Skip to content

Ring of Free Action

SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
Can we make Ring of Free Action works like in IWD:EE. I mean can the character still be hasted by spell or boots when wearing the ring. Now when you wear the ring you can't be hasted.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like the idea, but it's a little outside the scope of what we can look at for the v2.0 update at this point.

That being said, it's a clear and specific idea, which means it would be a prime candidate for a Redmine ticket. Just set the tracker type to Feature.

Good feedback!
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    There's this otherwise. Just found out about it so never tried it but it should work (like Miloch's Free Action mod did pre-EE).
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Hmm... I put the boots of speed on my character who uses spiderbane and he was getting the speed increase. Haven't tested with the ring though. 
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Doesn't work with the ring, Spider bane doesn't give Free Action, it only protects against a few effects.
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    This is a long standing point of frustration for many players.  Free Action should not prevent positive movement enhancing buffs.  Even if you could find a way to justify the penalty - it doesn't work in the context of this game which is why so many mods fix it.  I'm glad Dee liked the idea and I really hope after 2.0 we can see a bit of game fixing in these terms.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd argue that the consistency of the effect leads to inconsistency in how it influences gameplay. In general, free action is good in BG1, where slow and paralysis are common and saves are bad, and it's actively detrimental in BG2, where saves are better and Improved Haste dominates the combat game. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on one's point of view, and I don't mean to take a stance here, but the player-side experience of free action changes dramatically as the game progresses.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Tredvolt wrote: »
    This is a long standing point of frustration for many players.  Free Action should not prevent positive movement enhancing buffs.  

Why not?

Because it's exactly the same deal as equipping a bow and a shield at once in the quickslots. Everyone can unequip the ring, drink a potion of haste, requip the ring and go on with their business. The downside can be avoided with tedious inventory management. It's just a big annoyance having to go through the process everytime. It doesn't add anything fun to the game.
    I'm pretty sure that counts as an exploit. While I agree that something should be done about it, there's no particular reason why the answer should be "allow haste to work on creatures with free action", as opposed to "make free action dispel/suppress haste". Either one would get rid of the hassle, and the latter seems more in line with the original design intent of the ability. Which doesn't mean it's the best option, but it does mean it's the natural one.
    Hm. as far as "exploits" go, even a toddler could accomplish this. It's arguably even just common sense. But yes it might just not be working as intended.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Dee wrote: »
    I like the idea, but it's a little outside the scope of what we can look at for the v2.0 update at this point.

That being said, it's a clear and specific idea, which means it would be a prime candidate for a Redmine ticket. Just set the tracker type to Feature.

Good feedback!

I just put it to Redmine as a Feature.
    I don't mean to suggest that it's difficult. As you point out, it's not. I mean to suggest that I would be extremely surprised if it was a result of anything other than developer oversight.
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    Free Action on an item on which it is ancillary, i.e. the +5 Flail of Ages, should not hinder Haste in my opinion. If you have the ring, that's a different story because that is the ring's primary purpose. That's my two-cents.
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    Eh, IMHO the Flail of Ages is so absurdly powerful - and so easy to get - that it really doesn't need the extra bonus of "Free Action Plus."

@subtledoctor I wouldn't mind it being removed from the flail altogether, to be fair, but I never got why it had to suddenly get a negative trait when you already spend all that time/effort collecting the other two heads.

That is to say, overall, I like that the free action ability is literal, and it's pretty true to the 'style' of D&D and to the game itself, truly, but I really...reallyreally love flails. That's the moral of this story.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Insultion wrote: »
    Free Action on an item on which it is ancillary, i.e. the +5 Flail of Ages, should not hinder Haste in my opinion. If you have the ring, that's a different story because that is the ring's primary purpose. That's my two-cents.

I purposefully never upgrade it to +5 because the Free Action makes it a much worse option than the +4 flail.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Items like Ring of Free Action are great as they add an element to the game that is missing from most items.

Cannot be slowed... but cannot be hasted. Is it worth equipping?

There are many items in Icewind that have both pros and cons for the player to weigh up. A ring that gives +1 Str, -1 Dex.

I normally just unequip the ring right before the haste spell is cast on me. Then if I remember I re-equip after.

I feel more items should make you think about whether they are worth it or not (though let's not go overboard).
    Keep in mind this isn't a competitive multiplayer game. Having "upgrades" is perfectly fine. Those items with negatives barely ever get touched for a reason. BG isn't designed around making inventory dilemma. You find better items and you put them on, the end!
    I don't play multiplayer games. I love finding and equipping better weapons. Who doesn't? But sometimes its nice to compare items and weigh up the costs/benefits.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    edited March 2016
    Ithual wrote: »
    Then if I remember I re-equip after.

Level up+

"I will change difficulty to get max HP"

2 hours after realize that didn't change difficulty back to Core Rules.
    h90zovd40d0a.jpg

It happend to me all the time. And I always reload to moment before this luckless level up popup.
    I'm pretty sure that "Then if I remember I re-equip after" won't work for me.

But that just me ;)

Hahaha @Sikorsky my point exactly. I never remember!!

Same with the leveling up and scroll scribing!! I think we've all been there
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Well now there's an option for Max HP at Level Up regardless of difficulty!