Skip to content

Fighter Mage Low HP

InsaneRufflesInsaneRuffles Member Posts: 1
Hello, so I just rolled a Multiclass Elven Fighter Mage, with 13 constitution and 17/17 in Intelligence and Strength. All other stats were 11 or 12. Upon starting the game, I noticed my HP was only 42! Is this normal? Did I do anything wrong? Obviously as a fighter/mage I planned on doing close combat and some tanking. That's a bit harder to do with such a low HP. My brother rolled a ranger with the same constitution and has 70 HP. If that is just the base HP for the Fighter Mage class, how do you guys suggest I play him? Thanks.

Comments

• prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Are you using Max HP on level up?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    A Fighter Mage will roll a maximum of 7 HPs (Fighter 1d10 + Mage 1d4 / 2) per level. 42 is the maximum HP they'll have at the start of SoA (Levels 6/6).

Fighter/Mages focused on melee usually make up for their lower HPs by using powerful protection spells (Stoneskin, Mantle, Protection from Magical Weapons, etc.) - it's usually a matter of preventing damage while you deal enough punishment to make things go down.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    If you're being touched by enemies as a F/M you're playing it wrong.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Shield, Blur, Mirror Image, Stoneskins, Spirit Armour, Protection from Magic Weapons... That's how you Fighter/Mage vs physical enemies.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    You can use vampiric touch spell or ability to temporally increase your hp. Also, draw upon holy might ability (if you have it) will increase your con, since you have 13 it will give you bonus to hp for the duration which is roughly 1 minute.

And also, call familiar spell. Hope you picked it as a 1st lvl spell, the scroll is somewhat trouble to find. It will give you permanent boost to hp as long as you keep the familiar in your pack and never let it fight. If the familiar dies you permanently lose con.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    An F/M is not a tank by default. Read the mage class description to figure out why.
    He can become one of the game's best tanks as you gain more powerful defensive spells , but until then you should avoid intentionally trying to tank stuff with your F/M.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Nuin wrote: »
    He can become one of the game's best tanks as you gain more powerful defensive spells , but until then you should avoid intentionally trying to tank stuff with your F/M.

...unless you are playing a specific, ranged type of a fighter/mage, use the melf's minute meteors a lot etc...
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    How are you tanking stuff if you're "a specific, ranged type of a fighter/mage, use the melf's minute meteors a lot etc..."?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Hit points are a lot less important than you think. As others have noted, it's defensive spells that will make you the best tank in the game, not hit points or armor class.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    While you can easily work with that amount of hit points, you should know that Con only gives extra hit points starting at 15. You could put more points in there.
    Potions of Fortitude are great for some nice extra HP. The girdle of fortitude too.
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    Indeed, the girdle of fortitude can make a great change (my elven fighter/mage/thief multi went from possessing one of the lowest hps in the party to having the most, so that can be a great help in this area).
    abacus wrote: »
    Shield, Blur, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Spirit Armor, Protection from Magic Weapons... That's how you Fighter/Mage vs physical enemies.

Protection From Evil, Improved Invisibility, Improved Haste.

You can walk around naked once you have Black Blade of Disaster.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    If you really, really want to be rock hard, you need to read a Flesh to Stone scroll.