the charisma for your dwarf, half-orc and archer to the bottom, and instead raise wisdom to the maximum - you will get benefit in saving throws instead of useless leadership skills for your melee fighters. It's enough that your leader has high charisma.

I would raise the charisma for your cleric to max and drop dexterity to 10 - you will benefit from heavy armor with zero dexterity and gain important roll bonuses on turning undead with high charisma.

Your thief/illusionist character is amazing - is that another 99?

I have this stigma about lowering any attribute below 10, so even if it hurts me I'd rather not do it. I could've benefited from another point of wisdom on my ranger/cleric, for example, but didn't want to lower intelligence to 9 (even though as long as you don't go lower than 9 it only affects lore) or charisma below 10.

I did go with 18 con on the gnome (99 roll) solely for the shorty throw, but I was under the impression that saving throw bonuses for wisdom weren't implemented in the infinity engine games. And I thought Clerics only benefit from charisma in 3rd edition, as well as the dex bonus/heavy armor thing only applying in 3rd edition. Am I mistaken?

I had no idea that it was Chris Redfield's face. I checked it out and I think you're right. Crazy!
    edited March 2016
    It seems i might have been under the wrong impression about D&D ruleset. IWD is a very fun game, but the second edition rules are pure garbage. I've been speculating the benefits of primary skills based on NWN, and it seems nothing applies were. I just can not believe that the makers of Enhanced Edition did not remake IWD based on 3.5 ruleset- what a waste....
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Stormvessel where did you find those portraits? Also you were correct, those bonuses do not exist in this game. They came about in later rulesets unfortunately.
    edited March 2016
    Pteran wrote: »
    @Stormvessel where did you find those portraits? Also you were correct, those bonuses do not exist in this game. They came about in later rulesets unfortunately.

Google images. The trick is to do an image search only for images that are 210x330 (portrait size for all three EE games). Then just type a key word into the search box (like mage, fighter, female elf, etc) and oodles of portraits will appear. Sometimes you will be lucky and the image already saves as a bmp. But if not - just download the image and use an online BMP converter. Then just drop it into the portraits folder.
    Didn't mean to hijack your thread bro - that is an incredible roll on the Barbarian. One of the best I've ever seen, in fact. The thing that's so impressive is that not only is it a roll of 99 on a fighter type but the strength roll is above 90. That's super.
    So indeed i find many nice google images, and i edit them first in Photoshop, then convert to BMP with Irfanview. My barbarian is an image that i used in my Neverwinter Nights 2 playthrough before.
    edited March 2016
    Best%20Paladin%20Ever_zpsiwcjebeh.png

101 roll on my Pally w/ 00 Strength.

Twelve hours of running the autoroller. Such a roll is probably one in a million, and because the autoroller rolls slightly more than ten rolls a second, were looking at just about fifty thousand rolls in twelve hour period, therefore the chances of me rolling this was a little worse than one in twenty at best. But I got lucky and I got the 101 w/ 00.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    99 for a Fighter is more impressive than 101 on a Paladin tough.

(Because the the Infinity Engine skips rolls that don't satisfy the minimu requirements of the class, and Paladin have high minimum stat requirements.)

Not to mention that using the auto-roller is cheating - one might as well use the CTRL+8 cheat key then... ;)
    edited March 2016
    ineth wrote: »
    99 for a Fighter is more impressive than 101 on a Paladin tough.

(Because the the Infinity Engine skips rolls that don't satisfy the minimu requirements of the class, and Paladin have high minimum stat requirements.)

Not to mention that using the auto-roller is cheating - one might as well use the CTRL+8 cheat key then... ;)

I disagree that the autoroller is cheating. It's not cheating at all, actually. You are taking the roll the game gives you. You aren't manipulating anything - you are just using a program to roll for you. Control +8 is cheating because you aren't taking what the game gives you. The autoroller is more about saving time then manipulating the game. You are still playing by the rules with the autoroller.

There is a reason the autoroller exists. It's because people want awesome characters without cheating via save editors or ctrl+8. If it was cheating then it would be redundant. Why do it when you can just hack the save or use CTRL+8?

The autoroller is cheap - but not cheating.

Also, I never actually said my roll was more impressive than his roll, because I'd be wrong. I agree with you that Paladins are easy to get high stats with (though one with /00 makes it harder). Plain fighters are probably the hardest.
    Post edited by Stormvessel on
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Stormvessel I understand that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some people feel uncomfortable using EEKeeper or Ctrl+8, and consider it cheating. But spending 12 hours on an auto-roller just seems like a waste of my time lol.

It's cool in theory, because technically those stats were rolled for. But it still seems like I'd be better off just editing the stats myself.

Does your roller just keep going until it hits 18/00? That would certainly explain why it takes so long to get your rolls. You could have perfect stats across the board and an 18/05, and it would ditch the roll.
    edited March 2016
    Pteran wrote: »
    @Stormvessel I understand that it's all in the eye of the beholder. Some people feel uncomfortable using EEKeeper or Ctrl+8, and consider it cheating. But spending 12 hours on an auto-roller just seems like a waste of my time lol.

It's cool in theory, because technically those stats were rolled for. But it still seems like I'd be better off just editing the stats myself.

Does your roller just keep going until it hits 18/00? That would certainly explain why it takes so long to get your rolls. You could have perfect stats across the board and an 18/05, and it would ditch the roll.

You can set a value for exceptional strength and how many points it would be worth. Like for instance, a /00 exceptional strength is worth 2 points, and a /91 exceptional strength is worth 1 point. So if you roll an 89 with /00 strength, only a 92 (or 91 with /91) will overwrite it. If you roll a 95 with /91, only a 97 will overwrite it (or 96 with /00). Or you can set it to disregard any roll with an exceptional strength less than /00. But it will take a long time and even after several hours you'll be lucky to have a roll of 95.

I consider the autoroller to be incredibly cheap. But in order for me to consider something "cheating" it would have to break the rules or manipulate/alter something. With the autoroller you are still taking exactly what the game gives you. It's a time saver.

For me, I just don't feel right about using CTRL8 or a save game editor. I will use the save game editor for some things (for instance to give me the priest ring and symbol if I forget to loot Mulahey), but never to fundamentally alter my character's stats because those are the stats the game itself gave me.